Patriot Mobile

Anyone try the Philster Enigma concealment holster?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    I do restaurant food delivery (UberEats, DoorDash, Grubhub, etc.) in Austin. I always carry concealed. I end up in bad parts of town sometimes. My main hangout area is downtown because it gets the highest volume of orders. I've had mentally ill homeless people walk right up to me out of the blue and threaten to kill me on several occasions.

I was using an appendix carry IWB rig. It was beyond uncomfortable. It dug into me and left bruises. It also didn't conceal very well.

I recently switched to a belly pouch holster. It's comfortable but I can't get a full grip on the gun on the draw. And reholstering is very difficult.

I've been looking at the Philster Enigma. It's got good reviews. It has the advantage that it doesn't require a gun belt and works with beltless pants.

If anyone has direct experience with this holster system please post your opinion of it here. Thanks!
    <><>

philster_enigma.jpg

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/enigma-landing/
    Venture Surplus ad

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Those are interesting. I was considering getting my gf one. She uses a belly band holster when doing outdoor activities but she complains how hot they are.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    One of the best, If not the best, concealed carry systems going.
    It is great for concealed carry in scrubs.

Or so my friend tells me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    This would be the reason I would consider it if I wasn't a remote worker. My scrubs carry is a 340pd in a pocket holster or remora with an ulticlip.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Not to say bad things can't happen here but I always smile when people talk about dangerous parts of Austin. If you are that worried you should not let someone unknown to you walk right up to you. You're already behind the 8 ball at that point.

As far as comfortable holsters go, I have no experience with the enigma. For me owb at 4 o'clock works great.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I do restaurant food delivery (UberEats, DoorDash, Grubhub, etc.) in Austin. I always carry concealed. I end up in bad parts of town sometimes. My main hangout area is downtown because it gets the highest volume of orders. I've had mentally ill homeless people walk right up to me out of the blue and threaten to kill me on several occasions.

I was using an appendix carry IWB rig. It was beyond uncomfortable. It dug into me and left bruises. It also didn't conceal very well.

I recently switched to a belly pouch holster. It's comfortable but I can't get a full grip on the gun on the draw. And reholstering is very difficult.

I've been looking at the Philster Enigma. It's got good reviews. It has the advantage that it doesn't require a gun belt and works with beltless pants.

If anyone has direct experience with this holster system please post your opinion of it here. Thanks!
    <><>

View attachment 337996

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/enigma-landing/

I don't have anything to say about the Enigma.....but I am impressed with your abs. Keep up the good work!

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    Not to say bad things can't happen here but I always smile when people talk about dangerous parts of Austin. If you are that worried you should not let someone unknown to you walk right up to you. You're already behind the 8 ball at that point.

As far as comfortable holsters go, I have no experience with the enigma. For me owb at 4 o'clock works great.
    I fully realize how much worse places like Houston are than Austin. I grew up in L.A. and lived in some areas worse than that. But 'worse' is a relative term.

So far as 'letting unknown people walk right up to you', when I'm loading an order I picked up into my car or stuffing a hot pizza into a pizza bag, I'm standing on a crowded sidewalk. There's a lot of homeless mixed in with the crowd. So there's no "letting". It's just part of the environment I work in.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    Sitting behind the wheel of a vehicle that aint going to work. If I was going to jack someone it be with them behind the wheel of their ride. Might as well take everything if I'm going to risk getting capped.
    It's carrying in the same place as my belly pouch and appendix IWB holsters. Those both work fine when sitting in my car. This should be about the same. Perhaps you're assuming it rides lower than it actually does.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    It's carrying in the same place as my belly pouch and appendix IWB holsters. Those both work fine when sitting in my car. This should be about the same. Perhaps you're assuming it rides lower than it actually does.
    I waited for like 8 month for a Tucker chect rig for my full sized 1911. Totaly love it. I hid behind the top flap of my bib overalls, with easy access.

Last edited:

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    I saw a gun writer say he was getting that Tucker chest rig to carry a heavy revolver on an Alaska trip. Looks pretty sweet.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    I don't know if reholstering should be a primary concern. Are you having to remove the pistol from the holster for reasons other than defense?
    I never said it was a primary concern. But if I have to render first aid or do something else with my hands I don't want to stuff my pistol in a pocket or in my waistband. I like to always have my pistol either secure in the holster or in my hand.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I think what you are looking for is out there. You just have to decide what works best for you. That's why most of us have a drawer full of holsters. For me right now an owb snap holster is what I like. AIWB never was my thing. You said AIWB doesn't conceal well. Have you tried iwb or owb at 4 o'clock. Assuming you're right handed.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    I think what you are looking for is out there. You just have to decide what works best for you. That's why most of us have a drawer full of holsters. For me right now an owb snap holster is what I like. AIWB never was my thing. You said AIWB doesn't conceal well. Have you tried iwb or owb at 4 o'clock. Assuming you're right handed.
    That's how I carried most of my life. But now with my job involving driving constantly that doesn't work for me. Behind the hip carry requires you to lean forward and reach back to draw while sitting. That exposes the back of your head to someone standing at your car window. It telegraphs that you're drawing and it's much slower. With appendix carry you can draw more surreptitiously and quicker when sitting. And I said my current AIWB holster doesn't conceal well enough. That doesn't say others won't as well.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    PHLster makes a regular aiwb holster too. Check out their website and their YouTube channel. They got lots of good information on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Their AIWB holster is the one that digs into me, leaves bruises and doesn't conceal that well. I think it'll work much better in the Enigma harness.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    Why don’t you just try out the Enigma for awhile and see if you like it. I’d bet that’s how most of us ended up with what we wear and a drawer (or two) full of holsters. Also, I would be cautious about holster opinions. What is comfortable for me may not be for you.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    Why don’t you just try out the Enigma for awhile and see if you like it. I’d bet that’s how most of us ended up with what we wear and a drawer (or two) full of holsters. Also, I would be cautious about holster opinions. What is comfortable for me may not be for you.
    That's the plan, once I scratch up an extra $90 or so. Right now I'm dealing with some financial difficulties but I'm hoping to be able to order it by the end of the month.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    That's how I carried most of my life. But now with my job involving driving constantly that doesn't work for me. Behind the hip carry requires you to lean forward and reach back to draw while sitting. That exposes the back of your head to someone standing at your car window. It telegraphs that you're drawing and it's much slower. With appendix carry you can draw more surreptitiously and quicker when sitting. And I said my current AIWB holster doesn't conceal well enough. That doesn't say others won't as well.
    Ankle holsters and shoulder holsters are great for vehicle work.

Top Bottom