• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kuhuna

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    The "Cloud"
    I just inherited a small coin collection and would like to sell all of them. Before I make a list and take the photos I was just wonding what the interest would be.
    Capitol Armory ad

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    I have collected coins since I was 7 years old... I've never sold a one... PLEASE don't sell them to someone that wants them for melt value... it's like killing kittens or puppies, or children... or even worse...

Interested... but for collecting, not scrapping/murdering history...

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    not scrapping/murdering history...

If you are familiar with coins, then you know that silver coins that are not up to the standards for collectors are bought, sold and traded based on silver content. Not necessarly for melting down, but for ease of managing that type of investment. Go to any coin show, and you will find thousands of these coins that are solely valued for their silver content being moved. Usually in cash transctions with no paper trail of any kind. In the event of financial crisis, this type of item will become more valuable than paper money due to it's intrinsic value. A collection of silver coins, that are not suited for a serious collector, will be a valuable asset to have. It's not murdering history, a little hyperbole there from you, it's wise planning for future needs. Just because something is old, does not make it historical or valuable on it's own. Old crap is still old crap. But silver coins that are worn beyond collector value still have a place in the market. That is what my friend is interested in.

Kuhuna

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    The "Cloud"
    Give me some time and I will put together a detailed list of what I have. I will also take some pics. FYI-I would like to sell the collection as a whole.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    It's not murdering history, a little hyperbole there from you, it's wise planning for future needs. Just because something is old, does not make it historical or valuable on it's own. Old crap is still old crap. But silver coins that are worn beyond collector value still have a place in the market. That is what my friend is interested in.

I agree with "owning" it for the value of the metal as long as not bought for melting because it can still be looked at fondly by a collector that may not have the $$$ to own pristine examples of the same coin. I have a three cent nickel that I bought when I was probably about 12 years old. It has a hole drilled in it that was later filled by someone. That is the kind of history I am talking about, I often think about when and who drilled the hole in that coin. Then who and why it was filled in? The same coin without the hole would have probably cost $50 or more at the time I bought it, but at 12 all I could afford was the drilled one. Perhaps I am just a collector to the extreme, but people that melt the silver make me sick... A serious collector and an investor are often similar and yet sometimes worlds apart I guess...

Top Bottom