Guns International

Anyone use a lever action rifle for Defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sidewayz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Decatur, TX
    I just watched a Shooting Gallery episode last night on my DVR and Michael Bane was talking about how well the lever action rifle works for home defense purposes.

Im considering it just to save $1k bucks or so compared to buying an AR. XS Sights also makes optic rails for some of the Marlins.

Just wondering what ya'll think about this.
    Target Sports

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Nothing wrong with it at all. Just be sure you are able to load it with rounds light enough in powder and frangible enough bullets as not to overpenetrate your walls and injure a third party.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I saw that one last week. He bought his for $100 and it's his HD gun. I was surprised.

I've got one I haven't shot in 20 years but I've got the hankerin to see how fast I can run 8 rounds through her without breaking my hand.

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    IMO, it all depends on what caliber you use. I'd opt for a 357, 44 mag or 45 colt for HD purposes, 30-30, 35 Rem, 444, 45-70 would be overkill for inside the home but not outside.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Nothing wrong with it at all. Just be sure you are able to load it with rounds light enough in powder and frangible enough bullets as not to overpenetrate your walls and injure a third party.

Any projectile that can kill a person is going to be able to go through multiple walls, no exceptions. LIght soft points or hollow points are a good idea, though.

Any load I'm willing to trust my life to is powerful enough to make an exit wound

IMO, it all depends on what caliber you use. I'd opt for a 357, 44 mag or 45 colt for HD purposes, 30-30, 35 Rem, 444, 45-70 would be overkill for inside the home but not outside.

.444 and .45-70 might be overkill, I agree. But .30-30? That's not really much more powerful than 7.62x39, and I'd use my AK for HD without a second thought.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    heck yea

If you can get hits with it use the darn thing. My father has an old Winchester trapper in 44mag and I would never hesitate to use it for home defense.

Sidewayz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Decatur, TX
    I think Bane said his was 44mag on the show. The 44mag/357mag/45 colt calibers would have better magazine capacity. Marlins website said 10 for the handgun calibers I think. And only 5 or 6 with the rifle stuff.

Im gonna look around for a good deal on one. Not sure about a $100, although that would be great!

What kind of optic would you put on that? Red dot?

jimmy-buffett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    If cost is the main issue, I don't know why you wouldn't use a shotgun. It's generally agreed upon as the best HD weapon anyway (the cocking sound is a great deterrent, minimizes overpenetration), and whatever you would spend a lever-action rifle, you could definitely get a pump shotgun for the same price.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Shotguns have the same amount of penetration problem as a common handgun round when you consider that 2 - 4 sheets of sheetrock separate living quarters in a house.

Just know your firing lanes and if you have no solution, opt for frangible.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    Sure, Pilgrim...

f2128ed9.gif

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    Shotguns have the same amount of penetration problem as a common handgun round when you consider that 2 - 4 sheets of sheetrock separate living quarters in a house.

Just know your firing lanes and if you have no solution, opt for frangible.

I have a 12 gauge pump with #6 shot...I don't think this is an issue with over penetration, but will sure mess up a BG..

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I have a 12 gauge pump with #6 shot...I don't think this is an issue with over penetration, but will sure mess up a BG..

The problem is with just "messing up" a bad guy. If the threat is enough that you need to have and use a firearm, it's enough to stop the threat quickly. Mess someone up and you never know how they're body and mind will react.

An close friend who's an HPD officer was involved in a situation many years ago that was an eye opener. I may have told the story here before.

The short version, a guy jacked up on cocaine (crack maybe) had fired at officers. After he took 15+ rounds he finally went to his knees but was still fighting. If I recall, when he finally went down, he had 22 rounds, most in his torso. He may not have technically been "alive" but he was a serious threat that became a more serious threat after being hit a few times.

If you don't have a situation where you need to put them down, you likely don't need to have a firearm aimed at them.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    The problem is with just "messing up" a bad guy. If the threat is enough that you need to have and use a firearm, it's enough to stop the threat quickly. Mess someone up and you never know how they're body and mind will react.

An close friend who's an HPD officer was involved in a situation many years ago that was an eye opener. I may have told the story here before.

The short version, a guy jacked up on cocaine (crack maybe) had fired at officers. After he took 15+ rounds he finally went to his knees but was still fighting. If I recall, when he finally went down, he had 22 rounds, most in his torso. He may not have technically been "alive" but he was a serious threat that became a more serious threat after being hit a few times.

If you don't have a situation where you need to put them down, you likely don't need to have a firearm aimed at them.

So what do you suggest???

I still think a shotgun, in a home , is the best choice.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    So what do you suggest???

I still think a shotgun, in a home , is the best choice.

I agree. That's what I have as what I consider my primary.

Loaded with 0, 00 and 000 based on progressive need. I just know that whether it's the shotgun or one of my 1911's, I need to be aware the round/shot is going through walls and plan that it'll likely go outside as well. I need to plan to not miss and place the shot right.

Of course it never works out like we plan for. So here's no never having to find out. ;)

Sidewayz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Decatur, TX
    I already have a Moss 12ga. that is primary for my home defense. My XD is back up for home. I just want to add a rifle to the lineup. But, at this time, can't spend $1200+ on an AR.

Top Bottom