Hurley's Gold

Anyone have a CHL from more than one state?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I've heard of people taking courses to get a CHL from another state such as Utah.

Reason I've heard are Utah covers a few states TX does not and also would allow some overlap once the TX CHL needs to be renewed in case there is a lapse in "active status".

What are ya'lls thoughts on this, and does anyone here do this?
    Target Sports

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    No, because TX won't hurry up!

Yes, I do the overlap, but not with Utah. Mine's current with WA. I've heard Utah is the one to go for for you're other license. FL is a close second.

I have seen and used the value of the additional license. I think it's worth having when you don't have a TX CHL to use. Others who already have a CHL might not see it as valuable. Personally, overlap is great and I'll continue the practice. Seems smart to think about staggering them so they don't expire at the same time. Of course the downside is the additional cost. The 2A purist in me says this pay to play is such

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    If I remember the Utah license is only $65ish for the state fee, no clue on course costs but heard its shorter than the TX class

Rocket_Cowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Plano, TX
    I almost did the FL license at my last renewal, but then didn't because I mis-read and though I had to drive to Florida to visit a Florida Sherrif's office for computerized finger prints.

This time around I didn't act quickly enough, but am giving serious thought to the Utah license.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Utah considered legislation this last session that would restrict Utah CHL course to be taught only by Utah instructors. Essentially eliminating the ease to get a Utah CHL without actually going to Utah. The issue was that they could not control the content and delivery of the course by an out of state instructor. It made perfect sense for the State of Utah, but a lot of people out of state weren't too happy.

Not sure if that passed or not.

Squid13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    DFW/Norfolk
    I have a Virginia license because I'm currently stationed in Norfolk, but it's good for five years, and next year I come home to Texas. I'll be glad of the overlap while I wait for my Texas CHL.

cpf3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    My wife just took a Utah course (~3 months ago) and is still waiting on the license to arrive. They cashed the check, so we guess they're still letting out-of-state do the certifications.

Top Bottom