APOD Firearms

Anyone see the Message board warning of 9-11 style attacks near the refineries in Tx

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Re: Anyone see the Message board warning of 9-11 style attacks near the refineries in

Ummm No.

That article is totally wrong.
    1) MIT's first use is documented here: http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/internet-find/first-recorded-usage-of-hacker-from-mit-paper-in-1963/
    2) A "Hacker" is someone who "hacks" their way into a secure system. (phone, computer, etc.)
    3) A "Cracker" is someone who breaks the copy protection on a piece of software. (at least when not used as a racial slur lol)

Any attempt to pervert the term "hacker" into a non-pejorative context is done by someone who either has no clue or is too young to have been personally involved over three decades ago.

Edit: This is similar to the modern use of phrases like "an historic event". Just because modern culture has screwed it up due to ignorance, doesnt make it right.

Nope. Nice playing though.
    DK Firearms

propellerhead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Re: Anyone see the Message board warning of 9-11 style attacks near the refineries in

One of the guys in our IDPA club is a local PD/SWAT. He said they've been going through a lot of training on these Mumbai style attacks. He did add that their FBI consultants predict it would likely be a city like DC, Chicago, San Francisco, etc. where no one is carrying a gun. Texas cities have too many armed civilians.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land

One of the guys in our IDPA club is a local PD/SWAT. He said they've been going through a lot of training on these Mumbai style attacks. He did add that their FBI consultants predict it would likely be a city like DC, Chicago, San Francisco, etc. where no one is carrying a gun. Texas cities have too many armed civilians.

Not San Francisco! I love that place!

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas

If they are on a suicide mission, what does armed civilians really matter?

Not San Francisco! I love that place!

Isnt San Francisco known for Full House, Rice, and people who play for the "other team?"

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land

Isnt San Francisco known for Full House, Rice, and people who play for the "other team?"

I like the city in general, like the landscape. I dislike the laws or political ideology. Gays, homo's, and fudgepackers don't bother me however lol.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro

Because they don't want a Texan-assisted suicide.

They want to shuffle off in a big boom (or cloud of gas or whatever they've brought to the party).

txfireguy2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Temple

The reason it matters is because there is too much chance that they wouldn't have the opportunity to complete their mission. They start screaming and chanting and some crazy Texan might just shoot them before they get the chance to push the button.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409

And, we had another Flash Mob in Dallas today rushing to claim their Section Eight Housing vouchers.

We have more to worry about someone hacking our private accounts than the spill-over of the entitlement class rioting to claim their "benefits."

Be well.

TangoUniform

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2011
    Ellis County, TX

And, we had another Flash Mob in Dallas today rushing to claim their Section Eight Housing vouchers.

We have more to worry about someone hacking our private accounts than the spill-over of the entitlement class rioting to claim their "benefits."

Be well.

Worries me too!

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas

I was thinking a suicide bomber. Sorry.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication

The control systems are also separate from your typical corporate/organization network. Someone would have to gain physical access in most cases to mess with the turning anything off or on.

Sometimes that is true, but actually in most cases on-site, physical access is not necessary. If needed, though, at the highest levels of cyber attack one does not need a direct internet connection or phone connection to penetrate a site. This is why red power and black power systems were mandated as part of TEMPEST requirements.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

"Yesterday, I drove down to the city to get some chinese takeout and on SH-146 was a message board warning drivers of 9-11 style attacks.

I'll take "More BS Scare Tactics" for $100.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

I am all for reporting reasonably suspicious activity, but this 10 year barage of un-actionable BOLOs is completely meaningless.

And if you are really worried about another impending 9-11 style attack, I fail to see how a sign on SH-146 is the way to combat it. No signs up here in DFW, so I guess we are are safe.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

Color_Coded_Threats_Stai_s640x456.jpg

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

Sometimes that is true, but actually in most cases on-site, physical access is not necessary. If needed, though, at the highest levels of cyber attack one does not need a direct internet connection or phone connection to penetrate a site. This is why red power and black power systems were mandated as part of TEMPEST requirements.

Yeah you're right, completely depends on the level of sophistication of the attacker. Nothing is "impenetrable" the precautions just make it much, much harder.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom