• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmnloader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2014
    DFW-Cisco, TX
    I picked this up at the range this weekend but I've never seen one with primer holes like this. I've only reloading hangun shells for a few years but........maybe it's more common than I think. I dont think there is a center hole.

photo14_zpsc30b0f43.gif
    DK Firearms

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Yup, it's Berdan. Nothing new. Mostly imported ammo. Usually steel cased, but not always. Can be reloaded, but not as easy as boxer primed.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    They are typcially standard on steel imports and aluminum (Blazer) ammunition. Lately, Blazer has been using boxer primers so punching out aluminun using a berdan primer check isn't as effective as it used to be. Pitch it and move on, not worth loading.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    An interesting bit of trivia, at least to me, is that the Berdan primer used in Europe was developed by an American, Col. Berdan.

The Boxer primer used in the US was developed by a Brit, Col. Boxer.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Yes, see it all the time.
    Berdan cases can be reloaded but it is a real chore. Special tools and primers needed.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Two flash holes = Berdan. Quite common in Europe and Asia. It is no chore to reload if you have the proper de-capping tool and a supply of primers. For all of us on this side of the pond, it hurts to throw high quality Berdan primed brass cases into the recycle bin.

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    arizona
    This is, or use to be, discussed in EVERY reloading manual. The OP may want to go back and re-read his/her reloading manuals.
    I find it interesting that Berdan was invented in the USA and Boxer was invented in England. So, since foreign is ALWAYS better, the US pretty much adopted Boxer priming only and Europe adopted Berden priming almost exclusively.
    To me, the manufacturing of Berdan cases means that there must be some really significant political reason for adopting it, and making non-reloadable cases seems quite likely.
    PS: Berdan cases come with one or two off-center flash holes.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Berdan makes perfect sense for the military. They don't care about reloading a cartridge and adding the anvil into the case removes that concern from the primer manufacture. Essentially, making the primer just a cup and adding the complexity to the brass, which is already far more complicated in terms of preparation. Two flash holes instead of one is also bright, like redundant contacts. Could be political, I just think it was probably a military decision. Oops, that would be political, wouldn't it?

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    It could be because Berdan primed ammo is cheaper to produce is the reason it's used in Europe.

US arms were sold with reloading tools and reloading was popular early in the US I've thought it was because stores were few and far between so people reloaded,

Top Bottom