Capitol Armory ad

anyone at the saxet today? Dissappointed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    The economy for guns must be bad. I didnt see many deals, most were over priced.

I got 5 inquires about my taurus and none wanted to pay more than 325 for it, which is a rip off. So im selling it to my ffl guy for what I need for it. I was talking to this older man at his gun table and he said if it was his pistol he wouldnt even buy it for what he offered me. Not many commie pistols either. I did see more saiga's than normal going for a lot more than J & g has them listed.

Heck guys I dont think I even saw one ak-74 and there were too many non gun vendors there this time. This one guy I buy pmags from went up 3 dollars more so I went to another table and paid 12.95 for a 30 rounder.

Am I the only who experienced this today?
    Texas SOT

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    I can't stand the Austin shows. I find better deals at retailers and would rather support the local guy. I have never made a private purchase from someone walking around although I have sold that way.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Wow, it's been a while since we drove up for the SAXET show in Austin (I think we went to the first one about two years ago), and it's sad to hear that it's starting to slide. The one here in San Antonio seems to be going strong but it is the same stuff every month. Occasionally there is something new which is why we continue to go (well, that and the fun of going to a gun show with other folks!) but honestly the Premier Guns show at the Expo Center behind Freeman Coliseum is better (and worth the drive if you're able to 10-11 December).

The SA SAXET show is next weekend, we'll see if we get the same results then.

Cheers! M2

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    I was at the show Sat morning. There was a good crowd, lots of stuff being carried around with most, as observed being very much over valued by the owner, as was much of the stuff on the tables. However, asking price and selling price are usually different and may be a great deal better when the seller has had a few turns around the tables and no offers.

I did not purchase anything. Though I did have a list of things I was looking for I could not find what I was after, yet had seen the items at prior shows. There seemed to be sufficient numbers of folks doing business to make it a successful show, at least for some.

I find the guns shows to be like used car lots, some times you have to walk a few before you find your prize. And like fishing, any time spent walking a gun show, regardless of the outcome, is sure better than working.

Disappointed, yes, but there is always the next show..

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I've always found the bigger the show, the easier it is to haggle over price. If there is a chance that you can find the same item from a different vendor, and maybe at a lower price, you can 'negotiate' with a seller. But smaller shows or more rarer items are tougher to deal on...

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I was at the show Sat morning. There was a good crowd, lots of stuff being carried around with most, as observed being very much over valued by the owner, as was much of the stuff on the tables. However, asking price and selling price are usually different and may be a great deal better when the seller has had a few turns around the tables and no offers.

I did not purchase anything. Though I did have a list of things I was looking for I could not find what I was after, yet had seen the items at prior shows. There seemed to be sufficient numbers of folks doing business to make it a successful show, at least for some.

I find the guns shows to be like used car lots, some times you have to walk a few before you find your prize. And like fishing, any time spent walking a gun show, regardless of the outcome, is sure better than working.

Disappointed, yes, but there is always the next show..

Yes there was a crowd, I was there till noon.

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    I was there yesterday. I saw quite a few ak's so they must have sold already.

There were a couple of sellers with good deals but most were not. Yeah, that mag seller that used to be cheap was charging top dollar for their mags.

One of the sellers told me there was another gun show in Texas this weekend and, as a result, they did not have as much stuff out as usual.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I got some "cheaper" pmags than I expected and I talked down a gun case about $13.00 from asking. It wasn't huge, but I will say this..... There are so many less thugs(of all walks of life) walking around the show now compared to when it was up on north Lamar.

I don't think I saw one M&P 9... lots of 40's though. My impression on pistol prices were not that bad though to be completely honest and people had their cash discounts as usual.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    The prices I saw for a glock 22 was 25-35 higher than I paid for at a local small gun shop. It's a good show but, the last two shows were better.

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    There was the show at Bell County Expo in Belton, perhaps that would account for the show seeming different then usual?

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I was able to slip out to the Saxet show for about an hour on Sunday. It seemed like there may have been slightly less vendors there than usual, but only slightly. I'm not sure what exactly you were looking for, but there were at least two vendors there that had very competitive prices on the two pistols I was interested in (STI Spartan and Walther PPQ). I don't know if it's against the rules to mention names so I won't but I ended up getting the Spartan and he knocked $15 off because all he had left was the display model. The dealer with the PPQ had it listed for about $40 less than I've been seeing it on GunBroker. Both of those tables had a boatload of guns on display - maybe their other prices were high, I don't know, but not on the Spartan or the PPQ.

I wasn't looking specifically at AK's because I was a bit pressed for time but it did seem like past shows had a lot more sitting out than this one did.

Having said that, Saxet is OK but I went to the San Antonio Gun Show the previous weekend and it is far superior.

pwrincross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Pflugerville,TX
    I went Sunday and it was a bit slow. I go all the time and have gotten to know some of the vendors. One told me that they had three shows going that weekend so their inventory was divided up among the shows. I was also told by one vendor that he thought that the fires around Austin and Bastrop might have had an effect on attendance. The NRA man at the front said that he usually had sold 65 memberships by Sunday afternoon but he only had 31 at that time. I just got the sense that it was a dead time at the show. The show usually falls on the 3rd Saturday of the month but this month it was on the 4th so it was a little later in the month. This may have caused the conflict with the other shows. Still, I like looking and touching, and getting prices and talking about guns!!

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I'm sure they compete with all the local festivals for attendance, as well as Oktoberfest that will be going on all over for the next 4 or 5 weeks..

Top Bottom