• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eclipse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Grapevine
    I recently picked up a Stevens 200 in 223 at the Grapevine Academy for $ 179.99 plus tax.

I have been shooting for over 45 years and this cheap little rifle is one of the finest shooters out of the box that I have ever shot. I bought one of the Nitrex scopes for it and after sighting it in, it amazes me. 20" barrel centerfeed fixed magazine.

I plan on bedding the action to see how it shoots after that.
    Guns International

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I have read nothing but good things about many of the bottom end bolt action rifles from Stevens, Savage, Marlin, etc. Glad you are finding it to be true too.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Re: STEVENS 200 RIFLE

I saw a guy at the range shooting one of those and it seemed to shoot pretty well in spite of his flinch habit. He told me about the sale so I hot footed it over to Academy. I bought one in Pasadena chambered in .270 for that sale price. Have not fired it yet but have nothing but good words to say about it. The quality is there regardless of the inexpensive price.

I had a little trouble adapting a scope base to the long action. The Weaver base spaced the rings too far apart for the scope and the rings were positioned at the bell of the objective lens on the 3-9 50mm Tasco from WW. I got a special offset Weaver base that moved the forward base back a bit and the problem was solved for $7.50. I wanted to stay with inexpensive components and scope to see how well a budget rig would shoot. We'll see. I like the rifle enough to get another in 30-06 or 308 but doubt if that fantastic price will ever be seen again.

It's about time someone made a quality product for a reasonable price. Gotta give the Stevens 200 credit. Remington made a low end rifle by having a pressed in non removable barrel. This Stevens has that familiar Savage "big nut" mounting the barrel to the receiver and it uses the trigger the Savage used before the "Acutrigger" was introduced. The stock used is the older Savage design and as I recall, pillar bedded. The Stevens 200 design utilized all of the proven Savage features before their current upgrades. It's a nice, no frills rifle!

The down side? Can't say I'm wild about the color of the synthetic stock but that's just being picky.

Flash

eclipse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Grapevine
    You certainly can't go wrong at that price even if you only use it occasionally. Buds, (Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop) who usually has very good prices, sells them for about $317.00 delivered to FFL.

I actually stumbled into this. Academy had a flyer with a sale on the Stevens 200 for $ 179.99. I heard about it from a friend, but he did not know that the sale price was for the .270 or 7-08. I called Academy and asked if it was good on the 223. The guy said yes and I asked him to hold it for me as I was coming right over. He said sure. I drove to the store, did all the paperwork and went with the store manager to pay. The checkout lady said $ 319.00. The manager grabbed the flyer saw the .270 / 7-08 disclaimer. He said no big deal it was the last 223 in the store and that I could have it at that price.

Needless to say I will include Academy in my searches for firearm related purchases.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    I find Academy prices to usually be better than anyone else locally. The trick is they have to have what you are looking for, they can't special order. I have bought many pistols, a rifle, and my last Leupold scope (an employee named Steve mounted it for me) from Academy. I usually shop the two Academy's in Plano but did buy one pistol in Lewisville.
    I'm looking forward to the Cabela's opening in Allen next spring but I will always check Academy prices 1st when looking for sporting items.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I tried to get the special price on a 30-06 or .308 and failed. The counter guy told me why. They ordered a bunch of the 7-08 and .270 for the Christmas season and didn't sell ONE. There they sat.........and sat. I jumped on the .270. How the heck can you beat a .270 for $179?

Flash

Top Bottom