• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blacksunshine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    anyone local modify mosin-nagant bolts?

I know, there are peeps on ebay and whatnot that sell the conversion service for $50 or so, but no one I have found actually has the bolt for sale, modified, in stock....

I have found several places that sell the original bolts to swap outs are not a problem....

I am looking firstly for someone local that either has a sniper style bolt or can make/modify one or, if I make it to this weekend with none of the above alternatives, I will just modify mine myself....just need to go get some stainless rods for my welder and a new wire bush and maybe a wheel or two for my rotary tool...

I have never welded stainless so I am not sure what to expect.......
    ARJ Defense ad

blacksunshine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Did you see this?

yeah....looks like poop....plus it's way too short...looking for a typical 'nowadays' bolt configuration....

going to practice on a couple pieces of stainless rod or maybe just some stainless bolts, see how that comes out first and then start the butchering...

I have found several pictorals on this exact scenario and they all seem pretty straightforward....nothing odd...it is what it is...

gunbubba

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    I'm not sure what "local" means to you, but if you're in Austin I'm sure Hank Fleming could handle it.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    yeah....looks like poop....plus it's way too short...looking for a typical 'nowadays' bolt configuration....
    In defense, I believe is the angle the picture was taken that makes it look "short".

I don't believe they'd make sniper bolts with handles that were only an inch long (or however long you think it is).

blacksunshine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    In defense, I believe is the angle the picture was taken that makes it look "short".

I don't believe they'd make sniper bolts with handles that were only an inch long (or however long you think it is).

description info taken directly from the page you posted:

MOSIN NAGANT 1891 Item No. 291700 Bolt Body w/ Military Bent Handle (Not Original Sniper Bolt), NI

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    description info taken directly from the page you posted:

MOSIN NAGANT 1891 Item No. 291700 Bolt Body w/ Military Bent Handle (Not Original Sniper Bolt), NI

That can mean it wasn't ever used on an original Mosin-Nagant sniper rifle.

However, do as you wish. The fact that dozens of countries made the Mosin-Nagant brings us many wonderful things that folks don't recognize for what they are.

blacksunshine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    That can mean it wasn't ever used on an original Mosin-Nagant sniper rifle.

However, do as you wish. The fact that dozens of countries made the Mosin-Nagant brings us many wonderful things that folks don't recognize for what they are.

damn, yes I found that before I ever posted, no I don't want it as stated earlier because it looks like poop, it does not look stainless, it's too expensive for what it is considering a stainless setup, when available is $50-60 which I would wait for over this seeing as how I have one in my gun already and lastly, the stainless originals with normal bolt can be found cheaply on gunbroker and flebay...sorry, again, it doesn't look stainless and it looks like poop...

question is, do you, you recognize what that is or whence/where it came?

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    You don't need to use stainless to weld it! One reason is because they are not stainless. I have done two for myself and used a MIG welder with regular mild steel wire.

DRJ

blacksunshine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    You don't need to use stainless to weld it! One reason is because they are not stainless. I have done two for myself and used a MIG welder with regular mild steel wire.

DRJ

are you sure?...mine sure looks like stainless and for the age and judging by the other metal makeup of the gun, it definitely is not the same composition as the rest of the gun....

maybe we have different bolts?

here's a pic of mine...

bolt.jpg

bolt2.jpg

bolt3.jpg

blacksunshine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    hard to tell exactly by the pics, but if that is not stainless, it would have to be some type of chrome-moly or vanadium....something that looks stainless

blacksunshine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I don't really care what it is actually comprised of really, just want to make a nice clean weld and not have COMPLETELY noticeable that I has been welded....so just don't want to mix and match metals...so, if it's not stainless, any idea what it really is?

