• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Another 10 minutes after ben left I showed up and they had parking for a bunch more cars bunch of people left as I pulled into the grass lot

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Tried to call you to tell you but you didn't asnwe. must have been back in bed or driving.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    556nutts a weird dude don't know if yall should go anywhere with him I was skeered.:green:

Nah hes a good guy Id go shooting with him I believe

Heres a picture of him with his buddies.
    goldrush.jpg

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Ammo prices were high, is that correct?
    There were certainly some gougers, but I was surprised to see that at least some things were coming down to where they were almost not overpriced at all. Saw some boxes of Critical Defense 9mm for $17, for example. I was shocked. There was plenty of .22LR there, in 500-round bricks even, and the pricing was high but not obscene. I think the "Choot 'em" boxes of mini-mags were like $65 or so; I've seen people asking $150+ for those before. Saw some 50-round Federals for $4 a box; of course, I got those at Academy a couple months ago for $2.50/box, but still, 8c/round is nearly reasonable for today's market. Some of the 500-round bricks were under $40, I think. Or maybe those were 333-rounds... in any case, yes it's higher than it should be, but at least they're not as stratospheric as they once were.

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    The parking was insane, yes. The lot was nearly 100% full; I stole a spot because my car was tiny, but guys with pick-em-up trucks weren't gonna find a spot in the main lot. Cars were all over the grass and around the corner and lining the street. Carpool if you can.

556nutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    N. Houston
    556nutts a weird dude don't know if yall should go anywhere with him I was skeered.:green:

Nah hes a good guy Id go shooting with him I believe

Heres a picture of him with his buddies.
    goldrush.jpg

Were's my freakin gold!!!!!!! Thats funny. Show was a flop execpt the entertainment of watching people gettin stuck in the field. 1 f250 &1 bmw. That was redneck entertainment at its finest. Met up with AKMike and have to remind myself to do background checks more often. :) Nice meetin ya

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    If Texasjack tells me he saw large rifle magnum primers, I'll go back tomorrow and arrive a long time before opening.

Does anybody know how long before opening the main lot filled up today?

First, I saw 2 tables with a few boxes of primers - and they were kinda buried in with a lot of other stuff. I did not see large rifle primers. (I think it was large and small pistol.) A guy near the door had a few primers and maybe 3 odd cans of gunpowder ("odd" meaning stuff I've never used). Last time they had this show in TW, I got primers, powder, and some bulk bullets, but none of those folks were at this show.

As far as when the parking lot filled up, I got there at 9:02 am. There were probably 10 spaces left and I was parked in the next to last row. The security folks let the line move inside and doubled it around to the far end of the entrance hallway. It wasn't really crowded inside; parking is the limitation, not trade space.

A friend of mine went about 3 pm and was able to park in the lot.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    OK, I live 10 minutes from this show so I went. Obviously, the attitude documented in this post would not have been the same if I had come from an hour away; please keep that in mind.

Parking is usually bad at this venue so I planned on waiting until after lunch when people were leaving. It turns out that, apparently, I wasn't the only one with that idea.

I didn't even bother to go inside. The parking lot was full. The overflow lot was full. The field across the street was full; I think it's a powerline right-of-way, but not sure. The ditches on Pruitt were all full, despite the fact that the promoter explicitly tells people not to park there. It took me over 20 minutes to pull into the main lot, figure out that there were no spaces (or that any spaces that opened up were instantly filled by other bozos like me), and get back out.

Call me a wuss, but I have no desire to park a mile away and get charged money to struggle through dense crowds. When I finally got free of the traffic, I headed home.

If Texasjack tells me he saw large rifle magnum primers, I'll go back tomorrow and arrive a long time before opening.

Does anybody know how long before opening the main lot filled up today?

PS - The promoter is missing a major revenue stream. They could charge $20 per car to park in the main lot. People would be pissed, sure, but with this many people trying to get in there would be enough takers to fill that lot and seriously add to the bottom line.

If I had a nickel for every time I did this, I'd be a rich man. In fact, I did it last time they had this show.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    It wasn't bad. No worse than any other gun show better than some people vs walking room wise

sent from the bathroom

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Thanks for the report Ben. I'm not driving nearly 200mi for THAT.

If you gotta drive that far for a show the only one worth making the trip for is the HGCA one at Reliant Center. When it's not happening the same time as SHOT.

Easily 2-3x the size of the High Caliber or Premier shows and most of the big dealers in TX show up. A lot more used stuff you could haggle over too.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    High Caliber at the GRB next weekend. They have been the better of the poor selection lately.

Remember when there was only one show a month, they seemed much better.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    If you gotta drive that far for a show the only one worth making the trip for is the HGCA one at Reliant Center. When it's not happening the same time as SHOT.

Easily 2-3x the size of the High Caliber or Premier shows and most of the big dealers in TX show up. A lot more used stuff you could haggle over too.
    Yup, I usually go to HGCA shows. Didn't make the January show not because of SHOT but rather no spare jingle. :mad:

Oneeyebear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2014
    My wife and I went to the woodlands show today. It was certainly better than the California gun shows, but that wasn't very surprising.
    Unfortunately, we were not able to purchase the gun that my wife wanted because we have not yet switched our drivers license to Texas. However, I was able to pickup 50 rounds of 9mm hollowpoint reloads for $22 from Lone Star Ammunition.

Top Bottom