• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I used to love watching the Olympics, but then I used to love watching football and baseball. I'm sure there are plenty of athletes that aren't woke or political, but the Olympics as a whole has. So like what has infested the pro sports, now infests the Olympics. No, I won't be watching it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I watch. I like it.

But I tend not to watch the stuff that attracts the public attention whores.

I watch the under-appreciated stuff. Watch some (team) Handball and tell me that's not a great sport. Watch the shooting; we have a whole thread on that.

As for the protesters and weirdos, I have a different take than most. I've spent a lot of time with Olympians. They are, for the most part, nuts. They've spent their young lives pursuing essentially arbitrary goals and missed out on a great deal of life experience. They tend to be remarkably immature, emotionally.

When I see the ones who go off the rails like that video, I just think "Well, once she's no longer competitive, she'll be introduced to the real world and she'll change." Most of them do.

I have literally lost sleep because I had to listen to a competitive shooter screaming and running up and down the athlete's dorm because someone moved the fruit juice inside her fridge. Not "stole her fruit juice". Just moved it to a different spot in her personal fridge, just to set her off.

If you make allowances for the fact that those folks are really, really a different breed of human and if you avoid the stuff that you know is going to be hyped just because it's irritating, then watching the Olympics can be a lot of fun.

Antares

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2015
    Seabrook, TX
    I used to love USA women's soccer but refused to watch it this time. I did watch Women's Softball because it was Cat Osterman pitching for the Longhorn's got me loving softball. Used to go see Mizzou softball when I lived on MO. I refused to watch basketball, and a lot of track and field. Not every one was FUed and woke. The Pole vault was making his approach to jump and he heard th National Anthem and he dropped his pole and stood at attention. My favorite one was this one. The woman wrestler who won the gold medal.

https://www.facebook.com/watch?ref=...4ae6-aef1-8813c1ded8a4&q=golde medal wrestler

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Ironically, the whole concept for the modern Olympics was to have athletic competition without politics. The "woke" crap is really, really irritating, and I've avoided most of the Olympics because of it. But it's not new. The 1936 Munich Olympics stand out, of course, and we had the Black Power hand signs in the 1960's or 1970's. Then there was the pair of Olympics where the USA (well, Jimmy Carter) stayed home and then the USSR (Russia) stayed home and they both played that "you wouldn't have won so many medals if we were there" game. As was pointed out, Olympic athletes lead a very narrowly focused life and they are VERY young. It's pretty easy for them to get off-track.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    I have never cared to watch and with everything I’m hearing sounds like I’m not missing much. I don’t care how fast you swim or how high you jump. Or if some random person in another country can do it better because a panel of “judges” says so. It’s pissing away time and money.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Lost interest in the Olympics when I became too old to participate in the Olympics. Not that I ever did...or could.
    The oldest Olympic medal winner was 72 at the time. It was a rifle event. You sure you're too old? :)

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    I used to love to watch the Olympics....until these, and I use this description with a large amount of anger, American Athlete's, started kneeling and looking away when the flags were raised and the National Anthem is played. I will not participate in anything that allows such behavior, especially on a worldwide platform.
    I used to love professional sports in general, but when they started taking knees or staying in the locker rooms when our National Anthem was played, I now watch nothing. I read yesterday that now the NFL will be playing the "Black National Anthem" before the games.....That was the straw that broke this camels back. There is only ONE NATIONAL ANTHEM PERIOD!!! Sorry for the rant!!!

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I used to watch. I won't watch the live coverage because I don't need woke commentary / commercials. I'll get the clips I'm interested in on YouTube.

There are a handful of events I enjoy watching - taekwondo, judo, wrestling, shooting - the rest is meh.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Been watching it a lot. There's so much good stuff away from the glamor events. The things that really interest me are sports/hobbies I've done (or at least similar.) Watching the C1 & K1 paddlers is mind-blowing vs. what I used to be able to do. Last night I watched some keirin racing.

Top Bottom