• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I'm helping out a guy and will be loading rounds with CFE223 & Hornady 55fmjbts.

I have three 8#s of this stuff and this guy is having issues shooting more than three rounds w/o double feeds. All mags, settings fail. The good news is it works great in an AR.

Another guy posts that he has 0 issues with that powder so it looks like I'm the tie-breaker.

Thanks TGT
    Guns International

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've been using it a while - on the suggestion from Vaquero. I have loaded hundreds of rounds with that same bullet and have had zero issues with it. Meters great. The only knock I've heard on it is that it is somewhat temperature sensitive.

What powder load is he using in that?

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    In the AUG a3m1, 18” barrel. Issues are with 28grs(max is 27.6 and I’m not going past that, possibly not even TO that!).

I figure I’ll load some rounds and watch for signs, first being double feeds!

Is this a ball powder?

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Would powder really cause a double feed? Has he tried any other loads or factory ammo?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Would powder really cause a double feed? Has he tried any other loads or factory ammo?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Ppl

A guy just reported the issue. Another poster suggested it’s the bizmuth(cleaning agent).
    AUG has and adjustable, to a point, gas block.

I’ll try an experiment for the AUGers!

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    In the AUG a3m1, 18” barrel. Issues are with 28grs(max is 27.6 and I’m not going past that, possibly not even TO that!).

I figure I’ll load some rounds and watch for signs, first being double feeds!

Is this a ball powder?
    I ran a bunch of ladder tests with it out of 26" barrel Savage bolt action. It was ~3000 FPS with 26.5g. That load has worked fantastically out of every rifle I've used - including several AR's. I got the same results as some other people on here got, passed on the load, and haven't heard any complaints. It is according to Hodgdon it is a "Spherical Powder" which is probably why it meters so well. If you decide to get rid of some of your 8#'s, just PM me.

I'm sort of into making tiny holes, and with Berger 55g flat based bullets, I got about the same results with it as Varget at 100 yards.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I tried all sorts of powders in 223/556 and the very best powders - in terms of accuracy and consistency - are CFE-223 and Varget.

CFE-223 removes copper fouling, but it seems to heat up the barrel quickly and it leaves behind more soot than Varget.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Like Robert, I use CFE223 in all 4 of my ARs with 55gr Dogtowns. Works great. Depending on bullet weight, 25.6gr to 26.2gr seem to be about a sweet spot for 55grn bullets. For 72gr and 65gr I use H335.
    I would take a 8lb if you decide to sell too.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm helping out a guy and will be loading rounds with CFE223 & Hornady 55fmjbts.

I have three 8#s of this stuff and this guy is having issues shooting more than three rounds w/o double feeds. All mags, settings fail. The good news is it works great in an AR.

Another guy posts that he has 0 issues with that powder so it looks like I'm the tie-breaker.

Thanks TGT

CFE223 has always worked great for me. No reliability issues and the accuracy has always been good. It's one of my favorite powders for 223.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom