• ...and so much more!
  • rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    20150227_175145.jpg

Picked up today from ffl and can't wait to get it out. Overall impression is good, heavier than I thought and a nice little package.

I also ordered the Aug case in the pic with 3 green mags to go with the smoked ones I ordered from CDNN.

It is the Aug A3/M1 Green with a 1.5x factory scope, we'll see once I take it out if I keep it or not (scope).

Thanks for looking !

Last edited:

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    It's all there just snapped a quick pic and as far as the trigger, I'll worry about that later once I recover. I've heard they're are a couple of options feels kinda heavy, but I knew that going in.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Didn't they declare bankruptcy and stop making them?

I have an MSAR and it's one of my favorite guns. I wish I had bought an extra one before they quit making them.
    do you have this thing for sale on gunbroker? i hadnt heard of it, as i am considering an AUG i looked it up, and found one for sale in austin... came back and checked your location, and here i am necroing a thread. (better than a new one with the same title and theme)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    do you have this thing for sale on gunbroker? i hadnt heard of it, as i am considering an AUG i looked it up, and found one for sale in austin... came back and checked your location, and here i am necroing a thread. (better than a new one with the same title and theme)
    No, I have no plans to sell mine. It's in my top 5 favorites.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    thanks, just thought i'd ask.

it seems you havent changed your tune on this topic in 7 years. if noone else has something to volunteer i may have to adjust my plans.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I own a made in Alabama AUG and although I wish I had an Austrian original, I love it. A friend has a tavor that I've had trigger time with but I personally prefer the AUG. I went with the original waffle mags which are extremely reliable. Mine wears an aimpoint pro and its' bulky but rock solid.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i never did care for the Tavor, just didnt feel right to me, the aug felt good, but i want to try on that keltec RDB, not sure about the weird mag release, but the size and weight look good. all things being equal i'll probably go aug as it seems more refined somehow.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    I own AUGs in A1, A2 (sorta) and A3 configurations. I also have a Tavor SAR and Bushmaster M17.

If I had to pick just one… it’d be my A1 AUG.

Last edited:

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    So, for the past year and a half I've been wanting a Tavor and have been saving.
    I've been side-tracked along the way and ended up spending on other firearms. Decided to get rid of my 5.45x39 rifles and I now have the cash and I'm going for it (or so I thought).

As I've been looking the Steyr Aug has really gotten my attention and im think im going this route. One of the reasons is my brother has a Tavor and I get to shoot his all the time. I plan to buy one at a later time, but for right now It'll fun to have something else to play with.

Looking for personal experience with one from those of you have owned or shot one (I've never shot one). Also not sure if i should go with the NATO version or use the proprietary mags. I know the obvious benefit of using Ar mag, but Aug mags are only about $20 a pop.

Not wanting to start an Aug -vs - Tavor thread, I know the Tavor is a great rifle and will own one soon.
    Just wanting you all's experience with the Aug good or bad.

Thanks guys.
    Had an AUG and loved it. AJAX makes a lot of aftermarket stuff! I may even have a couple of mags laying about...the ONLY downside is the muzzle blast and noise...if you don't buy a suppressor it actually hurts to shoot it often -ear plugs under sonic cups a must! Love bullpups and rec the Kriss and the FN PS90 .both way more friendly on the ears -although if I had to fight with one ..hands down on the Steyr AUG

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    Boy time flies.

Didn't even realize I had owned it this long and forgot about this thread.

Still have it, along with the Tavor.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    I believe I was still working in CA when this thread was first started.

Field stripping any of these bullpups is a great way to learn which has the most engineering involved in it's design.

I converted my Tavor to 9mm (way easier to get magazines for than my 9mm AUG).

Last edited:

Tonyt915

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2020
    Houston
    Guess I’m odd man out. I have the Tavor X95, FN PS90 and the AUG A3. because of the trigger, the Aug is my least favorite of the bull pups. I probably favor the Tavor between the 3 of them. All are running stock triggers.

Attachments

• 0A367424-F68A-490F-9F5A-5FF400331B97.jpeg
      0A367424-F68A-490F-9F5A-5FF400331B97.jpeg
      551.7 KB · Views: 69

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Old thread revitalized.

Shot them frequently years ago when working for the U.S. Customs Service, Office of Investigations and they were the standard rifle. Had collateral range officer duties at the time so also got to observe lots of others shooting them. Personally, to me, they seemed cumbersome, unnatural and almost awkward to shoot; yet, I must admit they were good shooters nonetheless. They were easy to disassemble, clean and assemble. If there is an option of getting one configured to utilize AR-15 mags versus proprietary mags, I'd definitely opt for the one that takes AR-15 mags. Price is not the issue for me, the availabilty of the magazines would be the important thing and there very probably are many more AR-15 mags to be had than Steyr Aug magazines, at least here in the USA (and now in Afghanistan as well).

Last edited:

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    those US Customs variants were what inspired me to get a shorter bbl for mine.

i even have a 14.5” and it is louder than a 20” but not a bother for me at all

kmcn762

That guy with the milsurps
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2021
    Pflugerville
    You can get the version with the NATO stock that uses AR mags. I prefer the original since AUG mags are excellent quality and look great. With the NATO stock you also lose the bolt release above the mag well and are not able to convert to a left-side ejecting bolt.

My AUG is one of my favorite rifles. I got mine with a Neu-trigger in it (costs like $30) and it makes a world of difference. Feels like a nice mil-spec AR trigger now. Very smooth, probably 5lbs.

Top Bottom