• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Well, fellows, I'm a little late to the party; but 4 days ago, I decided to cut out extraneous sugar, refined flour, white potatoes, white rice...all the fun stuff. I'll still eat plenty of 'bad' stuff; but just not the most egregious examples. I've been doing somewhat better with meals, having a protein and veggies or salad, cutting down starch and bread in general. The problem for me is my affinity for sugar. Only thing I like better than sugar is cooked sugar...or sugar mixed with something like iced tea or vanilla cream, etc. Pork ribs might be my second favorite food group!

Wouldn't surprise me if I'm already down a pound or two this week...DW says I can chew sugarless gum and end up losing weight just by thinking about it! ;) The first 10-12 drop pretty quickly; but from my high of 250, I've not been below 235 in quite a while. Even though I'm shrinking down from 5'11", I'd be happy to see deuce and a quarter again...cardio doc says 200(but he's a whippet).

Best of luck to those on this adventure!

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    Well, fellows, I'm a little late to the party; but 4 days ago, I decided to cut out extraneous sugar, refined flour, white potatoes, white rice...all the fun stuff. I'll still eat plenty of 'bad' stuff; but just not the most egregious examples. I've been doing somewhat better with meals, having a protein and veggies or salad, cutting down starch and bread in general. The problem for me is my affinity for sugar. Only thing I like better than sugar is cooked sugar...or sugar mixed with something like iced tea or vanilla cream, etc. Pork ribs might be my second favorite food group!

Wouldn't surprise me if I'm already down a pound or two this week...DW says I can chew sugarless gum and end up losing weight just by thinking about it! ;) The first 10-12 drop pretty quickly; but from my high of 250, I've not been below 235 in quite a while. Even though I'm shrinking down from 5'11", I'd be happy to see deuce and a quarter again...cardio doc says 200(but he's a whippet).

Best of luck to those on this adventure!

Would not call you late. We've only been at this 2 weeks. Good luck !!.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I lost another pound since yesterday, so 16.2lbs total since Oct. 21st. Again, no exercise, purely the nutrition change. After doing a bit of research, I'm kind of curious about something I've been hearing more about. What they call "carb cycling". It sounds like all low carb all the time can eventually, after a period of time, reduce some of the potential for the body to reach thermogenesis as often, but if you throw in the occasional day of doubling or tripling your carb intake of leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, kale, collard greens, etc.), especially on serious workout days, that it can keep your body from getting stagnant and keep your body in ketosis (burning fat for energy). I'm about to start lifting, as I think tomorrow or Thursday will be 30 days of the nutrition change. I'll be curious to see what happens from going from my typical restriction of 50-100g of carbs a day to adding in the occasional day of 150-200g on workout days where I'm really pushing myself hard, maybe 2-3 times a week, with the other workout days being a bit lighter in intensity.

Found a company I am really excited to have found: NutraBio.com - Supplement and Vitamin Store

I will be receiving a bunch of their stuff in a couple days. Compared to some of the other options out there, I like that they are very up front about ALL ingredients, and use as natural and as healthy of ingredients as possible. Except for some of their artificially sweetened stuff, all the non-sweetened stuff like their whey and BCAA's basically don't have anything artificial, preservative, or otherwise unhealthy.

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Down 3.7lbs this week. Slow going but on track with my 2month loose 25lb goal.

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Always wanted a bike so I could go ride abd get some exercise. Maybe after the holidays I will find me a big boy bike.

Yea I suppose slow is better then nothing, that's why I never stuck to it in the past because it takes so long with a few lbs here and there. But when I got on the scale 2 weeks ago and seen 354lbs.I thought ok funs over I have to do somthing. At 348 now.

GrandpaOf18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Elmendorf TX
    Holy cow. Well at least you still have your sense of humor. Hope you are doing well considering.

My sense of humor is one part they can't cut out.

I'm doing ok. It had been 4 years since the original kidney cancer was removed. A small tumor came up on my pancreas last September, on the tail of it. So they removed the tumer (and the tail). It is Kidney cancer even if it was on my pancreas, not pancreas cancer, so it is removable and not as bad.

Now my 5 year clock has to start over.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Late to the party but here's my story.

I'm a lifelong fattie who developed Type 2 diabetes a number of years ago. I gave up on ever losing weight many years ago.

Things changed a couple of years ago. My doctor did something (I don't even remember what) that seriously pissed me off so I stopped seeing him and went to an endocrinologist who came highly recommended by another doctor I've known and trusted for many years. The woman was a godsend. She pointed out that one of the meds I was taking was notorious for making people gain weight so she changed my meds. In addition to taking me off the stuff that had me seriously gaining weight she also put me on a fairly new Type 2 diabetes drug that has, for some people, a side effect of reducing hunger. I'm one of the people who benefits from that side effect. Those changes allowed my weight to stabilize for quite a while.

