• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I’ll add some information once I’m off work. Spent 7 years at Oregon freeze dry (mountain house) before leaving for Texas.
    DK Firearms

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I have a few cans of aug farm stuff but haven’t tried anything. My thought is have spices and butter on hand if the food needs it. Also olive oil. If you’re going to prep I suggest adding olive oil to your list. It’s not only good for you but is great tasting especially grilling with your favorite rub.

freeze dried items are great and it’s been a while so I forgot some terminology. Mountain house was and probably still is the best tasting. Though very salty. We had tastings with our product and competition brands at plant one. I was at plant two working mostly with cultures for probiotics or anything that needed said strains for ingredients. Now how those got packaged was by vacuum seal and oxygen being displaced by nitrogen. This step can result in outstanding life of product. Your percentage of oxygen in a room is in the low 20’s. These bags had to be tested at under 2%. Why I’m bringing this up is the propack pouches of food vs the regular. Regular pouches just had a person throw in an oxygen absorber before sealing. The pro pack bag is at least vacuum sealed. I do not know if that plant used nitrogen but even without the oxygen level will be drastically less knowing the type of machine used. With that said, r&d still had a regular pouch from the 60’s that passed the safe oxygen level. As long as good gmp’s remain in place, your mountain house food should last a long long time. That’s another reason I trust the brand. I’m familiar with the sop’s and gmp’s. I know I can trust the food. They do good work. Hard work. On the cold side, employees bucket product onto trays that get loaded onto giant carts that get pushed on tracks out of the cold rooms into a transfer cart that takes it to a giant chamber. So buy knowing your keeping hard working Oregonians working.

Just my immediate thoughts. I’ll contribute more once home and I get these knuckleheads out of the warehouse.

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

FIRST, as some folks who have come to eat at our place KNOW, I do NOT cook with or use SALT on almost anything but French Fries & eggs.
    (YES we have a salt shaker on the table to add to your food IF you wish.)
    AND
    All 3 of us drink a LOT of sweet milk.
    SO

1. Are there any salt-FREE or at least LOW-salt dried foods commonly for sale & that taste GOOD?
    2. What is a GOOD tasting WHOLE or 2% FAT content dried milk that keeps well for a LONG time, IF there is one??
    3. We eat a LOT of beans & rice at our house.
    (so they don't stay around long).
    Do any of you KNOW what the "shelf-life" of DRIED PASTA, RICE & DRIED PINTO, NAVY & other dried BEANS is??
    4. How long does VACUMN PACKED coffee/tea last??
    5. How long does DRIED FRUIT (like peaches, apricots & bananas) last in storage??
    and
    6. Any GOOD dehydrated EGGS for sale anywhere??
    (NO GREEN EGGS & HAM, Please.)

THANKS, satx, my lovely lady & Nathan Paul (age 17 months)

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    1. Are there any salt-FREE or at least LOW-salt dried foods commonly for sale & that taste GOOD?
    2. What is a GOOD tasting WHOLE or 2% FAT content dried milk that keeps well for a LONG time, IF there is one??
    Do any of you KNOW what the "shelf-life" of DRIED PASTA, RICE & DRIED PINTO, NAVY & other dried BEANS is??
    5. How long does DRIED FRUIT (like peaches, apricots & bananas) last in storage??
    and
    if freeze dried almost every meal has a butt ton of sodium. Check out mountain house granola milk and blueberries. Very delicious.

Pasta is easy to get most of the moisture out. Last a long time. I wouldn’t worry.

fruits if done right can last. I don’t know if these home freeze dryers have custom cycles you can input or not and the temperature they are frozen at matters a lot.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Also note that if you do ever do fruits you need to slice them. About 1/4” thick is fine for strawberries and thicker for apple slices is fine. Berries and peas need the skins nicked. Otherwise they will explode.

understand too doing fruit by any means at home means you have to act fast and run a dehumidifier in the room your in. They are moisture magnets when out of the dryer.

ScS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    saline
    To All,

FIRST, as some folks who have come to eat at our place KNOW, I do NOT cook with or use SALT on almost anything but French Fries & eggs.
    (YES we have a salt shaker on the table to add to your food IF you wish.)
    AND
    All 3 of us drink a LOT of sweet milk.
    SO

and

Shelf life of dry beans, white rice and pasta is about 2 years in original packaging. In mylar bags with oxygen absorbers, they are good for 10 years.
    I was surprised that nobody here has brought up mylar bags. The only real downside is if water is limited. The only things I don't use oxygen absorbers in is sugar and salt. They will turn into a brick that would have to be busted up with a hammer, or so I've heard. Keep the moisture out of sugar and salt, they should be good until the end of time.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown

Look for either Nido or Peak brand. Both are good whole dried milk.

3. Do any of you KNOW what the "shelf-life" of DRIED PASTA, RICE & DRIED PINTO, NAVY & other dried BEANS is??

These items will store many years if vacuum sealed. White rice will store much longer than brown rice.

I would expect a minimum of 2 years. Longer if kept in the freezer.

Mountain House has #10 cans of these freeze dried fruits and more that have a claimed shelf life of 25 years.

Look for the Ova Easy brand.

MarkTheNewf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Not
    I've only had the unsweetend stuff, but they do make a sweetened one....that said, I agree, it's less than ideal, but it's ok on cereal or to color-change coffee. I'm just wondering on the shelf life. If it's something that can hold up for months, might as well have a few on the shelf. The only thing is that the one brand I've had says that it should be refrigerated. It also says that it should be drank (while being refrigerated) in about a week.

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    canned goods (beans, peas, soup, sardines, tuna.....etc) have a finite shelf life and an expiration date due to the moisture content.

Dehydrated foods have no moisture so can be kept for decades. (I am trying to figure out which is the best).

The advantage of dehydrated vs. canned also comes down to an issue of space. A 10 day supply of dehydrated food for one person can easily be stored in a 5 gallon bucket. Not so with canned goods. Dehydrated foods also weigh much less than canned goods.

If you want to stock even 5 years worth of sardines, tuna, and spaghetti-os........be my guest.

But you will have a problem with rotating your stock every 2 years or so to keep it in date and will also have a transportation problem if you need to take your stash with you.
    Good to know, thanks for sharing .

Top Bottom