• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    After reading M. Sage's post in the training section, I started looking for local USPSA clubs and found a few. The closest to me (Heights) is down at PSC in Friendswood; does anyone participate with local USPSA clubs? For folks that carry, this form of competition/training is readily available and a fine place to learn a "real world" skill set if one was ever to actually use a firearm for protection. Or so it seems to me.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I have done a handful of steel challenge matches. slightly different format than standard uspsa matches. no running. targets all steel. 5 per stage. shoot the stages 5 times in a row.. good training. practices drawing and getting shots off quickly.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    I shoot USPSA fairly regularly in the Houston area. All the matches for this area are listed at Home

Tomorrow there is a USPSA match at the Impact Zone which is west of town. That and the PSC match are my two favorites in the area. All of the matches I've been to in Houston have good people at them and are great practice. There's a match every weekend somewhere around Houston and a few during the week.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I've been interested in IDPA although I don't know all of the differences between IDPA and USPSA. Really I'd be open to either if I could find one a reasonable distance from me that are scheduled at times I could actually make. For example, West Houston IDPA schedules their matches at like 5:30 on a weekday...I'm usually still at work and its over an hour drive away. If you find somewhere you're interested in trying out, I may be interested in going as well.

The only competitive shooting I've ever done was with shotguns in high school but I think pistols would be a ton of fun.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    West Houston IDPA also has a match at 9am on the first Saturday of the month. There are clubs all around Houston that host IDPA, there's one every weekend somewhere.

In short IDPA is more CHL oriented with more restrictions on how things must be done, and USPSA is more of a game and faster paced with some problem sovling. Both are great practice for gun handling and shooting accurately quickly.

IDPA is primarily geared towards CHL type situations although most everyone uses full size guns. Very limited modifications can be done to the gun, there are different categories for different types of factory type guns. Concealment for the weapon and carry type holsters and magazine pouches are required. Stages are limited to 18 rounds maximum. You can only reload when at slide lock or do a tactical reload. IDPA stages require targets be shot in a certain order. Depending on the layout that can be the ones closest to you first or the first targets you see first when coming around a barricade. You must stay behind cover when engaging targets. Scoring is total time plus half second penalties for each point you lose when shooting outside the center circle of the target. Lowest total time wins.

USPSA has quite a few less restrictions on how you can shoot the stage. A good USPSA stage has several good ways it can be shot and allows to shooter to determine which way is the best adding a bit of problem solving to the game. Guns do not need to be concealed and holster/magazine pouches have fewer restrictions. USPSA classes group guns more by the types of modifications that can be done to the firearm than by the way the come from the factory. There are several classes in USPSA where factory guns can be competitive. Production division allows few modifications and most DA/SA and striker fired guns are legal, single stack division for near stock 1911's and a revolver division that allows 6 shot revolvers. The other divisions are Open which most anything goes, and Limited/Limited 10 which does not allow optical sights or compensators. USPSA stages go up to 32 rounds. USPSA scoring is your total points divided by your time. Speed is rewarded slightly more than in IDPA with this scoring system.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Thanks for the great response Jason. I'll have to look more into all of the matches available and see if I can find one that matches my schedule and is not too far away. I live about 80 miles south of Houston so there is going to be driving involved, but less is better.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Ah, forgot about the IDPA, that's the one I was looking for. Thanks Jason. I'm going to go watch a few matches over the next month. It appears West Houston is nearly as far as Brazoria, Jared give me a heads up if you're going to watch/shoot a match, I may have to come down.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Ah, forgot about the IDPA, that's the one I was looking for. Thanks Jason. I'm going to go watch a few matches over the next month. It appears West Houston is nearly as far as Brazoria, Jared give me a heads up if you're going to watch/shoot a match, I may have to come down.

And vice versa. My cousin is a member at Greenwood so I asked him to check on the membership process for me. Their website is slightly outdated (2007).

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Bumping this thread to see if anyone is shooting USPSA lately.

The Greenwood range mentioned up thread is right down the road, and we are members.

I don't shoot USPSA, but my eldest boy has shot a couple of matches a while back, but practices with a team that does Scholastic Pistol Program, which I may search for threads about...

We are debating our plans for starting going to some matches this year...Trying to work out what to do. May do some steel challenge matches and see if he wants to try USPSA again.

(my 16 year old son shoots a Glock 34).

Top Bottom