ARJ Defense ad

Anyone use a lever action rifle for Defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I think Bane said his was 44mag on the show. The 44mag/357mag/45 colt calibers would have better magazine capacity. Marlins website said 10 for the handgun calibers I think. And only 5 or 6 with the rifle stuff.

Im gonna look around for a good deal on one. Not sure about a $100, although that would be great!

What kind of optic would you put on that? Red dot?

10 rounds vs 5 or 6.. The average shooting is 2-3 rounds. Not that more isn't better. For the past year or so I kept my AK with a 30 round mag ready.

Optics? For HD, I'd probably just put some night sights on it and practice. You should very rarely need to aim a rifle at indoor distances. Inside about 15 yards with a rifle, I'm usually point-shooting. Is it precise? No. Is it good enough to put hits inside the A zone on an IDPA target? You bet it is, and it's a lot faster. Plus, you don't have to be able to see your sights.

I have a 12 gauge pump with #6 shot...I don't think this is an issue with over penetration, but will sure mess up a BG..

Scroll down for gelatin test results: tacticalworks.ca!

If you're feeling lazy, though, I'll spoon-feed you. :p

#5 birdshot at 9 feet. It'll get worse fast...:
    tacticalworks.ca!

It doesn't make the 12" minimum demanded by the FBI. It may kill someone. I'd even say it would probably kill someone. But I wouldn't bet on it stopping them quickly enough.

00 buckshot, reduced recoil:
    tacticalworks.ca!

Way more than the 12" minimum, which might be kind of scary for HD, but is better than coming up short. Exit wounds are a good thing (on the other guy).

Go check out the site. Even #4 buckshot is enough (but just barely). Anything smaller isn't up to snuff, though.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I should so tacti-cool out a lever action. ;) lol I can just see it now. Lever action .30-30, picatinny rail on the receiver for an Aimpoint T-1 with a 4x maginfier because well you just never know, picatinny rail up front for a grip-pod vertical grip, plus a Surefire forend over the mag tube for clearing those pesky dark corners at night, plus trijicon flip up BUIS, m4 collapsible stock and m4 pistol grip...... Hmm, maybe I should fire up Photoshop. ;) I am completely joking BTW. That's a bit too much blasphemy even for me. ;)

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    A. I think a lever gun for HD is the perfect excuse to purchase one for every room. But then, I am partial to lever guns.

B. I would still reach for a 12 gauge pump first in any HD situation.

C. Talking about Chuck Conners like that is just plain wrong...

O.S.O.K.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    I have hi cap 9mm XD's with tac lights for in the house defense. I also have a Marlin 94 CS in .357 Mag loaded with 180 grian XTP's for outside needs - this will easily penetrate into a car.

Top Bottom