• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hboy35

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2017
    College Station
    I have a camping trip planned to the back country and am considering a lifestraw for my water consumption to reduce weight in my pack.

Anyone have experience with this? Did you ever use it to drink from streams/creeks/lakes? Taste? Get sick?
    thanks

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    I carry and have used a life straw, but I consider it a survival item first and a camping convenience second. My suggestion (based on my limited experience living out of a canoe on a river for a week at a time) would be a Sawyer Squeeze or a Sawyer Mini filtration system and a transfer bottle for clean water storage. The life straw doesnt readily provide an efficient manner to gather water for cooking, washing up, brushing teeth, etc in my humble opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The biggest drawback to the straw-type filter is that you still need a transfer/storage container. But, all water treatment systems need that, even the self contained bottles. Second biggest is you still want/need a pre-filter for the transfer/storage container.

My primary H2O processor is a MSR sweetwater with either iodine tablets or steripen for viruses. There are much better places to lose pounds of weight on a backpacking trip than water treatment. Next to oxygen, water is the most important thing you’ll need to stay alive and healthy.

I treat drinking and cooking water, cleaning may get treated or boiled, depending on circumstances.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    The biggest drawback to the straw-type filter is that you still need a transfer/storage container. But, all water treatment systems need that, even the self contained bottles. Second biggest is you still want/need a pre-filter for the transfer/storage container.

My primary H2O processor is a MSR sweetwater ......
    This^^^

MSR or Katadyn.

Done a lot of backcountry with a pump. Chase uses a ---- and of course thats months on end. He only goes lightweight.

(dont remember what he uses. Get back to ya later when I find out)

Hboy35

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2017
    College Station
    I carry and have used a life straw, but I consider it a survival item first and a camping convenience second. My suggestion (based on my limited experience living out of a canoe on a river for a week at a time) would be a Sawyer Squeeze or a Sawyer Mini filtration system and a transfer bottle for clean water storage. The life straw doesnt readily provide an efficient manner to gather water for cooking, washing up, brushing teeth, etc in my humble opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    This is just what I was looking for. Thanks so much! I will give the Sawyer system a look. thanks

Top Bottom