Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...I thought Greenwood was hide bound! at least we have action pistol matches and rules allowing for reasonable practice for them.

Two things -

I never thought Greenwood was hidebound. Back when I actively shot pistol silhouette, they had 500 meter pistol matches at least once a year. I get the feeling that the folks at Bayou Rifles would size you up for a straight jacket if you said you wanted to shoot pistols at 1000.

As for the action pistol stuff, the Addicks range is the obvious location for that and it's limited by the terms of the lease with the Corps of Engineers. For example, not a single piece of brass is allowed to remain on the ground. Everybody must pick up everything they fire; it's part of the lease. There are lots of shooting matches that would make it impossible to comply with the lease; anything that throws brass everywhere would be included. The Conventional Pistol shooters, for example, when they finish their first 900 stage with their .22s, stop and everyone spends several minutes bent over, examining the ground, finding every last bit of brass. I kinda doubt that any action pistol group would be willing to put up with that.
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

Detritus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Yeah sounds like bayou kind of has it's hands tied in that respect.

I guess my feelings on Greenwood are that they're better than many, but less permissive than many others out there. At least in regard to some of the disciplines etc. that interest me personally.

The current Rifle director is a die-hard Service Rifle shooter, who seems to view promotion of F-class as a waste of an opportunity to hold a Garand match.

the Only Steel allowed on the range is the pistol/birdshot rated types Owned by the USPSA or SASS clubs, only to be shot at matches or pre-arranged/approved practice days, and the rifle-rated gong between the Pig Rails of the silhouette setup.
    I understand that they neither want pistol steel ruined by guys shooting it with rifles/other inappropriate ammo, nor some bozo grievously injuring himself with improperly setup targets. But there HAS to be a method (similar to Bayou's system for those shooting at 1K?) for allowing those who buy their own steel, to shoot it appropriately be it for pistol or longer range rifle use.

Ok, sorry, I'm just a little twitchy about those two things.
    And some of it is coming out of the past two and a half years and all the turmoil and BS that's been going on out there.

the place is great, and even with the recent Dues hike (to a whole $100 :rolleyes: and yes that will lose them some members ) it's the best deal I've ever come across as far as fees-to-facilities ratio goes. But like anybody I see ways in which it could be better at least from my point of view. :)

Last edited:

Wyo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2015
    Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I figured there was no reason to start a new one that just added to this one.

Question about Bayou. Have they changed there feelings toward NFA? I'd like to have a place close to home that allows me to shoot long range (I'm from Wyoming so we spend a lot of time >400yards) and use my canned AR10 and/or AR15 (in 243WSSM). But I don't enjoy being hassled

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I figured there was no reason to start a new one that just added to this one.

Question about Bayou. Have they changed there feelings toward NFA? I'd like to have a place close to home that allows me to shoot long range (I'm from Wyoming so we spend a lot of time >400yards) and use my canned AR10 and/or AR15 (in 243WSSM). But I don't enjoy being hassled

From the 2015 rules...

"The usage of legally owned sound suppressors or short barrel rifles is allowed. Appropriate federal paperwork must be available for inspection by
    any club member upon request. The device must be in compliance with all local, state, and federal rules and laws related to the possession and use
    of such a device. Any other firearm or device that requires a tax stamp from the BATFE to own or use is prohibited."

I have never seen anyone ask another member for their paperwork but I've only been a member since March.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    I take my cans whenever I go to either range, never had a problem

RSO have come over and watched w the cans as well

sent from the batcloset in the batcave on the batphone

OldGringo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    S.W. Houston Area
    In lieu of starting a new thread, note that Bayou Rigles will be admitting new members April 3 @ 18:00 hrs. Full info on the Bayou Rifles Gun Club Facebook page.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    In lieu of starting a new thread, note that Bayou Rigles will be admitting new members April 3 @ 18:00 hrs. Full info on the Bayou Rifles Gun Club Facebook page.
    Well, if you're going to pass the word, it's only fair to also note that the last time the list opened it took about 30 minutes to fill up and be closed again. The takeaway is that if anyone wants to get on the list, they had better be sitting at their computer at 17:59, obsessively hitting F5... :)

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Well, if you're going to pass the word, it's only fair to also note that the last time the list opened it took about 30 minutes to fill up and be closed again. The takeaway is that if anyone wants to get on the list, they had better be sitting at their computer at 17:59, obsessively hitting F5... :)

F5?!? You mean the keyboard backlight dim button?

:p

Last year when I was trying to get in to BRI I was on my computer 15 minutes early and refreshing the page every few seconds in the few minutes leading up to the official opening time.

Yes, if you want to get it you better be ready to pounce (digitally) on it quick.

But you better be cool... I don't want any wankers, tactidorks, or ammo-sexuals in my club.

:laughing:
    (Totally joking guys.)

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    F5?!? You mean the keyboard backlight dim button?

Last year when I was trying to get in to BRI I was on my computer 15 minutes early and refreshing the page every few seconds in the few minutes leading up to the official opening time.

Yes, if you want to get it you better be ready to pounce (digitally) on it quick.

But you better be cool... I don't want any wankers, tactidorks, or ammo-sexuals in my club.

:laughing:
    (Totally joking guys.)
    No!! You right. I don't want them either. I like our laid back atmosphere

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Torch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008

Not sure how you are under the impression that cans are not allowed. I see them all the time at the ranges and have never seen anybody ask to see any paperwork.

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    Not sure how you are under the impression that cans are not allowed. I see them all the time at the ranges and have never seen anybody ask to see any paperwork.

The use of NFA items at BRI ranges was previously prohibited unless you had a letter from the board exempting you from that rule. Those regulations were lifted a couple years ago.

WincoJP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2014
    I've been wanted to become a member for some time now and was fortunate enough to be able to setup an account during this last opening. The Addicks range is just down the street from my house.

Unfortunately, though, I cannot make the April orientations that was listed as I've been working overseas.

Does anyone know if other orientation sessions will be offered beyond these? Otherwise, I suppose it's just wait and see what happens...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Unfortunately, though, I cannot make the April orientations that was listed as I've been working overseas.
    You can't make any of the April orientations? From the emails I've gotten from the club, there will only be orientations in April, specifically:

April 9th (2 on this date), April 16th and April 17th.

It's my impression that you're SOL. While it couldn't hurt to try what Domineaux has suggested, I'm under the impression that you need to keep an eye open for when membership applications open again next year (that news always seems to be posted here several weeks in advance, as soon as current members like me find out about it), get in on it, and be in town for the next orientations.

Sorry to be such a buzzkill. I wish you luck.

Ryououki

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Katy, TX
    I was supposed to go for orientation tomorrow (April 16th), but I didn't know they didn't allow 50 BMG until after I registered for the membership and class and got the email with the link to the rules. Sure enough, rule J8 states no 50 BMG, so I won't be joining. I guess I still only have ASC as an available range for the shooting I want to do. It's just too bad ASC only goes out to 600 yards. I would have really liked to try my hand at 1K at the Juliff range.

WincoJP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2014
    Thanks, everyone for the feedback. Probably out of luck for this time around...but emailed the membership desk to see if anything can be done. Ah well, next time!

mace

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Houson
    I was a member up until 2016, let it lapse due to moving. I shot suppressors there plenty of times. They did want a approval letter from the management then, but it was pretty much a rubber stamp - just send the manager a copy of your stamped Form 4, and you get the letter, no questions asked or special connections needed. Nobody ever asked to see any of my paperwork either, though I tended to go at times when there was nobody there, since I don't see much point in shooting suppressed on a firing line full of loud. Personally, I think it's kinda dumb to not carry a copy of your Form 4 anytime your items leave the house anyways. Wouldn't want any suspicious LEOs to get the wrong idea if you get pulled over or something on the way to the range.

I'm not sure how tight the membership list is now, but they were always pretty long-range focused. They have short-range rifle and pistol ranges, but they almost seem like an afterthought, and I don't recall there ever being any action shooting events. Anything other than punching paper from the firing line is not generally approved.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    They have short-range rifle and pistol ranges, but they almost seem like an afterthought, and I don't recall there ever being any action shooting events. Anything other than punching paper from the firing line is not generally approved.
    We regularly have "fun shoots" at the Juliff range, shooting pistols at steel targets. There are both rimfire and centerfire events shooting 5 large steel targets approximately 12 yards away, a format similar to the steel challenge shoots. The club changes slowly but it changes.

Simons44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2016
    We regularly have "fun shoots" at the Juliff range, shooting pistols at steel targets. There are both rimfire and centerfire events shooting 5 large steel targets approximately 12 yards away, a format similar to the steel challenge shoots. The club changes slowly but it changes.

The next steel shoot is on 5/28 at Juliff. Sign up is at 8:30am at the 25/50 range. The June steel shoot is on 6/25.

Free for members, $5 for non-members.

Jeremy

Top Bottom