• ...and so much more!
  • texcross

Well-Known
    Admin
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    Anyone own a storm shelter? Signed up for the rebate deal here in our county and waiting, want an above ground on, disabled wife, no way I can get her below ground!

This home has a ton of closet, would be nice to just build one in a closet. Doubt the rebate deal would cover it...
    Venture Surplus ad

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I got an in ground one around 15 or so years ago after a tornado heading straight for us jumped back in the clouds around 3 miles away.

Not completely underground. The top half sticks up close to 3' and is buried with dirt. The door sits at around a 30 deg angle. We've used it a few times over the years. The most recent being this year when an F2 got within 2 miles.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I live on top of a hill in a split-level. Bottom story is 4' underground. Storage place is completely underground. In-Laws live three houses down. If tornado's come, party at my house.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    there is a company - probably in Oklahoma - that makes safe room type shelters - i think thats what you're looking for - 4 HARD walls, and anchored to the ground

and apparently - the report from Moore is that the above ground shelters are now considered the preferred kind

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    When I remodeled our last house I built a storm shelter in our closet.

I built a few engineered tornado shelters with a friend so I had a good idea what is involved. The ones we built were in garages.

They make perfect gun rooms BTW.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    the ones they put in the floor of your garage - i like that idea - but the only thing i wouldnt like is the potential for having your door covered by debris and being stuck till they come dig you out

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    the ones they put in the floor of your garage - i like that idea - but the only thing i wouldnt like is the potential for having your door covered by debris and being stuck till they come dig you out

The door should open inwards just for that reason. I have seen what you are talking about though.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    The door should open inwards just for that reason. I have seen what you are talking about though.

yeah - that makes sense - i guess i'm thinking about a situation where you're at home- the car is in the garage - you have to back it out enough to gain access to the shelter - if the garage implodes on top of your shelter....

i guess the PD where you live would have a record of your shelter - and that would be used to aid in a search????

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    i doubt you'd have room to operate that - those shelters are pretty small - like a tiny jail cell - you wouldnt have the space to swing anything, and a chain saw would just bring debris down on top of you

I don't know then. I guess you're stuck. Let us know when you get out.

I suppose you could have some sort of external indicator like a strobe or something to show your shelter is occupied.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    I don't know then. I guess you're stuck. Let us know when you get out.

I suppose you could have some sort of external indicator like a strobe or something to show your shelter is occupied.

the occupied thing is a good point - because there were several homes in Moore last May - that had shelters - but nobody was home

you gotta figure that during that time - your electricity and phone are likely out......cell towers may or may not be reliable

interesting

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    If you want a do it yourself project, something like this might be able to be built on the cheap.

af7f52d0a79622797d6664a6e62f796bd897c563

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i'm curious what those things weigh? i've seen tornadic weather lift 18 wheelers off the ground....if its bolted or secured to the ground - then fine - otherwise -that thing may become a rolly polly ride

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    i'm curious what those things weigh? i've seen tornadic weather lift 18 wheelers off the ground....if its bolted or secured to the ground - then fine - otherwise -that thing may become a rolly polly ride

It would definitely need to be secured, lol....

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas

First I think the shape would have a lot to do with not giving the wind any thing to lift on and packing/mounding dirt around the sides would help with that and it's stability.

Second, if you get an inside diameter of 7 foot or so you are going to be at 2,600+ pounds per foot, so a decent sized shelter for a moderately sized family would have some heft. ( I get that info from this pdf http://www.shermandixie.com/products/pipe/42_84_pipe.pdf )

(as a bonus, reinforced concrete is strong and fairly well protected from EMP)

Obamascared

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2013
    a FRIEND got a state voucher for like 3800 dollars from the state I can dig into what he actually did to get it . I cared a couple of years ago and then lost interest so I didnt follow up. But will if needed.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    If you have a shelter, tell several different friends who live several miles away to come dig you out if a big one hits. Above or below ground won't matter much if a Buick or 18 wheeler end up blocking your door. Or large trees, neighbors houses, etc.

Top Bottom