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    No, Mosin bolts are DEFINATELY not stainless. As mentioned above, probably some chrome/moly alloy. I made a sniper bolt several years back when Century was selling sniper scopes and mounts for $25. Wish I had bought 20 of them!
    I made my bolt handle from some cold rolled stoll rod I had, drilled and pinned it to the bolt body, then welded it with a mapgas/oxygen torch. Atteched the ball the same way. Doesn't look bad, I'll try to get some pictures up.

If you don't mind sending the bolt out, a gentleman who DBA as "Jim R the Bolt Man" modifies both Mosin Nagant and Mauser bolts, with Mosins you just send him the bolt body. He gets very good feedback from the Mosin Fanatics on Tuco's Gunboards. His prices are not bad, either.
    Bent bolts for the Mosin Nagant and Mauser rifles

blacksunshine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    No, Mosin bolts are DEFINATELY not stainless. As mentioned above, probably some chrome/moly alloy. I made a sniper bolt several years back when Century was selling sniper scopes and mounts for $25. Wish I had bought 20 of them!
    I made my bolt handle from some cold rolled stoll rod I had, drilled and pinned it to the bolt body, then welded it with a mapgas/oxygen torch. Atteched the ball the same way. Doesn't look bad, I'll try to get some pictures up.

If you don't mind sending the bolt out, a gentleman who DBA as "Jim R the Bolt Man" modifies both Mosin Nagant and Mauser bolts, with Mosins you just send him the bolt body. He gets very good feedback from the Mosin Fanatics on Tuco's Gunboards. His prices are not bad, either.
    Bent bolts for the Mosin Nagant and Mauser rifles

I found the boltman but for that price, I was willing to take a chance at screwing mine up first....that being said there is a company named rock solid industries that has the bolts for sale complete and just the handles to weld to your bolt body along with the wrap around hex and round receiver scope mounts..they have it all...their bolts-to-go are I think 69.99 and the boltman I think is 59.99 and then the shipping...for the ten I would keep my untouched bolt and have the modified also......if I have time this weekend I might attempt butchering mine and then order one... :D

blacksunshine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008

found that one first...it is the most prevalent and in my eyes the most worthless of the bunch...that scope mount is junk, complete and total junk and if you are wanting to invest the time into the scopeand mount and the ammo and time getting it sighted in and wanting to keep it sighted in, this is NOT the setup you want....

the bolt is just not exactly what I am looking for...if it were a bit longer then I could make it work....

I would like to get one of the original or knockoff of the original scope mounts if I can find one reasonably priced....

blacksunshine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I'm glad you said that, I was minutes away from ordering that ATI setup for mine.

not sure exactly what you are after or what you are wanting to spend, but, this is the top of my list as of right now...the only thing that is holding me back from purchasing from these guys right now is the price....I want to spend a bit more time researching and seeing if I can find something better/cheaper...timeframe for me is probably two weeks....I have been researching this for about a week so far....

Mosin Nagant

now their page is not exactly correct in pricing from the example listing to the price chart at the bottom, ie, the complete bolt up top shows $59.99 and down below it shows $69.99....I will say that when I found them several days ago it was $59.99 in both places then when I tried to order I could not, sent along an email and two days later I received a reply with the above link and a totally new page....same basic layout but revamped and the price difference...

if that complete bolt was $49.99, I would just buy it and be done...now I might by the $29.99 bolt handle and just weld that on my bolt body but I think I am going to attempt butchering mine first....

the scope mount is in my eyes, the next best thing to an original design...I just don't want to have to do that drilling to my receiver if I don't have to...

really, with the iron sights they are good enough for me for the 100 yards that I will normally be using the rifle in so all this is just extra so that is why I am not just jumping on this stuff and buying it...I can live without it but if a cheap deal comes along, I will snag it...the rifle as received from j&g is perfectly fine the way it is...just wanted to dress it up.....maybe I will leave this one alone and find a complete minus stock and go from there....

glockrocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You keeping the wood furniture or going with a monte stock?

btw: I gotta tell you, thats the sexiest mosin I have ever seen on that page you linked. drooled a bit.

Top Bottom