• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Ran across one of these today at the gun show. It was a Colt lightweight commander with a 4 1/4" barrel. I've been wanting a 1911 with a 4" barrel, but put it back down and walked away since it was a 38 super.

Now I'm wondering how it would shoot and if I should have grabbed it? I've never shot a 38 super, but am comfortable with the 1911 frame. Some of you might consider it sacrilegious, but has anyone shot one of these? How do you like it? How does it stack up? Fun to shoot? Accurate? Should I just stick with the 45?
    Gun Zone Deals

bvillars

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    38 super

own a 38 super in three different models. It took a mexican friend to show me this fine caliber. Colt even made a special series for the 38 super based on mexican army ranks. El Presidente, El Tiante, and about three more. I kept an el presidente and also a 1911 commander. also thompson arms also made a 1911 38 super. Steel plate shooters also use this caliber. i am sure you will get a lot more posts on this subject. good luck oh by the way what was the asking price?

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I had been saving up for one of these for some time, and finally bought a Colt Commander XSE, SS in Janurary. I really like shooting it. Ammo gets kind of hard to find, but I do manage to find it. For me, shooting it was somewhere between my 9MM(STAR 30MI) & .40cal(Ruger 94). IMHO you really have to want a 38 Super. I had a hard time picking between the 38 Super & a Colt 45ACP. I already had a nice 45ACP, so I went with the 38 Super.Just my $.02

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    oh by the way what was the asking price?
    It was around $900.

I had been saving up for one of these for some time, and finally bought a Colt Commander XSE, SS in Janurary. I really like shooting it. Ammo gets kind of hard to find, but I do manage to find it. For me, shooting it was somewhere between my 9MM(STAR 30MI) & .40cal(Ruger 94). IMHO you really have to want a 38 Super. I had a hard time picking between the 38 Super & a Colt 45ACP. I already had a nice 45ACP, so I went with the 38 Super.Just my $.02

Thanks, this is the kind of info I was looking for. I understand your point about having to want a 38 super, but my tastes seem to have wandered into the unusual lately. Ran across a Snake Slayer IV a few months back, and it wasn't long until I decided I had to have one. Fun toy, kicks like a mule, glad I got one.

I'm trying to decide if the 38 super in the 1911 model will become another one of those can't live without items. Anniversary is 1 month away and counting and the wife's been asking what to get.

mmay1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I have a series 70 Colt Government model in 38 Super, dating back to the late 70s. I bought it nearly 30 years ago for $225, without knowning enough to recognize that it was a "odd" caliber. For years all of the ammo I could find was +1 and I thought it was loud and snappy. No one used hearing protection at the time. But I taught my sons to shoot it when they were quite young, so its become somewhat of a family heirloom. The boys all shoot well and don't flinch.

If the 38 Super appeals to you, get it. If I had a choice between it and a 45, I would get the 45, due to the greater availability of ammo.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Built one about 15 years ago. Comfortable to shoot, plenty of power, ammo is not that tough to find if you look. I handload anyway, so the only factory I buy for it is defense loads.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    With the internet now I haven't been too worried about finding ammo (unless the public goes into another buying frenzy). I'm still undecided, but I kind of like the idea of it being a little different. Maybe it's just the idea of the commander size pistol having a smaller caliber that makes it seem appropriate. I've never had a smaller frame 1911 or one that was not a 45.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    In a full size frame the .38 has a lil more snap than a .45. I've had better luck buying the odd ammo than the popular stuff.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I still can't decide. Anyone know of a range in the DFW area that has a 38 super you can rent?

It sounds like a fun toy, but I don't know if I can convince myself to get something other than a 45 in a 1911. I'm apparently very narrow minded when it comes to pistols. This all started with me going to buy one of those $300 pistols to have something inexpensive. For some reason I just cannot convince myself to lay down a few hundred on one of those pistols.

I made a compromise with myself and decided to get a commander size 1911, which for some reason I have no problem paying 3x as much for. Now I just have to decide which one.:eek: Is there a help group for folks like me?

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My friend has a Colt in .38 Super and I got to check it out a few weeks ago. First shot I took the leaf off a cactus at about 50 yards. It's a very flat shooting caliber with plenty of punch.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's a popular Mexican cartridge. I believe it's because the Mexican government doesn't allow military calibers? That's the rumor I heard at least.

As far as .38 Super goes, it's a very flat shooting caliber. It's basically elongated 9mm with a bit more powder behind it. Not all that different than a 9mm +P load. The ammo is easily twice the price, harder to find, and the brass isn't easy to find either.

If it weren't for the international market and the competition market (see flat shooting), this would be a wildcat.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I wish they would load it to the actuall +P status of the cartridge.If it was loaded to the case preasure of the +P 9mm loads it would show its real potential then.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    .38 Super is already a plus + version of the older .38 ACP. Pressure standard of the .38 Super is 2000 PSI less than 9x19 +P. Remember though, standard loading for the .38 Super for years was a 130 grain bullet, heavier than most 9x19 loadings. With identical bullet weights, the .38 Super will beat any 9x19 load, +P or otherwise.

And yeah, it was popular in Mexico for years because "military" calibers were forbidden to own by the peons.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Most of the IPSC shooters that shoot race guns use 38 super, and they load it hot so that the comp. works better, with the weight of the gun and optics they feel almost like you are shooting a .22. Brass and bullets are plentiful if you look in the right place.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Most of the IPSC shooters that shoot race guns use 38 super, and they load it hot so that the comp. works better, with the weight of the gun and optics they feel almost like you are shooting a .22. Brass and bullets are plentiful if you look in the right place.

But they are very very load with the comp. in .38 Super

Top Bottom