Capitol Armory ad

Anyone tried to jailbreak their iPhone 4?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpikeSpiegel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Texas
    It is just like jailbreaking any other Iphone, well kind of sort of. The big thing is the iOS 4 update. 4.2.1 I believe has been jailbroken for iPhone 4. limera1n is the original. But the thing to remember is don't update past your latest version. if you do, you will have to wait till they jailbreak the new updated version. It is simple and harmless as long as you don't try to unlock it. If you need any more help don't hesitate to ask.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Noob about these things...but is this so you can use an iPhone on another carriers network? Like say Sprint? Is it capable of everything as on it's own network (AT&T)? I'm soooo behind the times...though I currently use Android...I sure love my itouch though..

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    Randman, the radios transit and receive on different frequencies that are incompatible. (AT&T/Sprint). If you JB and unlock your IPhone, it will only work on AT&T, TMobile and Simple mobile.

Sprint and Verizon phones can be flashed (GSM term for unlocked) and used on Pocket and Cricket.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    So in a word, No, it can't be used on Sprint....LOL... Thanks... I refuse to use AT&T's crappy network... I would use an iPhone if it were available on Sprint...

daddy

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I have one and have had it jailbroken as long as it's been possible. Jailbreaking is a great option if you are willing to do the research to understand what needs to be done to manage it appropriately. If you install everything under the sun, it's likely to end up with issues. Add necessary packages one at a time and watch for quirks and you'll be fine. I have the MyWi tethering tool installed on mine and I love it. **** paying AT&T $20/month to use the data I already pay for. Thsi app was $20 and I can tether wirelessly or via USB as often as I want.

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    Daddy is correct. Apple works hard to close the holes that the Jailbreakers find to circumvent their programming so the IPhone can be used to its full potential. If you allow ITunes to do what it wants, it will kill the JB every time Apple sees progress with the JB community.

Out of curiosity, what Sprint phone are you using now? You say you would go to the IPhone if you could; I was an IPhone fanboy for years until I discovered Android. Have you looked at the EVO? It's a great phone that beats the Iphone any day of the week.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Is there an android phone for ATT that has the facetalk like the iphone4 does? Thats my dilemma. My brother has the iphone4 and I would like to be able to do facechat, but for some reason, I am interested in androids. Decisions decsions.

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    TXDad, the only solution is to buy a used TMobile MyTouch4g and then unlock it or pay someone to unlock it. Usually about $40. It will then work on AT&T. The MT4G has a front facing camera and an app called Qik Video Chat. It works the same as the IPhone Video Chat.

I unlocked one for a friend and he uses it all day without issue. I use my MT4G on TMobile and we can vid chat without any problems.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    TXDad, the only solution is to buy a used TMobile MyTouch$g and then unlock it or pay someone to unlock it. Usually about $40. It will then work on AT&T. The MT4G has a front facing camera and an app called Qik Video Chat. It works the same as the IPhone Video Chat.

I unlocked one for a friend and he uses it all day without issue. I use my MT4G on TMobile and we can vid chat without any problems.

Awesome suggestion. Thanks for the response :) I will look into that. Just got an old iphone 2g (first model) from clist to see if I liked them before I upgraded my att plan with a new one. At least this way I didnt blow my chance at getting something I dont possibly want. It sure does take some getting used to.

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    I got the first IPhone when it came out in '07(?). Had the 3G and 3Gs as well. Went back and forth some with my first Android G1. It had issues because it was the FIRST Android. I used the IPhone while the Android community worked the bugs out and now use MyTouch4G and don't see myself looking back. It is head and shoulders above IOS.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Im still undecided as of now. I went to the ATT store yesterday to talk about my bill since the iphone i got. I already had internet and unlimited texting on the 2g network. They said since I am using the 2g iphone my plan wouldnt change. lol. Talk about lucking out with old tech. lol.

Top Bottom