Military Camp

Anyone have a close run in with a coyote?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chili Palmer2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2017
    Austin
    I'm staying in So. Austin while working on a house purchased in Lockhart. I walk my dog in the A.M. hours (4:00-4:30) and now have spotted a coyote twice. First time it stayed about 75 yards away at the entrance of a greenbelt. Today it came out of the greenbelt stayed 50 yards away. It stayed it's distance but started up the street towards us. We made it home without incident. Would like to hear someone else's experience(s).
    Lynx Defense

Pops1955

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Been all around Texas all my life. Coyotes seem to be getting braver all the time. Had one run up to my dog on a trail once. My dog was a rot cross. Killed him. Rabies check was negative so what the heck. Always carry. Had Rugby not killed him I would have. Point is you never know so always be ready. Just ask Rick Perry.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Coyotes as a rule are not dangerous to people.

Unattended pets on the other hand are pretty much just food to them.

I have a coyote rule on my property. As long as I can not see them they get an unequivocal pass.

If they come into the fenced part of my yard, they get dead.

If they come up to the fenced part of my yard and look through the fence and are still there when I return with a rifle, they get dead.

I absolutely love listening to them at night.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Coyotes as a rule are not dangerous to people.

Unattended pets on the other hand are pretty much just food to them.

I have a coyote rule on my property. As long as I can not see them they get an unequivocal pass.

If they come into the fenced part of my yard, they get dead.

If they come up to the fenced part of my yard and look through the fence and are still there when I return with a rifle, they get dead.

I absolutely love listening to them at night.
    That's pretty much my rule. I don't go hunting for them, but I will shoot them on sight without hesitation.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Urban transplants around here really get their panties in a twist with critters who roam this urban hood, almost downtown and surrounded by 25 miles of heavily populated Harris county.

This week it's the hawks, who are starting to nest, and thriving on the squirrels folks think are sooooo cute to feed. The one below filled the Nextdoor clickbait trap with consternation for a couple of days earlier this week ... about a block from here.

In the next month few months it will be coyotes feeding on the cottontail bunnies who nest along the RR tracks, and hawks and birds, protecting their territory, swooping down at their snowflakes in the pool.

Newbies have to be reminded that's one of the reason country kids wore straw hats outside around this time of year.

Then it will be the annual asp scare ... tough life, here in Texas.

Hawk.jpg

Attachments

• Hawk.jpg
      Hawk.jpg
      127.9 KB · Views: 487

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Urban transplants around here really get their panties in a twist with critters who roam this urban hood, almost downtown and surrounded by 25 miles of heavily populated Harris county.

This week it's the hawks, who are starting to nest, and thriving on the squirrels folks think are sooooo cute to feed. The one below filled the Nextdoor clickbait trap with consternation for a couple of days earlier this week ... about a block from here.

In the next month few months it will be coyotes feeding on the cottontail bunnies who nest along the RR tracks, and hawks and birds, protecting their territory, swooping down at their snowflakes in the pool.

Newbies have to be reminded that's one of the reason country kids wore straw hats outside around this time of year.

Then it will be the annual asp scare ... tough life, here in Texas.

View attachment 162949
    I have been lit up by asps twice. First time I felt it crawling on the back of my neck and swatted it like any other bug. Dropped me face first in the ground and was the worst pain I have ever experienced for about 2 hours.

Second time one was on my arm and I did the “arm shake” and only got lit up a little.

Screw those nasty caterpillars

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I live inside the 610 loop & see all kinds wildlife that most people would assume would be long gone. More then once I have gone out to my truck in the early morning to go to work to find it blow splatter from an owl in the tree above. My all time favorite was the turkey buzzard that was clean up the crat taking a nap roadside@ the end of th street!

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I have been lit up by asps twice. First time I felt it crawling on the back of my neck and swatted it like any other bug. Dropped me face first in the ground and was the worst pain I have ever experienced for about 2 hours.

Second time one was on my arm and I did the “arm shake” and only got lit up a little.

Screw those nasty caterpillars

Learned as a kid not to scratch your back, bear style, on a tree in Texas with, or without a shirt on.

You're right, I'd almost rather be shot than suffer an asp sting. West Texas scorpion a close second.

mdf9183

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2018
    Bastrop
    I see them and hear them all the time in my neck of the woods. I don't bother them if they don't bother me. My son raises chickens and has lost several of them to bobcats but the coyotes pretty much don't come that close to the houses. They were here long before me.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I live inside the 610 loop & see all kinds wildlife that most people would assume would be long gone. More then once I have gone out to my truck in the early morning to go to work to find it blow splatter from an owl in the tree above. My all time favorite was the turkey buzzard that was clean up the crat taking a nap roadside@ the end of th street!

Yep, lots of owls here in West U, just inside the West Loop.
    Partly my fault.

15 years back I built a few Screech Owl boxes for a neighbor, next thing I know I had built a couple of dozen for folks wanting them. There are four of them just on my block and there's a owlet in each one every year.

Worse than the urban chicken coop I made the mistake of letting someone see me build in the driveway. I've done about 20 so far in ten years ...
    owl.JPG

Attachments

• owl.JPG
      owl.JPG
      210.1 KB · Views: 297

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Yep, lots of owls here in West U, just inside the West Loop.
    Partly my fault.

15 years back I built a few Screech Owl boxes for a neighbor, next thing I know I had built a couple of dozen for folks wanting them. There are four of them just on my block and there's a owlet in each one every year.

Worse than the urban chicken coop I made the mistake of letting someone see me build in the driveway. I've done about 20 so far in ten years ...
    View attachment 162955
    Are you not worried that the hawks will cause the squirrel to become endangered?:banana:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Are you not worried that the hawks will cause the squirrel to become endangered?:banana:
    If that is all it took to put the little bastards on the ESL I would take up falconry.

Funny story( to my sick and twisted sense of humor anyway)

I used to have a 6.5 foot Malaysian water monitor. He weighed about 60 pounds. I had converted an outside dog kennel on a slab to a spring/summer enclosure for him.

He would spend his days just under the surface of the water and lunge out and eat squirrels as they came in for a drink. Reminded me of the bear scene in Lake Placid.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    No close encounters. Yotes stay very far away from humans in my territory.

I respect them. Love hearing their song. Enjoy hunting them.
    As everyone who has spent any time around me has heard me say;

I don’t hunt predators, professional courtesy.

I will kill them if they present a threat to me or mine though.

For the most part they seem to get it and respect the truce in my AOs.

;)

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Since we're on 20 acres in Van Zandt County, we hear them every night...

One of our dogs got a wound on her back end from a run-in with one, she won't go after them anymore without backup (we have a Neo Mastiff and 2 Daniffs (3/4 English Mastiff, 1/4 Great Dane)... the coyotes want nothing to do with dogs over 135 Lbs.

What I found funny is they will come in by our pond frequently during certain times of the year- eating persimmons that have dropped from the tree there. Not far from the chicken coop, but only once have I had to discourage one from eyeing the chickens- I think they realize they're in a big predator's territory from the mastiff scat they leave.

We've now been told to be cautious when shooting them- as the Red Wolf, once thought extinct in the wild, has now been spotted in East Texas. They're not large, and have a lot of similarities to coyotes.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Asps are nasty, first encounter was on a mulberry tree, went to knock off the caterpillar and got knocked on my rear.

Top Bottom