• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Throwing around the idea of building an officer sized 1911 in 10mm eventually. I've found magazines for this and there are a few of them out there. It won't be used for anything real, just be something sort of ridiculous that I have.

I'm just not all that familiar with the different parts for different calibers out there. I can't really find a whole lot of info on what frame and slide to get, and everyone seems to only sell .38 and .45, so one of those?
    Guns International

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Just got some more research done. I know where to get everything but a frame now, and that's what I need help with.

I can't really find anyone that sells officer sized frames in .40 or 10mm, but .45 and .38s frames are no problem. Could it be possible to turn one of these frames into the correct configuration with some light machining? Is there any specifications out there for this?

Thanks.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Kimber and Colt both build 10mm 1911s. Try contacting those companies to see about getting one of those frames customized to officer size, and see how much they'd charge. Then find a few good, competent gunsmiths around your area and ask them the same thing.
    After that, you can decide for yourself who's got the better price, etc.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Alright I think I figured this out.

I'll just have the feed ramp in the frame cut out and use a ramped barrel instead. Now I just have to decide what barrel ramp design I want to go with.

poke81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Granbury/ Kabul
    You wont get a "custom" such as this as listed above from Colt or Kimber. You need to look at Fusion Firearms. I believe he even has an Off 10mm/40 slide listed. With the round you will want it to be ramped instead of the normal non ramped barrel to help support the case.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    You wont get a "custom" such as this as listed above from Colt or Kimber. You need to look at Fusion Firearms. I believe he even has an Off 10mm/40 slide listed. With the round you will want it to be ramped instead of the normal non ramped barrel to help support the case.

That actually makes a lot of sense to support the 10mm case as much as possible, and confirms that I need a ramped barrel.

I think I'll go with a Schuemann ultimatch barrel with a para ramp with a short chamber and get it chambered for 10mm. I think I'll go with Caspian for the frame and slide because I can have them do the major machining I'll need done.

I still need to figure out what I'm going to do for a recoil spring system. The barrel is flared at the front so I can't have a normal bushing. I think the smaller Kimbers use a dual captured recoil rod, but people are hating that little paper clip tool you need to field strip. It also needs to be pretty stout I imagine to keep the lighter-than-intended slide from reaching warp speed and beating the hell out of the frame. I guess the Wilson Combat two piece guide rod and reverse plug looks good, but is field stripping a pain in the ass? Then the 300 round life for the spring . Oh well, what I had in mind, this wouldn't be shot a whole lot anyways.

Pocketfisherman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    The Kimber Custom Compacts use a flared bull barrel and no bushing in the slide. Maybe one of their slides would work? Also, have you considered a 460 Roland; IE 45ACP long? the realguns.com site has a good series of articles on such a conversion and the load workup data for it and parts sources.

Top Bottom