ARJ Defense ad

Anyone following the "Elio" enclosed trike?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DetourDFW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Concept is a cool idea, 80mpg enclosed trike for under 7k$ that comes with AC and a stereo? I don't believe the mpg figure, as all manufacturers tend to pad the results. I used to ride a Kawasaki 650R, supposedly was good for 50mpg but never saw anything above 35mpg(-1/+2, slip on, pcIII). The Elio doesn't look very good imo, but if it ends up at getting 70+mpg while still having a 0-60 under 10sec it would be an amazing commuter...
    Gun Zone Deals

dvmpiper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Terrell, Tx
    Yeah, I have. I used to follow the Aptera, but it fell through. Going to wait and see what comes of this. They are a bit ahead, as they have an actual manufacturing plant and are touting readily available, proven function pieces and parts.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Never heard of it.

As for rated mileage, I've found I can get the rated mileage out of most vehicles, I'm just not willing to drive with the care required to do it. The slip on and programmer will generally decrease your MPG btw.

My bike is rated around 50. I've gotten upwards of 60 and usually get mid to upper 40s.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    For those that don't know wtf it is....................
    Elio Motors: Ultra High Mileage Car

dsc_0014a.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    At only 55hp, I bet the mileage drops like a rock when you kick the AC on or run against the wind.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Still, I've known people who look at bikes to save money on gas. This could fill that role at the same cost and be much more comfortable when the weather gets ugly.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Motorcycles are terrible aerodynamically. An enclosed trike like this should get much better mpg than a comparable bike. I'm wondering why it's only making 55hp with 900cc displacement, tho... Must have a decent amount of room for tuning in there.

This appeals to the nerd side of me. I've thought of building an enclosed trike before and at under $7k this seems like a viable option.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Motorcycles are terrible aerodynamically. An enclosed trike like this should get much better mpg than a comparable bike. I'm wondering why it's only making 55hp with 900cc displacement, tho... Must have a decent amount of room for tuning in there.

This appeals to the nerd side of me. I've thought of building an enclosed trike before and at under $7k this seems like a viable option.

Good point on the aerodynamics.

55hp seems about right to me. Same ballpark as V-twin bike engines, not sure where splitting the displacement between 3 cylinders would push it compared to a 2-cylinder though.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Lower-revving engine that makes more torque.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Yeah, that makes sense. I found a picture of the motor... It's a SOHC, cross-flow head, maybe variable valve timing, and a pretty generous looking intake. I just find it interesting that in 1968 Fiat was making a 903cc pushrod motor fed by a carb and points ignition that was putting out 52hp and managed to get 40+mpg in a 4 wheeled car. All we get for the last 46 years of innovation is 3hp? :laughing:

Well... I suppose we get better C[SUB]d [/SUB]resulting in better mpg. I am kinda tempted to put $100 down to reserve one just for the hell of it. I like quirky things.

994595_10201274544259669_140706107_n.jpg

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I'm going to wait until they get all the kinks out of early production models. I was thinking of buying a CanAm but the Elio is a bit more practical but I'd get rid of those ugly front wheel skirts and take it to a tuner to bump up the HP.

For roughly $7000 less than the CanAm it's the perfect platform to tinker with :)

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    If I can get one I plan to get one for my family needs.

For some reason though I think the price will hike once they try and insure them as a company.

I'd love to see them put a small turbo charged diesel engine in there.

Top Bottom