• ...and so much more!
  • Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Ever heard of BK ammo? I googled them and got only limited information one being that they are out of Helotes Texas the boxes the ammo is in says San Antonio, reason is I picked up 2 boxes of .357 for a good price looks like reloads along the lines of Ultramax,
    Texas SOT

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I know the US distributor for Aguila Ammunition (Centurion Ordnance, Inc.) is in Helotes (about a mile as the crow flies from my house), I wonder if it's the same place? Their website has been 'under revision' for a while. I tried going by there once, but it's not open to the public...

Cheers! M2

Slotback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    BK ammo. I've shot some of their reloads and never had any problems with it. That said, it has been a number of years since I've shot their stuff.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Finally have a two pics

615df6b3-11df-6f89.jpg

615df6b3-11ea-c7a3.jpg

You can see the different headstamps,
    but they are nickel cases both boxes I have.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Since you have mixed head-stamps, I would weigh every round and compare the net weights against a trusted reloading manual.

Not too long a ago, I bought a bag of 100 .357 Sig ammo. Seller said it was virgin brass and was loaded in his shop.

The price was good, but I still checked the ammo on a scale. It was all over the place.

Accounting for the weight of the brass (Star-Line) and projectiles (125 grain), I found a difference of 13 grains (from low to high).

I pulled all the bullets and poured the powder on the ground to fertilize what little grass I had after this last dry spell.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Weighing those rounds is an exercise in futility, the powder charge behind a commercial LSWC loading is so small as to make very little difference compared to the delta in brass weight. Brass weight is much more variable than anything else, even within the same headstamp. For instance, if you throw the weight on a 125gr jacketed bullet, you'll be within +/- 0.2gr with most being 0.1gr off for a quality bullet. Lead, you can expect the actual weight to be off but the variation will still be close, about +/- 0.4gr at the most. Powder variation will typically be +/- 0.1gr and the powder type will make little difference in pistol rounds in terms of variation for most loadings.

Now, go weigh some brass. You'll find multi-grain differences within the same lot, +/- 2gr isn't unusual in some brands and it can easily vary 10-15 grains brand to brand in pistol and 15-25 grains in rifle (span). The bigger the brass, the bigger the variation, both in caliber and length. You might find cases missing powder in certain instances but you won't be uncovering variation in any parameter with certainty since brass swamps all the others unless the powder charge is very large. Without actually pulling them apart and weighing the powder, there isn't much of a point.

If you are worried, leave them at the local PD for disposal.

shortround: 13 gr from high to low is interesting, what was the delta in powder weight from high to low when you took them apart?

Top Bottom