Anyone have any lathe/crowning skills and not a long backlog?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Travis County
    I'm in the Austin area first off.

I want to get the crown on my Ruger 22/45 redone. Long story short, the pistol shot crappy groups then I discovered this horrendous tool chatter (which you can still see) on the crown and sent it in to Ruger. Ruger worked on it, maybe briefly touched a lap to the crown and sent it back, saying it shot "within spec." I think it's a half-assed job, and I want it fixed.

Does anyone have a lathe that can touch this up, maybe even a brass screw with some lapping compound? I don't trust myself to do this sort of thing, which is why I sent it to Ruger, and it appears I can't trust them to make it right either.

I don't want to send it to Hank Fleming, because I don't want it back months from now, and those guys at McBride's rubbed me the wrong way with their "rack the shotgun to scare bad guys" talk.

So can anyone get this done for me in a timely manner?

IMG_0874.jpg
    Target Sports

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    I really would like to stay local, because then I'm paying overnight shipping on the serialized receiver.

Surely someone should be able to do this type of work quickly?

What for? Take the barrel off and pop it in a small flat rate box from USPS for $5. I got a barrel threaded and crowned from ADCO in about a week. I am sure there are plenty of folks local that can do it too.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    I should be able to pick it up at the monthly BOTW 3-gun match and bring it back to the next month's match. Easy stuff. If it was a 11 degree crown instead of that 45 degree cut I could do it with a hand crowning tool in the parking lot; as it is, time for a lathe ;)

Alex

Top Bottom