Anyone own a storm shelter?

Discussion in 'Home Preparedness and Shelters' started by texcross, Oct 22, 2013.

1. texcross

texcross Active Member Admin

Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    Anyone own a storm shelter? Signed up for the rebate deal here in our county and waiting, want an above ground on, disabled wife, no way I can get her below ground!

This home has a ton of closet, would be nice to just build one in a closet. Doubt the rebate deal would cover it...

2. breakingcontact

breakingcontact TGT Addict

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    Not I, although I have considered digging basically a large spider hole in the back yard.

3. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict

May 25, 2009
    I got an in ground one around 15 or so years ago after a tornado heading straight for us jumped back in the clouds around 3 miles away.

Not completely underground. The top half sticks up close to 3' and is buried with dirt. The door sits at around a 30 deg angle. We've used it a few times over the years. The most recent being this year when an F2 got within 2 miles.

4. robertc1024

robertc1024 Not That Guy TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I live on top of a hill in a split-level. Bottom story is 4' underground. Storage place is completely underground. In-Laws live three houses down. If tornado's come, party at my house.

5. just jk

just jk TGT Addict

Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    there is a company - probably in Oklahoma - that makes safe room type shelters - i think thats what you're looking for - 4 HARD walls, and anchored to the ground

and apparently - the report from Moore is that the above ground shelters are now considered the preferred kind

6. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    When I remodeled our last house I built a storm shelter in our closet.

I built a few engineered tornado shelters with a friend so I had a good idea what is involved. The ones we built were in garages.

They make perfect gun rooms BTW.

7. just jk

just jk TGT Addict

Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    the ones they put in the floor of your garage - i like that idea - but the only thing i wouldnt like is the potential for having your door covered by debris and being stuck till they come dig you out

8. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The door should open inwards just for that reason. I have seen what you are talking about though.

9. just jk

just jk TGT Addict

Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    yeah - that makes sense - i guess i'm thinking about a situation where you're at home- the car is in the garage - you have to back it out enough to gain access to the shelter - if the garage implodes on top of your shelter....

i guess the PD where you live would have a record of your shelter - and that would be used to aid in a search????

10. breakingcontact

breakingcontact TGT Addict

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    Axe? Chainsaw?