• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I just started back up after over half a year of not playing, mostly due to bugs. Seems like they've got it REALLY stable and I'm playing again. Specifically I'm playing the Epoch mod. Anybody else play and by chance want to come to the Epoch whitelist server I play on?
    DK Firearms

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Same here. I love the concept but seems like a game where griefing is the primary pasttime. No thanks.

Depends on the server honestly. The whitelisted server I play on is COMPLETELY devoid of hackers (and in the rare case one does come the admins are quick about rolling back and restoring). There's also general rules against outright griefing, you can still be a bandit but you can't go rubbing it in peoples faces or anything and if one starts hunting newbie spawns then usually a clan or hero will mop him up pretty quick.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Ohhh really, whats the server? Hopefully once I get rid of this BE Client not responding crap I can jump on (currently reinstalling OA since I already tried every other fix in the book).

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Depends on the server honestly. The whitelisted server I play on is COMPLETELY devoid of hackers (and in the rare case one does come the admins are quick about rolling back and restoring). There's also general rules against outright griefing, you can still be a bandit but you can't go rubbing it in peoples faces or anything and if one starts hunting newbie spawns then usually a clan or hero will mop him up pretty quick.

Which server? I just installed Day Z and have heard the horror stories, and I'd like to avoid them.

dsukid

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Amarillo
    The best way to fix that is to run dayz commander. I'll get you the IP but it is going to change in a couple of weeks.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I've been running through Dayz Commander, turns out it was just the one server I had been playing on recently that was doing it. Actually it was probably Time Warner being an ass with that one server because I was able to connect to it fine with my wifi hotspot (and the lag wasn't too bad either).

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Arma II is on sale right now for $12.50.

I went ahead and picked it up if someone wants to walk me through what I need to do to play with yall.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Arma II is on sale right now for $12.50.

I went ahead and picked it up if someone wants to walk me through what I need to do to play with yall.

Did you get the Operation Arrowhead expansion with it? I think you'll need that for Day Z. Download the Day Z mod from Steam for free...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Alright, I've had some horrible advice given to me, and I followed it.

Under no circumstances should you install Day Z Commander. You'll get funky adware shit if you do. It also likes to install (very) outdated versions of stuff if you try using it for that.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ok, never mind Day Z. I've been trying to get this to connect to a server for the last 5 hours, tweaking this, changing that searching for information that doesn't exist...

Day Z will not, cannot connect to any servers online. It always shows a message that the server rejected connection, wrong version. So, yeah. Day Z can die in a fire. I'll let you know if I can figure out how to get it working and post a fix.

dsukid

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Amarillo
    Before attempting to run Dayz you must first have and run both Arma II and Arma II OA separately at least once.

Your Arma version should be 103718 and if you are playing Epoch that version should be 1.0.2.5.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've played the crap out of Arma II and OA.

OK, I got it running. Turns out uninstalling the adware didn't uninstall Day Z Commander, but for some reason when I did that all my desktop icons got rearranged, so I didn't see it. Whee. But I'm ahead of the story...

First issue was that the add-ons menu in Arma kept telling me that I had 1.0.2.4 of Epoch installed, so I looked into manually installing it. FML. Whoever is in charge of Epoch mod should be beat with a baseball bat. Only download available is a torrent, so I had to reinstall a torrent app. I don't like having those on my computer... Then I downloaded the torrent. "Now what?"

Search like mad for instructions on how to manually install Epoch, find... not a lot. And most of what I found was really out of date. Finally figure out that to install Epoch manually, you have to extract it from the torrent download and just drop that into your Arma II folder. Alright, I can do that...

...but why won't this file extract? Search around for the file type. There is exactly one file compress/extract utility that handles this bullshit file type. And getting THAT to run was fun, because the executable to make it run was buried in with three other possibilities, so guesswork was heavily involved.

After deleting the first install of Epoch and putting the new one in the Arma II folder, Arma II still says I'm running 2.0.1.4. At this point I'm realizing that the creators of Epoch are complete fucking retards incapable of doing the smallest things correctly and that I've had the right version of the mod installed this whole time.

Frustration level: Ready to feed my computer some buckshot. But wait, there's more!

The game still won't connect after all of that. What now...? It's still giving me a "bad version" failure, and it won't connect to any Day Z server, Epoch or not. More searching... After about an hour of trying different roll-backs of the Day Z mod and failing to connect every time, I find the answer.

Finally I came across the suggestion to run through Day Z Commander (which I happily hadn't accidentally uninstalled) and in the options section check the box to replace OA's files with beta versions. Holy crap, it works! It takes forever to load into a server, and the game itself is laggy as hell, but it connects!

Note that none of this info came from the people who made any of this stuff. "We made it, **** you if you want us to make it so it actually works or to tell you how to do that." They'd make great management at EA Games.

The end of my five hour(!!!!) ordeal trying to get this crappy mod to work:

I finally, finally get into a server! Yes! This is going to be awesome! Sure, it's laggy and jerky as hell despite my 15ms ping, but whatever. I can work around that. I spawn, I deploy the packable bike this server spawns you with and ride around. Find a town full of zombies, unarmed me rides away. Riding down the road, accidentally center-click and "eject" from the bicycle... and break bones... and bleed to death... from falling off a bicycle.

Second try, I actually managed to find some cool stuff, including a Jackal. It had a Lee-Enfield in it, I was going "score!" Then the server restart hit. No biggy... I stuck around, loaded back in, spawned and heard, "*crunch!* 'Argh!'" and now I'm dead again, the second I spawned.

Day Z: not even once. I'm pretty sure this mod exists for electronic hipsters to prove how cool they are by playing a game you need doctorate-level knowledge in computer programming to get running and is so terrible and not at all fun to play that nobody wants to play it anyway.

Again, it took me five fucking hours to make this POS even connect to a server.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    No offense M.Sage but thats really not that bizarre of an install process for mods. Typically adding any modded content means extracting to the game folder and torrents are the most effective way to share content these days. I torrent daily and would be willing to bet I've had fewer viruses/adware/malware in the past 10 years than the people that are afraid of torrents. Its all about having the proper things in place and taking the precautions necessary.

DayZ programmers really suck for providing everyone with a FREE mod and maintaining it as long as they did. I think they're a little preoccupied with programming the standalone.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Granted I've had my own share of frustrations with DayZ, but I never had problems like you have had just using DayZ Commander M Sage. As you said, you can easily remove any adware that comes with it without removing the program itself and it definitely streamlines the mod installation process a TON. My problems have been with bad connections to servers but I really think its more Time Warner's fault than anything.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    No offense M.Sage but thats really not that bizarre of an install process for mods. Typically adding any modded content means extracting to the game folder and torrents are the most effective way to share content these days. I torrent daily and would be willing to bet I've had fewer viruses/adware/malware in the past 10 years than the people that are afraid of torrents. Its all about having the proper things in place and taking the precautions necessary.

DayZ programmers really suck for providing everyone with a FREE mod and maintaining it as long as they did. I think they're a little preoccupied with programming the standalone.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

I've run mods on games for a long time now. I've never had one that was so hard to get running (or that ran as badly) as Day Z.

Right now - right this second - I'm getting popups. Day Z Commander sucks!

ETA: The popups are showing in my process list as "AdpeakProxy.exe". To be fair, I'm not 100% it was DayZCommander and not the bizarre archive tool that the Epoch crew decided they had to use, or the Epoch mod itself that's the cause. But given all the "extras" I found installed with DZC, that's where my bet goes.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom