• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking to replace the aging Tasco 4x on my .308 with something that has a bit more power. I've looked at the Super Sniper scopes and while I like them a good bit, I do not want exposed adjustments. I know Leupold offers some fixed power stuff, along with Weaver. Weaver sells a very reasonable 6x, although I'm not sure I wouldn't like a little more power. Their 8x is almost double the cost for some reason, but I would probably keep it for a decade or more so it might be worth it in the long run.

Any ideas? I like the flexibility of an adjustible power scope, but all the extra pieces inside worry me. I'm not looking to break the bank so I know that limits my options.
    Hurley's Gold

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I've seen a few guys shooting with a Millet 10x at matches before. It's a relatively respectable scope and they are under $300 if I remember correctly. It’s been a couple of years since I’m been to a long range match and Millet has since changed owners or company structure or something so I don’t know if they are still the same quality as they were, but I’m sure you could find some reviews online.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The more adjustments, the more variable, the more the likelihood of failure or zero bump due to recoil, flexure, etc.

A fixed 10x scope is ideal for just about anything. The only argument is a field of view whilst hunting or shooting close range, but I don't find that prohibitively problematic.

deputy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    TX
    i am far removed from a benchrest target shooter..........

Tremors from high magnification drive me nuts field shooting. I like lower power for a larger field of view and better light gathering capability in the deer pasture.
    My rifles wear 4x and 2x7.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Fixed will always be more clear and less subject to moving off of zero. And the power depends on the ranges you will shoot. Out to 100 yards, a 6x will do fine on a .308. You won't see flees on a dear, but you should be able to hit a kill zone pretty well. The higher power scopes will be less effective at shorter ranges. Your field of view is much reduced. So it's a trade off.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    i am far removed from a benchrest target shooter..........

Tremors from high magnification drive me nuts field shooting. I like lower power for a larger field of view and better light gathering capability in the deer pasture.
    My rifles wear 4x and 2x7.

LOL, yeah a 20x+ scope will show you your heart rate through the scope. Drink any caffeine or shoot something with some recoil and it'll look like you are dancing.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I have a 4x on my FN which I hunt deer with and love it, but on my varment long shot rifles there are high power variable scopes.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The little 4x does it's job just fine, but I think a move to 6 or 8 would be great. I'll give Millet scopes a look, I really haven't heard much of anything about them other than knowing their existence.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have a Leupold 7 power on my 30-06. it'll do 300 and 100 the bulls-eye is frigging huge at 50. LOL. But I doubt I'll change it anytime soon. But if I do it will only be to a 3x9x40.

Lastshot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Texas
    The 3-9 power scope is the most common power scope for deer hunting. Most will leave the scope at the 3x power though for FOV.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    If you can find one in good condition, Lyman All American is an amazing fixed power scope. I've got a 6x mounted on a .240 wby mag. that has been there since the 70's and still holds true and is as clear as a polished bell.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Luna2020
    Top Bottom