I was happy with that. I wasn't working (much) toward weight loss because losing weight had always meant heavy weightlifting if I was going to see any results quickly. I always managed to injure myself and never made working out a steady habit. But once my weight was stable for a while, I began to get restless and wondered if I could do better.

A few months ago I started doing very gentle, short, non-challenging workouts but doing them religiously, every single day. Basically, it's just walking and a little light weightlifting. Add in a little carb-cutting and eating a few vegetables and the results have been good.

I've lost 47 pounds in about the last 5 months. I'm actually confident I can keep this up. As I get closer to my long-term goal weight, I know I'll have to work much harder to lose each pound but, for now, I think I'll just keep on with what's working.

Last edited:

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Life always seems to get in the way of working out, or loosing weight.Plus it's not all that fun so hard to keep at it for some, or atleast me.Trying to eat right if half the battle.

But the weight loss is great. If I can loose that much in 5 months I would be more then happy!

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Late to the party but here's my story.

I'm a lifelong fattie who developed Type 2 diabetes a number of years ago. I gave up on ever losing weight many years ago.

Things changed a couple of years ago. My doctor did something (I don't even remember what) that seriously pissed me off so I stopped seeing him and went to an endocrinologist who came highly recommended by another doctor I've known and trusted for many years. The woman was a godsend. She pointed out that one of the meds I was taking was notorious for making people gain weight so she changed my meds. In addition to taking me off the stuff that had me seriously gaining weight she also put me on a fairly new Type 2 diabetes drug that has, for some people, a side effect of reducing hunger. I'm one of the people who benefits from that side effect. Those changes allowed my weight to stabilize for quite a while.

I was happy with that. I wasn't working (much) toward weight loss because losing weight had always meant heavy weightlifting if I was going to see any results quickly. I always managed to injure myself and never made working out a steady habit. But once my weight was stable for a while, I began to get restless and wondered if I could do better.

A few months ago I started doing very gentle, short, non-challenging workouts but doing them religiously, every single day. Basically, it's just walking and a little light weightlifting. Add in a little carb-cutting and eating a few vegetables and the results have been good.

I've lost 47 pounds in about the last 5 months. I'm actually confident I can keep this up. As I get closer to my long-term goal weight, I know I'll have to work much harder to lose each pound but, for now, I think I'll just keep on with what's working.

^ that's pretty awesome. Stay strong.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    For those of you whom sugary drinks is a weak point (I put myself in this category), give this a try. It has been a godsend for me.

Couple drops in a bottle of water, and suddenly I'm drinking almost a gallon of water a day, and no sugar.

They have it and others like it at the grocery store, but here's a link on Amazon for you couch surfers.

Crystal Light Liquid -Variety Flavors One-3 Pack of 1.62 Fl. Oz Bottles (Blueberry Raspberry-iced Tea & Strawberry Lemonade)
    http://amzn.com/B00CA6O6IY

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Crystal Light has sucralose (Splenda) in it. Some studies have linked Splenda to irritation or destruction of good gut bacteria, impeding bowel function, cancer, and a whole host of other negative health effects. Just saying. ;)

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Being sick sucks, knock on wood I made it this far in the year without being sick.

Got 11 miles down on the treadmill this week. It better pay off, will find out tomorrow :/

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I know real change comes with eating better and moving more. So now that, thats out of the way...

Anyone want to lay it on the line and do a weight loss challenge for a month or something?

Its good to be part of a group for encouragement and accountability.

We can end it on Thanksgiving.
    I am down about 26 lbs, not sure where I will stabilize but thinking I am close now, maybe another 6-8 lbs bringing me in at 187, on my 6'2" frame, age near 70...

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    My normal weight hovered around 136 for about twenty years. Then, in 1998 I started to gain weight when I quit running four miles a day. By 2002, my weight was up to 175 and had to get fitted for new britches. One day I heard a doctor on the local radio station say the easiest weight control program to follow was to (1) eat less fried foods (2) drink water or unsweetened tea & coffee instead of soda pops (3) eliminate all white bread, including tortillas from the diet (4) forgo all sweets -- candy, cakes, cookies, etc. and, (5) get more exercise.

My weight loss was not dramatic, but over time, I am now down to 132, sleep better, don't have apnea, and can wear my old clothes.

Did it without gimmicks, supplements, tricks or meds. Was it easy? No. Was it possible? Yes.

I did discover Brussel Sprouts taste pretty good when steamed.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom