• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I have a very large collection and after recent events have decided that it would be a good idea to get all of them appraised. I have called collectors firearms and they want $50/gun which is a little much IMO, and with the size of my collection its a lot. So does anyone know of a good/reputable appraiser that wont charge me an arm and a leg.
    ARJ Defense ad

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I'm wondering if you can talk to their bosses and get some sort of volume discount?

Other than that, my best guess is internet research on your own, with screenshots of similar weapons and their worth, for reference.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I have a personal valuable property policy as well as my renters policy. I do appraisals but I doubt that my insurance company would accept my own appraisals for insurance purposes.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    You could probably do a real good job yourself. Get a copy of the latest edition of the Blue Book of Gun Values. Take detailed pictures of each firearm, and use the reference guide to determine a value. There is a grading guideline in the front of the book that should help. A solid record with serial numbers, pictures, and a dollar amount for each from a respected reference guide should be enough to satisfy your insurance company. However if might be a good idea to check with them about this procedure and see if they would approve.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I think I'm going to let my insurance company do my appraisals, the two guns that got stolen I figured to be about $2500-$3000 total. They researched the guns and told me $6000. Too bad my current policy only covered $2000 but I just changed that.

ETA: joking about not getting appraisals so dont flog me

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I think I'm going to let my insurance company do my appraisals, the two guns that got stolen I figured to be about $2500-$3000 total. They researched the guns and told me $6000. Too bad my current policy only covered $2000 but I just changed that.

While that is a good thing if they have to pay out, it means your premiums will be higher as well......

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    While that is a good thing if they have to pay out, it means your premiums will be higher as well......

They paid out after talking to me on the phone for an hour getting a report of what happened and what was taken. Premiums will go up $45 a year due to losing the no claim discount, but the alarm system being put in is going to drop them by 20% (per the insurance company).

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    So, your "personal valuable property" policy will onlly go up $45.00...the premiums are not related to the value of what they might have to pay out?

Who insures you?

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I have to get another Personal Valuable Property policy, turns out when i set it up that it was just the wifes jewlery, i had thought it was jewlery and guns but was mistaken. They filed it under my standard renters insurance which is where the $2000 limit came from. The new policy will be more but if they do it at the same rate as my others it will be $1/month/$1000

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have to get another Personal Valuable Property policy, turns out when i set it up that it was just the wifes jewlery, i had thought it was jewlery and guns but was mistaken. They filed it under my standard renters insurance which is where the $2000 limit came from. The new policy will be more but if they do it at the same rate as my others it will be $1/month/$1000

$25.00/month for $25,000.00 coverage....That is awesome....who insures you?

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Yeah USAA is the best out there. As far as appraising, do it yourself. Find auctions on places like gunbroker of your weapons and get the average price of the listings. Save screen shots of the listings to prove value. You can show those to USAA if you ever need to show retail replacement value. I have mine listed with USAA and they told me just list each item under the Personal Valuable property policy I have. Just follow the how-to and you will be set.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yeah USAA is the best out there. As far as appraising, do it yourself. Find auctions on places like gunbroker of your weapons and get the average price of the listings. Save screen shots of the listings to prove value. You can show those to USAA if you ever need to show retail replacement value. I have mine listed with USAA and they told me just list each item under the Personal Valuable property policy I have. Just follow the how-to and you will be set.

Do your premiums match what he thinks his will be?

Top Bottom