Guns International

Anyone selling their reloading services?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I've loaded customer brass for as long as we've been in business and it was one of the most difficult programs to get right. Everyone has different expectations of what constitutes reloading thier brass means and making it work commercially means setting guidelines and expectations based on a lot of "learning" experiences.

If you don't go with a legitimate commercial loader, find a guy local to you with experience that will mentor and get them to help you with your first batch. Great chance to learn hands on, put what you read in the three reloading manuals you bought (you did that right?), and try out equipment before you buy it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    ARJ Defense ad

NavyVet1959

Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    They arrested him for selling AP rounds, not having a mfg license, and general stupidity.

I'm thinking that the feds know that they are unlikely to get a conviction on the charge and are just wanting to financially ruin him with the attorney costs. Or maybe they hope that he'll plead guilty (even though he didn't do anything wrong) so that they can *say* that they have done something. One of the problems with our legal system is the government flunkies are not being held *personally* accountable for their actions.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm thinking that the feds know that they are unlikely to get a conviction on the charge and are just wanting to financially ruin him with the attorney costs. Or maybe they hope that he'll plead guilty (even though he didn't do anything wrong) so that they can *say* that they have done something. One of the problems with our legal system is the government flunkies are not being held *personally* accountable for their actions.

Whether or not he did something "wrong" in your or my opinion is irrelevant at this point. Selling AP rounds (as classified by the ATF) is illegal.

If he sold any ammo without the proper licensing it will be easily proven.

The ATF has plenty of targets if they want to go after people selling tracers. They don't care about that.

So, what real evidence do you have to support what you've posted? Other than a negative opinion of the ATF which although shared, isn't going to have any effect on this case.

NavyVet1959

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    Whether or not he did something "wrong" in your or my opinion is irrelevant at this point. Selling AP rounds (as classified by the ATF) is illegal.

If he sold any ammo without the proper licensing it will be easily proven.

The ATF has plenty of targets if they want to go after people selling tracers. They don't care about that.

So, what real evidence do you have to support what you've posted? Other than a negative opinion of the ATF which although shared, isn't going to have any effect on this case.

What evidence do I need to prove a statement that is preceded with "I'm thinking ..."?

And, have you actually read the rules on AP rounds? From what I've gathered, it's not that AP rounds are prohibited, but AP *handgun* rounds are prohibited. So, if *someone*, at *some point* in history *ever* produced a "handgun" in that particular caliber, even if it was just a single sample and was never sold, then that particular round from then on becomes a potential "handgun" round as far as the AP rule is interpreted by the (unconstitutional) ATF. I seem to remember something about it not applying to .223, but I'm not sure on that point. So, if he had an old Russian SKS rifle that uses 7.62x39 and he bought AP rounds for it, the (unconstitutional) ATF would consider that a handgun round because someone at some point created an AK or whatever based "handgun". And the concern about AP rounds is not that they will be going through steel fuel tanks or whatever, but rather it will be going through the ballistic vests that LEOs are wearing. Which is total BS since even a non-AP rifle round is going to go through a ballistic vest even if fired in one of the "handgun" rifles.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I've thought about getting into reloading, but as of currently I only shoot 5.56 and 9mm... However, at the volumes I shoot at every year it actually would save me a fair amount of money. Why do you guys recommend a garage? My garage is full of cars... could I use a spare bedroom?

NavyVet1959

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    I've thought about getting into reloading, but as of currently I only shoot 5.56 and 9mm... However, at the volumes I shoot at every year it actually would save me a fair amount of money. Why do you guys recommend a garage? My garage is full of cars... could I use a spare bedroom?

For some people, the garage is the workshop area and a place where they don't have to be concerned about the wife nagging them about. For others, they cast their own bullets and would prefer not to do it inside, just in case anything else ends up in the casting pot (e.g. flux) that might not make the house smell the best. It's entirely possible to cast inside though if you are willing to put up an exhaust system (look up "fume hood").

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

I load inside with AC in the summer and heat in the winter. Highly recommend it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I seem to remember...
    I'd guess you're thinking of the Olympic Arms pistol fiasco.

From a little over a year ago:
    On January 25th, Olympic Arms announced it will officially close down completely at the end of February.

Later in that article:
    ...the company released many ... ARs. Among these was ... the first AR pistol. ... because of the chambering in 7.62mm, (it) ... triggered the ATF to reclassify the cheap steel core 7.62 ammunition as “armor piercing ammunition.” This ban on steel-core 7.62 infuriated many gun owners, who blamed Robert Schuetz and Olympic Arms for stopping the flow of cheap military-surplus ammo.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yep.

I don't believe a prototype will trigger a ban. There was a company that showcased a prototype .50 BMG pistol which seemed to actually be designed pretty well. The backlash from the .50 BMG shooting community put a stop to production before t even started.

If that gun had actually gone in to production it would have effectively triggered a ban on all surplus and most remanufactured .50 BMG ammunition as well as causing the disappearance of most affordable bullets.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I use one of these and reload on the couch in the living room...
    61AfTIBYSQL._SX355_.jpg

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    Hand held.

It’s a handy tool. I use one to adjust seating depth at the range when developing new loads.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio

Indoors, no question about it for me. I had a shotgun loading setup in my garage when i lived in PHX, only about 4 months out of the year I could tolerate being out there for any length of time. A comfortable sweat, grease and dirt free environment is preferable for me. A bonus is that I have to keep it cleaner than I would in the garage, which is something I view in a positive light.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Besides the consumables, what else is needed but not shown?
    Your preferred way to measure powder. The dies. A way to clean and lube cases. Guess that's about it... A shell tray makes keeping things neat a lot easier.

I don't really like using it to prime cases, and use the RCBS hand primer instead.

NavyVet1959

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    Besides the consumables, what else is needed but not shown?
    Depends upon how into it you want to go... The most money can be saved by casting your own bullets...

But, you basically need:
    • a reloading press
    • a set of dies for each caliber you wish to reload
    • a way to clean the brass
    • a powder measure (could be as simple as a set of dippers that you make yourself out of smaller cartridges)
    • a powder scale (so you can verify that the volume of powder you are dropping works out to be the weight of the powder you are needing)
    • bullet lube (if you are not using jacketed bullets) -- Lee Alox (tumble lube) is an easy solution to this

There are a couple of other tools that are nice to have in certain situations:
    • a primer pocket cleaner
    • a neck chamfering tool
    • reloading manuals
    • primer flip tray (if using a reloading press where you put your primers in a tube or container that expects them to be pointed all in the same direction)
    • digital caliper (for measuring OAL)

Things get a bit more critical if you are using loads that are right at the edge of the SAAMI specs. If you are loading .38 special and shooting it in .357 magnum, then you have a wide margin of error. When I'm loading my full power 216 gr 10mm load, I am more likely to weigh each charge since at 747 ft-lbs, it's probably right at the edge with respect to pressure.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yeah that's what it is; it's just a hand held single stage press instead of one mounted to a bench. Are you confusing it's functions with a progressive or automatic press?
    Not really, NV1969s reply to my question stated I would also need a reloading press in addition to what you had shown.

I was just verifying.

Top Bottom