• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 556nutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    N. Houston
    Just dont want it to be like the cleveland show last year. It was a bunch of bubbas with overprice stuff. I dont think i have ever been to this one before so its pretty much just a go and see thing. Would like to find some AR and scope parts

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    most people at shows have over priced stuff lol.

'tis a viscous circle. some try to keep their prices low to generate sales and repeat customers. however, with low(er) margins, means if the customer turnout is light, it's hard to turn a profit after expenses. So the net result is that some vendors and customers don't re-attend the shows.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    That's the same sponsor as the last show in Stinkadena. If the same dealers go it isn't too bad.

They had lots of ARs, optics and whatnot. One table even had a Glock 42. I got my Python for a pretty good price from the last show. There were a few good deals here and there.

Edit: Hmm no scratch that. Last Stinkadena show was a High Caliber one. Premier was the week before last. It still had lots of ARs and doodads though.

Last edited:

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I'm going out of boredom more than anything but may pick up a few AK parts

sent from the bathroom

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Edit: Hmm no scratch that. Last Stinkadena show was a High Caliber one. Premier was the week before last. It still had lots of ARs and doodads though.
    So MOSTLY different vendors show at High Caliber vs Premier or am I off base?

Generally speaking, which of the two is better?

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    So MOSTLY different vendors show at High Caliber vs Premier or am I off base?

Generally speaking, which of the two is better?

There's some vendors that go to both, like Texas Tactical Gear and the Clips R Us guy but I've noticed AJC only goes to High Caliber, and Schramm's only goes to Premier. I haven't seen Bachmann at any Houston show for a while. There's a couple other vendors I don't remember which show they like: The Gun Zone and K.K. Sales and the AK47/Saiga guy.

U just gotta go to both to make sure u don't miss any real bargains.

The HGCA show is where everyone shows up, but the last one was during SHOT show so it kind of suxed.

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The last couple at TW didn't seem to be the same group as in Pasa-get-down-dena. I overheard 2 vendors talking at the last Woodlands show and they were saying that the big difference between this location and Houston was that they didn't see as many "thugs".

Prices at all the gun shows have declined quite a bit in the last 6 months or so, but it's still pretty rare to find real bargains.

My neighbor and I are going Saturday morning. A day hanging around guns and gun-related toys is always fun, even if I can't afford to bring anything home.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Ammo prices were high, is that correct?

Did you happen to notice AR handguard selection and pricing?

Thanks for the update.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    just got back
    saw a benelli m4 for $1500!
    a colt m4 flat top (carry handle incl) h-bar leo marked not cut for m203 for $900
    called it texas edition???

Last edited:

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    In going just to kill time. I always just assume if I see something it'll be high. So I go to gander or academy and buy it after.

sent from the bathroom

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    No powder or bullets;
    Did you see any primers?

I need large rifle magnum primers and the usual sources are mostly out. Of course, I may have just overlooked some place, in which case I'd appreciate a pointer from anyone.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OK, I live 10 minutes from this show so I went. Obviously, the attitude documented in this post would not have been the same if I had come from an hour away; please keep that in mind.

Parking is usually bad at this venue so I planned on waiting until after lunch when people were leaving. It turns out that, apparently, I wasn't the only one with that idea.

I didn't even bother to go inside. The parking lot was full. The overflow lot was full. The field across the street was full; I think it's a powerline right-of-way, but not sure. The ditches on Pruitt were all full, despite the fact that the promoter explicitly tells people not to park there. It took me over 20 minutes to pull into the main lot, figure out that there were no spaces (or that any spaces that opened up were instantly filled by other bozos like me), and get back out.

Call me a wuss, but I have no desire to park a mile away and get charged money to struggle through dense crowds. When I finally got free of the traffic, I headed home.

If Texasjack tells me he saw large rifle magnum primers, I'll go back tomorrow and arrive a long time before opening.

Does anybody know how long before opening the main lot filled up today?

PS - The promoter is missing a major revenue stream. They could charge $20 per car to park in the main lot. People would be pissed, sure, but with this many people trying to get in there would be enough takers to fill that lot and seriously add to the bottom line.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    OK, I live 10 minutes from this show so I went. Obviously, the attitude documented in this post would not have been the same if I had come from an hour away; please keep that in mind.
    Thanks for the report Ben. I'm not driving nearly 200mi for THAT.

Top Bottom