• ...and so much more!
  • Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    So, for the past year and a half I've been wanting a Tavor and have been saving.
    I've been side-tracked along the way and ended up spending on other firearms. Decided to get rid of my 5.45x39 rifles and I now have the cash and I'm going for it (or so I thought).

As I've been looking the Steyr Aug has really gotten my attention and im think im going this route. One of the reasons is my brother has a Tavor and I get to shoot his all the time. I plan to buy one at a later time, but for right now It'll fun to have something else to play with.

Looking for personal experience with one from those of you have owned or shot one (I've never shot one). Also not sure if i should go with the NATO version or use the proprietary mags. I know the obvious benefit of using Ar mag, but Aug mags are only about $20 a pop.

Not wanting to start an Aug -vs - Tavor thread, I know the Tavor is a great rifle and will own one soon.
    Just wanting you all's experience with the Aug good or bad.

Thanks guys.
    I've owned both the Steyr AUG and the Microtech MSAR (clone) both shot well and when tricked outwith Ratworx goodies were very cool. I am primarily a target shooter and was never able to achieve the accuracy of either of my AR-15 or the SIG 556. The bullpup design is also incredibly LOUD without a suppressor . Both were faster on target than an AR15 and walking the funhouse at Frontsight with the laser equipped AUG was a true Hoot and a Half!

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    Have an a3 aug. I like the bullpup designs, very compact. The triggers on them are not great out of the box. There are some upgrades out there to replace some of the plastic parts of the trigger pack that make it better.

The only real downside for me is the safety button is rather square, rough and undefined. Can be a bit uncomfortable

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I used to Rep both Steyr and MSAR at different times. I have not read the whole thread, but what did you want to know? Sorry I didn't read it all first.

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    I used to Rep both Steyr and MSAR at different times. I have not read the whole thread, but what did you want to know? Sorry I didn't read it all first.
    Not much anymore.

Started the thread 8 years ago and bought the Aug shortly after starting it.

Still have it.

Zero issues as far as reliability.

Trigger sucks but for what it is doesn't bother me. Not a target shooter.

Spare parts are hard to find and expensive (not that I needed any).

Aug mags are of good quality no issues with any in all this time.

It's a keeper.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I've been loving mine. Maybe 2-3k on it now. The suppressor gas plug and the red trigger springs are must haves.

I see berelli has 20" barrels...

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    I've been loving mine. Maybe 2-3k on it now. The suppressor gas plug and the red trigger springs are must haves.

I see berelli has 20" barrels...
    Do you run it suppressed?

Figured it would be pointless. May have to try.

Have a 20" barrel but haven't put any rounds through it yet. Had the Aug out this Friday and completely forgot about it.

Any more info on the springs?

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Do you run it suppressed?

Figured it would be pointless. May have to try.

Have a 20" barrel but haven't put any rounds through it yet. Had the Aug out this Friday and completely forgot about it.

Any more info on the springs?
    Yes, the AUG is very over gassed, even on suppresed, it works fine without a suppressor, but might not in say, extreme cold, or if the gun is super dirty. You do still get a normal and adverse setting though

It's these springs https://www.steyr-arms.com/us/aug-trigger-pack-spring-upgrade-kit

They aren't cheap, but they drop the pull weight by about 2lbs. I am eying the 20/20 sear, but I don't like the idea of just having the sear be made of metal

Spence1875

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2020
    Houston
    You can see the Australians testing of all the rifles in the link below. The Aug crushed the competition. I like ergos on it but it is definitely an acquired taste. They are super reliable and accurate in my experience. Not a fan or the ergos on the Tavor or SA Hellion.

Kbone70

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2022
    Prosper
    I am on the lookout for an Aug, my son and I recently shot one and love it. Just waiting on the right deal to grab one.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I shot an AUG many times when I worked for U.S. Customs. I also had collateral duties as a firearms instructor during that same time frame, so I saw a lot of other agents shooting them as well. I do not recall any major flaws with them; as I recall they functioned fine and were accurate. I did not like the 1X scope on them, it was kind of ridiculous and open sight would have suited me much better. Personally I preferred the AR-15 we had previously and much preferred the Ruger Mini-14s we had before that but plenty of the agents liked the AUG. One other thing: I never much liked the idea of an overcharged round possibly blowing off the blocked left side ejection port's cover that would have been up against my cheek.

Top Bottom