• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    I missed out on the Stainless Steel guns but they recently had a few blued guns. The look like the second gen style with a locking pin for the charging rod and still have the older front and rear sights. I imagine it'll be well used. After I get it and clean it up I'll post pics.

If you have one of these or just have an old one with the pencil barrel let me have your thoughts. I had one a long time ago and know it's not very accurate (4 MOA) is about average.

I know they make a barrel stabilizer kit for these older models, but I'm not willing to put out another $130 on a plinker. I've got a couple nice AR 15s for the "exacting" work.
    ARJ Defense ad

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I enjoy the hell out of my early 80s vintage Mini-14. Sure it's not as accurate at 100 yards as an AR, but then in the real world I've never had a 100 yard line-of-sight on anything I've needed to shoot...

I'm planning to drop the $130 on an Accu-Strut, though. Not only will it make the rifle more accurate (not that I have complaints - with iron sights it's as accurate as I am) but I like the look of them, too.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I have a stainless 185 series. It's a fun rifle to shoot, but like you say, not all that accurate. Or maybe it's just me. Even with the AccuStrut and Amega top rail this is the best I could do from a bench. Not open sights tho. Using a 5 MOA Cabela's red dot. At 100 yards using AE .223, still looks like about 3.5 MOA. The Accustrut does help, but the main thing it does is reduce the vertical stringing that the older minis are know for after a few quick shots.

35627412015_3203f88993_c.jpg

Attachments

• 35627412015_3203f88993_c.jpg
      35627412015_3203f88993_c.jpg
      58.5 KB · Views: 499

cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    Went by Blackjack guns and did the paperwork for the one I bought. But I left it there for AJ to do a deep cleaning, inspection and parts replacement if need. I've bought other LEO trade-ins from AIM, all pistols, and one literally wouldn't fully chamber a round without being slapped on the back of the slide it was so dirty. How the officer who carried it didn't end up dead is beyond me.

The wooden stock was beat up and the number "5" was on the pistol grip end. It's also missing the rear sling post, there's just a hole there now. Maybe it didn't fit in the car gun rack with it on. Who knows.

There are 4 straight lines scratched into the frame on the left side. Maybe the number 1111 or as I jokingly said "Maybe someone scratched each time they used it in the field instead of notching the wooden stock.

Anyway, it'll be a while before I shoot it. Too much to do around the house and stuff and there are many other new-to-me guns to shot first. I'll get pictures when I pick it up from Blackjack.

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    The Accustrut does help, but the main thing it does is reduce the vertical stringing that the older minis are know for after a few quick shots.
    View attachment 171919
    I've got a 195 series, 1999 Ranch Rifle that would walk off the paper within a few shots.
    Put an Accu-Strut on it, and at the suggestion of Accu-Strut's owner, a muzzle brake as well. Obviously not for recoil, but to change the harmonics of that wimpy little barrel. I also put an aftermarket Tech Sights brand rear sight on it.
    I think it shoots better than yours. Maybe not quite half that group, but in that direction.
    Try putting some sort of weight out towards the muzzle of yours and see if that tightens your group up.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I switched out the Cabela's red dot with an older Primary Arms AMD that I had. Took it to the range and sighted it in today. I was making tiny little groups at 25 yds. Only needed a click of left windage to get it right on. The damn PA sight started cutting out after every shot, so I didn't take it out any farther.

Top Bottom