Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've been doing some reading and you know how it is. You start by researching one thing (in this case, backup generators) and you wind up stumbling across all sorts of weird side topics.

I would have never thought of this, but it seems that some people who have gas wells on their property negotiated rights to tap that well for their personal use. IOW, some lucky folks have an unlimited supply of free natural gas. Apparently, many years ago this was a common contract provision. It's up to them to run the lines and the companies that own the wells, frankly, would prefer that no one exercise their options. Still, some people do.

Is anyone here familiar with how to work with a situation like that? If you had unlimited free natural gas, how would you go about using it to power your home and everything else that uses energy?
    Lynx Defense

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I'm a Landman. That used to be a fairly common provision in the leases (if the mineral owner negotiated right).

It's been years since I've seen a company accept the provision.

Pretty much a thing of the past.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Hmmm. I need to study some documents.

Salty, I've seen wells running under thier own power via separators and ajax one lung engines all my life.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Hmmm. I need to study some documents.

Salty, I've seen wells running under thier own power via separators and ajax one lung engines all my life.
    They will if you don't mind changing sheets for a Barton meter and having no communications/efms/electric controls.
    Theres nothing that translates to survival or cheap electricity. The compressors break down sometimes and require a Gauger to check them at least 1x/day. If it goes down you're sol until the Gauger comes back by.
    A lot of operators don't trust Barton meters for their sales either. I sure wouldn't. Separators usually don't have any problems except for high water or high pressures

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Well, so much for that idea. There are some nice, small generators that run on natural gas or propane. However, scaling up to whole-house application probably isn't a productive line of thought.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Contractors sell whole house generators that hook up to gas lines. Last storm netted a friend that has one a $1000 gas bill. But they waited out the power company with the AC running.

profound thinking about stuff

MrBigIron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Couldn't you collect and store the gas for use in vehicles? Seems like that might be a benefit?

Fred B.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Natural gas and compressed natural gas are used as vehicular fuels.

I found a site that shows where to buy alternative fuels. There are a few public refueling stations scattered across Texas, most in or near Houston and DFW, with a small handful in or near Austin, College Station, San Antonio and Midland. Given the range of the commercially-available CNG vehicles now on the market, if you're in Midland you can't get to any other metro area where you can fill up without running out of fuel. I guess there's an isolated colony of CNG enthusiasts out there. :)

MrBigIron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Hehehe, I guess I was thinking more of a SHTF situation where having a vehicle fuel supply might allow you to explore a little farther from base than you could on foot. Maybe in search of more game or other resources. I like the colony of CNG enthusiasts though... sounds sorta Koresh-ish. ;)

Fred B.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    right from the gournd it can be nearly odorless that why they add the odor to it to better detect leaks.
    that could be a safety issue using it without the odorant added

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Also, a whole lot of it directly from the ground is poison. Hydrogen Sulfide tainted gas. Extremely corrosive so it needs special equipment to properly deal with and can kill you in seconds in concentrations of 8 parts per million. A single breath of it and you're dead.

I think I'd leave messing with that stuff to the pros.

craftkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Rockport, Texas
    Also, a whole lot of it directly from the ground is poison. Hydrogen Sulfide tainted gas. Extremely corrosive so it needs special equipment to properly deal with and can kill you in seconds in concentrations of 8 parts per million. A single breath of it and you're dead.

I think I'd leave messing with that stuff to the pros.

8 ppm of H2S will not kill you OSHAs PEL on H2S is higher than that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Not to derail but someone mentioned having a source of fuel if it's unavailable at the pumps (SHTF). My truck runs off of either gasoline or propane with the flick of a switch. I'll eventually install a large propane tank behind the house connected to a large backup generator. I'll be able to refill the truck's propane tanks from the large tank... shhh... don't tell the tax man!!:D

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    You can find whole house generators to power you major appliances in case of an electric outage.

Some run on natural gas from a utility company, others run from portable propane tanks, and some others can be run from either in-ground or above ground 500+ gallon propane tanks.

Propane is quite expensive now, since the hard winter we had (global warming anyone?).

From a preparedness point of view, I would rather have an independent (albeit expensive) supply of LNG than to rely on a municipal utility.

When the electric generators quit running, there will be no power run the pumps that push natural gas through the pipelines.

I always keep two portable Propane tanks topped off -- just in case.

Top Bottom