Military Camp

Anyone remember the gun store that would tell you to take your hands out of your pockets?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexYid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2019
    Coastal Bend
    Forgive my lack of details. It has been about 25 years.

In the mid to late 90's, perhaps on 183, toward cedar park, in a stirp center, was a short lived gun store.

The owner (and employes) would dress you down for having your hands in your pockets. (I think they even had signs) And if you did anything other than comply, they would kick you out. That place didnt last long.

Does anyone remember where it was, what it was called, and perhaps have any insider info on the place? (what they hell was wrong with the owner that he thought that was a good business model) I assume he was a cop or former cop. (I have been a cop a long time and getting people to take their hands out of their pockets is a thing) but if I opened a burger joint, or a gun store, it just seems like a bad way to do business.

Thanks folks.
    Texas SOT

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Gun stores have enough trouble as a business (as does any new business) without the hassles of stupid rules that make customers uneasy.

We had a gun shop in Denton that didn't last lost. They were posted against concealed carry (open carry wasn't legal then). They wanted to sell to the CC crowd, as well as hunters and such, but they didn't want anybody carrying a gun but them. They would yell at you and kick you out if they thought you had a gun.

GONE

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    The Gun Store on Buttercup Creek in Cedar Park had that sign on a stand just inside the door and were also very vocal about hands in pockets. They closed up in 2019, I'm pretty sure.

379882_164977416939384_1411903728_n.jpg

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Oh, and there's one near me (it's in Mabank, TX) that has idiots behind the counter. I tried to buy a 7 round .45 ACP mag for my GI 1911A1. Dude behind the counter tried to tell me there was no such animal, and that 1911's never had 7 round mags. Then he tried to sell me a 7 round mag for a 9mm compact 1911 as if I wouldn't notice.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Hell, even Red's dropped the ball pretty hard for me a few years ago. If I still lived down there they'd have lost my business for good. I took my dad's Koon Snake Charmer to their Oak HIll location to see if their gunsmith could replace the trigger guard - like most Snake Charmers, the plastic trigger guard broke. They took it, told me it would be 'a couple of weeks' and gave me a claim ticket.

Then...silence.

Two weeks later I called to check on it. They said the gunsmith hadn't been in, and were very defensive about him being on his own schedule. OK, fine.

Two weeks later I called. He hadn't touched it.

Two weeks later, another call - and they said they had no such firearm. I read them the number on the claim ticket and after a few minutes they found it, and told me the gunsmith was too busy. "Fine," I said, "I'll be down this weekend to claim my property from you."

That weekend I went down to pick up the gun, and as the guy was handing it to me he said "Yeah, we thought it was abandoned and we were gonna put it up for sale this week..."

That level of incompetence is fucking amazing. This was a little more than 10 years ago and I'll still never darken the door of any Red's location because of it.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Owner and employees being female and I promise the business would do well.

In fact I would violate policy often.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    The Gun Store on Buttercup Creek in Cedar Park had that sign on a stand just inside the door and were also very vocal about hands in pockets. They closed up in 2019, I'm pretty sure.

379882_164977416939384_1411903728_n.jpg
    They had what I needed & most places didn't, so I kept my hands in sight & did bidness with 'em in July of '15, but I never went back for more.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Oh man some of these ranges sounds like Thunder Gun range in terms of stupid business decisions. The idea of business is to make the customer feel at home and win their trust and mind so that they can continue a lasting relationship. It sounds like these people want to have their own castle and make us feel we are beneath them. I would not offer a cent to them either.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    The first shop I mentioned on Anderson Mill seemed more like a hobby for the owner. The atmosphere was more like a clubhouse than a store. Old non-employees had comfortable chairs behind the counter. Clerks were seemingly reluctant to show the merchandise. Ridicule, not education, was the default.

The second shop was clearly a business, and the team knew their stuff. They were totally on-point with the latest technology, the practical applications, and the Class 3 rule book. If I had to guess, I'd say there was some PTSD at play. Keep your hands where I can see them is rational if you've been down range when shit got real.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Diablo4151
    Top Bottom