anyone here an audiophile?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Video Games' started by micah7488, Jun 22, 2009.

1. micah7488

micah7488 Member

i recently went to clean my parentals ranch house and came across 2 amplifiers. 1 is a national that i havent really looked at and the 2nd is a Sherwood S 9500 solid state amplifier. im trying to figure out what the going rate is for selling an item like this. ive have been searching quite a bit but to no avail.

any and all help is appreciated.

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Probably not much being an old solid state. Most audiophiles I know are bigger into the vacuum tube amplifiers, and if they go solid state, it's with a modern 5.x - 7.x channel amplifier.

I'd just hook it up, and see if it sounds good to you, whichcase ... keep it.

3. micah7488

micah7488 Member

yeah i hooked it up, i have myself a 7 channel home theater system already. its nothing astonishing but its better than the 2 channel amp. I was curious cause I am looking for different avenues to save up for a possible .308 bolt gun and a tokarev.

4. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've got a semi-decent 2-channel setup in my room:

ADCOM Pre-amp
    AudioSource 80RMS a channel power amplifier
    Kenwood tuner
    Denon CD player
    Old Technics turntable
    Paradigm Titan bookshelf speakers on stands

The turntable I got from my parents and the speakers I bought new. The rest was purchased second-hand on eBay. Sounds pretty good to me. I too have a surround system in my living room and wanted something cleaner for music listening, even though the front speakers I have in my home theater are towers and reproduce 2 channel stuff quite well. The amp in my Pioneer is nowhere near the quality of the AudioSource though, it effortlessly pushes my speakers and I cannot listen to it turned up a whole lot because of the amplification.

5. zembonez

zembonez TGT Addict

Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I've tried to set up the best of both worlds. (audio and home theater)

I'm running a Denon AVR-3806 powering the surrounds and center channel, and two Adcom GFA-555II amps powering my mains and subs. Throw in an Adcom line conditioner, a Denon DVD / SACD / CD player, and a vintage Sony cast base turntable and you get the idea.

6. Major Woody

Major Woody Active Member

Sep 12, 2008
    Total Yamaha system.