• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Just a quick general question for those who shoot a 308cal to 1000 or greater yards. And please give me barrel length and bullet info. How many MOA does it take for you to be on target at 1000+? and what scope base moa are you using?
    Guns International

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    That's not how it works.

I don't give you my barrel length and bullet info.

You give me yours. First you have to pick a rifle and a ultra high quality scope. Then a cartridge. Then measure the speed of the bullet. Then you can zero the rifle. Say at 100 yards. Then you can calculate the number of MOA in elevation to theoretically get to 1000 yds. Then you have to shoot at that distance until you can reliably hit a certain size target at that distance. That's only a small part... you need to dope the wind which is harder than ranging.

Or just use a 168 Amax and come up 39MOA from a 300 yd zero. 24" barrel 20 MOA base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I am doing calculations to get ready for my first shoot to about 1000 yards and I have done math and ballistics calculations I was just trying to see if I am doing it right by what others have experienced. but way to go on being a real jerk for someone who is learning and studying to prep for their first long range shoot.

Edit: I have calculations but that is different from real world experience and thats all I was asking. It was a simple question and I am not being lazy by asking that.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    "Ultra high quality scope"....meh

I'm running and 18" barrel pushing 175gr SMKs at about 2,650fps. I believe I came up 42moa.

The rail won't really make a difference in your hold, it's only there to give you more elevation adjustment in your scope.

The calculators really are ball park numbers. The advertised BCs are usually best case (sierra gives variable BC which is closer), BC changes with velocity.

Wind can be tricky.

Take notes when you shoot. It's the only way to get solid info for your rifle and load, and you can use it to increase the accuracy of the calculator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    For 1000 I'd recommend something in the 175-178gr range. The higher BC really helps and it's still light enough that it doesn't hurt the MV or start to destabilize.

The 168 might be a hair flatter for the first 500 yards due to a higher MV, but it's gonna lose the speed faster and start dropping off quickly.

The 175/178 will cut the wind better too.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Cool. Glad you are doing your homework. It's just that when folks ask a questions such as these they often have little understanding on what it takes to get reliable hits at 1,000 yds and beyond. It helps to preface your statement. They think they can dial in say 30 MOA into a deer hunting quality scope and expect it to reliably track all the way across its range. Then they wonder why they can't get hits or they shoot something they don't intend. You need to work your way out in hundred yard increments and not just go for it at 1k. If you work your way out you realize wind, temp, barometric pressure and a host of other things all play a part. Sorry for riding you hard. But I have seen careless folks that were new to long rang shooting tear up some stuff trying to get on target by either shooting short and skipping rounds or flat out missing.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    if you zeroed your rifle on a 60 degree day, and shot 1000 yards on a 90 degree day, you are already a few MOA off, and that's not taking into consideration the temperature stability of the powder you are using, humidity etc. Rifle twist also plays a factor as well as barrel length and bullet you are using. No one can answer your question. Since it varies based on the time of day you are shooting.

I can also tell you that shooting 700 yards is 50 percent harder than shooting 600. Difficulty goes up about 50 percent for every 100 yards past 600. Your hit count will prove this statement

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Hence the reason it's so important to take a notebook.

Seriously, take notes. Eventually you will have enough info to know where the bullet will go in a variety of conditions.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I can not upload the tons of data I have gone over but for my setup my calculations with the round I have been and like using with a ballistic coefficient of .450 168 grain hornady match bthp, scope height being 2.25 inches with a 24 inch barrel zeroed at 100 yards my calculations are giving me about 38 moa in elevation and a velocity of about 1166. I know real world is going to be different and no I am not just going straight to 1000 yards I have a dope book where I plan on 100 yard incriments write down the actual moa elevation every 100 yards until I get to 1000. And most likely I will not get to build up to 1000 the first time out.

Edit: with my 20 moa rail I have 53 moa of elevation left not including the 30 moa of hold on the reticle.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The coefficient will fall off as the bullet slows down. That's what screws up the calculators.

The calculators are helpful for getting an idea of what will happen down range.

Barrel length really doesn't matter, it's all about muzzle velocity. That can vary in two different barrels of the same length with the same load and the same temps. A chronograph is a worthy investment if you don't have one.

Still gonna recommend moving to a 175gr~ bullet. The Hornady 178gr bthp match would put you at an (advertised) BC of .530. That's gonna make a big difference down range and help keep you out of the transonic range, and keep you a little bit flatter once you get in the tough region past 800 yards or so.

For all the work you put in getting good ballistic info, you really want to start with the best bullet for the job so you don't have to start over again later.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    The coefficient will fall off as the bullet slows down. That's what screws up the calculators.

The calculators are helpful for getting an idea of what will happen down range.

Barrel length really doesn't matter, it's all about muzzle velocity. That can vary in two different barrels of the same length with the same load and the same temps. A chronograph is a worthy investment if you don't have one.

Still gonna recommend moving to a 175gr~ bullet. The Hornady 178gr bthp match would put you at an (advertised) BC of .530. That's gonna make a big difference down range and help keep you out of the transonic range, and keep you a little bit flatter once you get in the tough region past 800 yards or so.

For all the work you put in getting good ballistic info, you really want to start with the best bullet for the job so you don't have to start over again later.

I will pick up some of those 178 grain hornady and re-zero at 100. If that extra weight at further distances helps the bullet from tumbling and going trans sonic then I will definitely take your advice. The heavier bullet will also help with wind not affecting as much too, right?

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Cool. Glad you are doing your homework. It's just that when folks ask a questions such as these they often have little understanding on what it takes to get reliable hits at 1,000 yds and beyond. It helps to preface your statement. They think they can dial in say 30 MOA into a deer hunting quality scope and expect it to reliably track all the way across its range. Then they wonder why they can't get hits or they shoot something they don't intend. You need to work your way out in hundred yard increments and not just go for it at 1k. If you work your way out you realize wind, temp, barometric pressure and a host of other things all play a part. Sorry for riding you hard. But I have seen careless folks that were new to long rang shooting tear up some stuff trying to get on target by either shooting short and skipping rounds or flat out missing.

Dang dawg us beginners don't know or understand what it took you years to learn... he was just asking for a little help.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I will pick up some of those 178 grain hornady and re-zero at 100. If that extra weight at further distances helps the bullet from tumbling and going trans sonic then I will definitely take your advice. The heavier bullet will also help with wind not affecting as much too, right?
    Get 175/ 178gr bullets and don't look back.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Just a quick general question for those who shoot a 308cal to 1000 or greater yards. And please give me barrel length and bullet info. How many MOA does it take for you to be on target at 1000+? and what scope base moa are you using?
    Get a ballistic app (my free Strelok works well) and play with the numbers.

Once dialed in it is very accurate.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    The Hornady 178gr bthp match would put you at an (advertised) BC of .530. That's gonna make a big difference down range and help keep you out of the transonic range, and keep you a little bit flatter once you get in the tough region past 800 yards or so.

This. It's an awesome bullet for long range.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    This. It's an awesome bullet for long range.

Are they a consistent round? I have only been using hornady's 168 Grain bthp match for up to 200 yards and I can get sub moa groupings with them. Should I expect the same with the 178 grain?

Also The super performance match has higher velocities and less drop than the regular match. Would that be better than the regular match?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom