• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    If i was going buy one, it would probably be the PS4. Strictly based on the stronger graphics subsystem, and the fact that I don't want a 1080p camera for the kinect pointed at my living room and attached to the internet.

If you bought either one, I would love to hear your review.

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    Since neither of them are backwards compatible in any way, I find it very difficult rationalizing buying a $400 to $500 new system and then having to purchase all new games at $60 each to play it.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Since neither of them are backwards compatible in any way, I find it very difficult rationalizing buying a $400 to $500 new system and then having to purchase all new games at $60 each to play it.

I dunno I still have an old xbox. I haven't played an xbox game in years. But I soft modded it and play a lot of Mario brothers.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    My brother's friend let him borrow his ps4 for a week. Unfortunately the only games we have are 2k14 and madden. 2k14. 2k14 had this huge framerate issue when we played last night. Idk what it was but it lasted for a minute, it was like lag, but we weren't playing online.

I'm going to wait some before I buy this one

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    I dunno I still have an old xbox. I haven't played an xbox game in years. But I soft modded it and play a lot of Mario brothers.

The answer I got when I asked about why there was no backwards compatibility was that the new technology was too advanced to play the old technology games.

Sadly that was the actual answer I got, although I think from looking at that statement, perhaps the new games are being coded differently to maximize frame rates and higher resolutions. Reminds me of trying to get FF7 to play on my new system... With a few modifications it was able to run, but still quite buggy at times. I'd guess that's what they are running into and don't want the negative feedback from having buggy games from previous systems.

Plus, let's face it, it's Christmas time, and it's MUCH more profitable to come out with a new system that requires new games. :)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Looking at the total system, the PS3 offers much more right now as far as capabilities go.

Main change in the two systems was the code used to write games, Sony has backed off the old code that made it much more difficult to port games over to their system so it should mean a lot more variety in PS4 games without the negative effects found in some previously ported games.

PS4 is supposed to come out with patches in the future to allow media streaming and other capabilities present in the PS3 system and at that point it will become a consideration. Still, I play much less now that the FPS games are becoming geared towards online play, I like a good campaign and story line and my location makes a good Internet connection very expensive and still not "good".

Sony hasn't said it and probably never will but I believe the PS4 system was rushed to market ahead of schedule. The PS3 system was supposed to be upgradable and last about 5 more years but I think Microsoft forced their hand with the release of the XBox1. They had to put something out, or be left in the dust and lose the mainstream users like Nintendo did.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Consoles have fallen behind in technology and will probably always lag behind from this point on. My two year old desktop computer is still on par with the new consoles and by the time I build a new one next year it will greatly exceed them both. PC's will always be the best platform for a true gamer and with today's prices you can build a decent rig that will run all current games for the same $500 and upgrade it later as needed. I'll probably pick the Xbox One up sometime next year for the media center aspect.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    I bought the Xbox One for the days that I have custody of my two boys. Have to keep up with the whole Dad's apartment is cooler than Mom's house theme! I'm not a gamer at all but I did notice that it finally plays Blu Ray discs. I had previously bought a Playstation 3 for that same reason so I could minimize what's parked under the TV. My son would rather lug the Xbox 360 back and forth than play the Sony. Ended up being a very expensive Blu Ray player for me. He will still probably drag his Xbox around until I build a decent game library but I got another Blu Ray player in the meantime!

W

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Good call. I should consider PS3. What did happen to Nintendo? Wii was a wild success. Wii U seems to be not half as popular.

The GameCube was the first effort for Nintendo to catch up to new systems at the time and was a huge failure and too unstable.

The Wii had tons of promise and was awesome in some respects. Nintendo killed it for most older gamers by requiring all accessories utilize the original controller. This made most of the mock guns awkward for use in FPS games that are the biggest console sellers these days. It was still a descent platform for them and actually let you point and shoot but lost points for their choice to lock out many controller options. The graphics were also way behind other systems but it didn't stop CoD from becoming one of my favorite games and played over many PS2 games. Game selection for the older crowd was limited also taking away a big chunk of sales.

The Wii U just seems pointless to me and with all the other systems offering motion controllers also the Wii lost its main appeal over other systems. Nintendo opened the door on motion controllers but flipped in the console and game selection letting Sony and Microsoft adapt and create their own control systems leaving Nintendo in the dust once again.

I'm no expert and not a hardcore gamer, just what I see and my reasoning for leaving the Wii behind.

SantiSM

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Spring
    I got an Xbox One as an early xmas gift from the in-laws (my wife likes to game).. the graphics are awesome, tons of voice commands..
    cable tv is run through it, etc. lots of cool technology, but still has alot of bugs that need fixing..

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I'll stick with the Xbox Kinect I got last year for a couple more years. No sense buying a new system if I have a perfectly good one sitting right here.

Top Bottom