• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goodfellas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    Been wanting a PPk for awhile and remembered hearing about the PPS on the Outdoor Channel and was curious if anyone has had a chance to try one yet. I'm not sure witch one to get but if the PPS is a good gun I might just end up with both
    Capitol Armory ad

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Hands down one of the best choices out there for a carry gun. I really like them. They shoot well, especially for their size, they are reliable (workings are very similar to a Glock), have a full size grip (for me), and are incredibly slim. They come with a larger rear backstrap as well.

I've sold alot of them to people and haven't heard a single complaint. Can't say the same about the PPKs I've sold.

djspump2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    I went through a Glock 26, Kahr PM9, and an XD sub-compact before I finally found my PPS.

For the first time since I got rid of the PM9 (only b/c the mag release would get stuck and eject my mag after the first round fired) it doesn't feel like I am carrying around a brick and everyone knows it.

Very accurate for such a short-barreled weapon as well as reliable. I have put over 2000 rounds through mine and it does not jam. I'm not really sure what else to say positive about it without sounding like I am selling them.

Disadvantage: magazines cost around $50 and are hard to find.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    S/W Tarrant County
    The PPS in 9mm is a great all around subcompact gun. As said above, small, accurate and dependable. A great carry gun also. Never even tried the .40 S&W, I have heard they are pretty rough to shoot and some have had issues with them. I just purchased mine and have 250 rounds through it without a single problem. See if you can rent one, I think you will be pleasantly surprised, I am!

P.S.

Here is the [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]PPS Owners Forum....[/FONT]

http://ppstalk.com/forum/default.asp

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The PPS is the smallest 9mm you can buy without getting an extremely uncomfortable gun IMO. They are about as smooth as it gets in a subcompact 9mm, for it's size. A comparable size 9mm, the Kahr P9, has much more felt recoil, harder to see sights, and just does not shoot as smoothly as the PPS. The PM9 is even worse. Then there are guns in 9mm like the Rohrbaugh R9, which are retardedly expensive (as in ~$1000), I'm sure are pretty punishing recoil wise, etc. The few times I've shot a 9mm PPS, it was one of the few true subcompacts I could have shot all day long and not felt tortured to death by recoil, muzzle flip, etc.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I shot a few rounds through one and thought it was pretty good, and a pistol I might buy one day. To me, recoil is about the same as my PM9 with a Pierce grip which allows a full grip. (without that on the Kahr, it's pretty snappy, and very uncomfortable after 20 or so rounds)

The only negative I've read is something about if the the snap on back strap comes loose, the gun becomes inoperative. I don't know how much of a real life issue this is, but I mention it as some people seem to be concerned.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    S/W Tarrant County
    The only negative I've read is something about if the the snap on back strap comes loose, the gun becomes inoperative. I don't know how much of a real life issue this is, but I mention it as some people seem to be concerned.

This correct, if you remove the backstrap the gun is disabled. This is their trademark QuckSafe feature and I have heard that repeated removal can cause the latch to fail. In the instructions it tells you to remove the backstrap when you strip the gun. This is not necessary and everyone recommends you leave the backstrap in place. If you do, all you need to do to remove the slide is release the striker from half cock by pulling the trigger, just like a Glock. I should remind you to check the gun to make sure it is unloaded. . . then check again. . . and again. . . and maybe one more!!!

The gun comes with the small and medium backstrap and even though I have small hands I found the medium fit me better. I purchased a Limbsaver slip on grip that I later removed. I just did not like the sticky feel, but it works very well and will certainly hold the backstrap in place. If you want to try one get the one labeled Large Sub-Compact #12013. Here is where I first saw this. . .

PPS Owners Forum - New Slip-On Grip Available for the PPS

You should be able to find the Limbsaver grip for about $10.00.

Here is the PDF download of the manual. . .

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Walther/upload/other/PPS_Manual.pdf

As I had said before, I am extremely please with this gun. I am Sig shooter and even though my P239 is a small gun, it is not nearly as compact as the PPS and is much heavier. I own the 9mm PPS and like I pointed out above, there have been few issue with this one compared to the .40 S&W version.

Top Bottom