• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    I'm not what you would call a hardcore doomsday "prepper"--but as time goes on I'm starting to think more about at the very least preparing for social unrest and/or a break in the continuity of public services like water, food, policing, and etc. As we all know, there's better safety in numbers, and in small groups people can leverage each other's varying skills.

So I'm curious...has anyone here thought about creating a group? One where folks can get together to improve their odds of surviving any break in our current standard of living?
    Capitol Armory ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Better be real sure of those you put in your inner circle, people tend to change when SHTF.

The level of stress would be higher than most have ever experienced, that causes conflict and short tempers. Some people will snap, others will step up, some will become very callous an cold, others will want to help every lost soul with nothing to eat.

Yes, I've considered it and how the people I know would work out. Some I discount because I don't think they could handle it, others because they have family members whose actions I believe would endanger my family. Don't forget that more people also means more food, more water, and more opportunity for conflict within your circle.

Whatever you decide, make plans now because IF it ever happens it will be too late to figure everything out.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I agree with YG. You better know who you are grouping up with.

There will always be a percentage that show up with absolutely nothing but feel entitled because they are part of the group.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    Better be real sure of those you put in your inner circle, people tend to change when SHTF.

The level of stress would be higher than most have ever experienced, that causes conflict and short tempers. Some people will snap, others will step up, some will become very callous an cold, others will want to help every lost soul with nothing to eat.

Yes, I've considered it and how the people I know would work out. Some I discount because I don't think they could handle it, others because they have family members whose actions I believe would endanger my family. Don't forget that more people also means more food, more water, and more opportunity for conflict within your circle.

Whatever you decide, make plans now because IF it ever happens it will be too late to figure everything out.

Agreed. Some of the people you think you know will in fact turn into someone completely different.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have recently joined the prepper movement. Just this last weekend, I bought 2 cases of beer, "just in case."

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    people are people, especially when trapped in a corner. I figure if it gets down to choice between my family and someone else's family starving, someone else is gonna make sure it's their family that eats. Welcome to the jungle baby.

SHTF = STFA

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Interesting thread. A friend asked me recently, do you think we should talk to our neighbors about SHTF scenarios? I said no. I do not want the neighbors knowing anything about my preparation plans and gear. If the scenario ever does materialize, the folks that are prepared will be inundated by those who are not. I don't know my neighbor's families and friends. Loose lips sink ships and all that.

Just read "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen with the forward by Newt Gingrich. I've recently read "Enemies Foreign and Domestic: The Reconquista, Enemies Foreign and Domestic and Foreign Enemies And Traitors by Mathew Bracken. All 4 books are good reading and a glimpse into the life after a SHTF scenarios.

Life would not be easy nor survival guaranteed.....

Last edited:

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    One thing that needs to be defined is what "SHTF" means.

The nature, duration and intensity of the "event" dictate the course of action.

Here is a fairly basic exercise I run with groups. Pick a utility. Let's say town water. Pretend you had to live without it for 3 days, 3 weeks and 3 months. How would you cope? Do you have an alternate water source? How long will it last?

Notice how the duration of the problem has an impact on you're solution.

Now add in roving gangs who want to steal your water because their family needs it and they know you have it.

Notice that the intensity has a huge impact on the situation.

I used water because without it your dead. If you don't know how to purify water, learn. If you don't know how to can food, learn. If you don't know basic field medicine, learn. I assume everyone hear owns a long gun but if you don't buy one. Mosins are cheap, buy two ;)

TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Basically...lots of ammo, water, food, lighters, alcohol, women to whore out, and maybe some gold for later?

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    TAVM, not a bad start ;)

Just remember to get a skill or two others may need as well.

Top Bottom