• ...and so much more!
  • texcross

Well-Known
    Admin
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    Anyone own a storm shelter? Signed up for the rebate deal here in our county and waiting, want an above ground on, disabled wife, no way I can get her below ground!

This home has a ton of closet, would be nice to just build one in a closet. Doubt the rebate deal would cover it...

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I got an in ground one around 15 or so years ago after a tornado heading straight for us jumped back in the clouds around 3 miles away.

Not completely underground. The top half sticks up close to 3' and is buried with dirt. The door sits at around a 30 deg angle. We've used it a few times over the years. The most recent being this year when an F2 got within 2 miles.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I live on top of a hill in a split-level. Bottom story is 4' underground. Storage place is completely underground. In-Laws live three houses down. If tornado's come, party at my house.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    there is a company - probably in Oklahoma - that makes safe room type shelters - i think thats what you're looking for - 4 HARD walls, and anchored to the ground

and apparently - the report from Moore is that the above ground shelters are now considered the preferred kind

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    When I remodeled our last house I built a storm shelter in our closet.

I built a few engineered tornado shelters with a friend so I had a good idea what is involved. The ones we built were in garages.

They make perfect gun rooms BTW.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    the ones they put in the floor of your garage - i like that idea - but the only thing i wouldnt like is the potential for having your door covered by debris and being stuck till they come dig you out

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    the ones they put in the floor of your garage - i like that idea - but the only thing i wouldnt like is the potential for having your door covered by debris and being stuck till they come dig you out

The door should open inwards just for that reason. I have seen what you are talking about though.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    The door should open inwards just for that reason. I have seen what you are talking about though.

yeah - that makes sense - i guess i'm thinking about a situation where you're at home- the car is in the garage - you have to back it out enough to gain access to the shelter - if the garage implodes on top of your shelter....

i guess the PD where you live would have a record of your shelter - and that would be used to aid in a search????

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
    silencers
    DK Firearms
    Tyrant Designs
    Every Day Man
    Shroud
    Weapon displays
    Ammo
    Defender Tactical
    Ammo
    Orion Cooker
    Firearms Legal
    Target Sports USA

Latest posts

Staff online

• Vaquero
      Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joeg
    Top Bottom