• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Holy crap that's expensive stuff. I have a general distrust of that company - they're very shady.

If you don't want to use surplus (why not? Shouldn't be a problem), I'd hunt up some Prvi Partizan. Good stuff from a company I'm a lot more willing to trust.

captaind172

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Dallas
    I've read that surplus is pretty corrosive. This K98 I have came from the battle of the buldge, and I'd hate to pit anything bad down there.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Corrosive ammo is very easy to deal with, it's nowhere near as scary as you sound. Here's the lowdown:

Corrosive ammo is "corrosive" because of a compound in the primer - potassium chlorate. When this burns, it turns into potassium chloride - a salt. This is the "corrosive" chemical in all of this ammo. The salt will wick moisture out of the air and oxidize steel, so the more humid the air the sooner you should clean your rifle, but since it's a salt reaction, you always have a bit of time (in terms of hours).

To avoid damaging a rifle when shooting corrosive ammo, as soon as you can, or as soon as you get home clean the rifle with something water-based. The best thing is hot water with some kind of soap in it - dish soap works fine. Hot, soapy water - the water dissolves salt, hot water dissolves it better and can dissolve more of it; soap gets rid of the surface tension in the water allowing it to get into tiny nooks and crannies. You can't really use too much. Clean the barrel, clean around the muzzle, clean the breech area and clean the bolt face. Rinse (with hot water again), and then clean and oil as you would any hunting rifle - your rifle will last a lot longer than you will.

captaind172

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Dallas
    You're right, that's nowhere near as bad as others have made it sound. I really would like to fire this gun more. So what's the best source for this ammo? Thanks for the great, detailed info. It clears up everything forme.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Aimsurplus sells Romanian 8mm Mauser from time to time. The Yugoslavian M30 is really good and it's lead core in case your range dislikes steel core. I'd buy some muzzle-loader bore cleaner like Birchwood Casey Muzzle Magic (it's what I use for corrosive primer residue), it says right on the container that it is good for corrosive ammunition. I push several patches of that down the bore, a few dry patches and then clean as usual.

vetwfal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Seattle
    Ammoman.com has a good deal on 8mm yugo ammo. The ad says 57 but the stuff I got was 70s era stuff. Shoots great. I also have a k98 and M34 both like the stuff.

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    When you go to the range take some windex with you and when your done shooting, spray some windex down the barrel and then put a cleaning rod down it to clear it out.

or use some hoppes #9 after your done.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Since no one has mentioned it ... get into reloading. You will find alot of variation in how hot the ammo on the commercial market is, and that is going to make the gun shoot very different than the original German load-outs. The Germans did ALOT of ballistic research and found greater accuracy and reliability upsizing from .318 to .323 bullets. The 7.92x57JS (JS = Jagdspitzer) is a great round for accuracy and power.

jeffw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    buna tx
    yugo 24/47 8mm mauser

these 24/47 should be a .323 dia bore and not the .318 right? should be able to handly the hot ammo right?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    these 24/47 should be a .323 dia bore and not the .318 right? should be able to handly the hot ammo right?

Oh yeah, the WWII and post war made Mausers are all .323 bore diameter. Only the early large ring Mausers were .318. All of the large ring Mauser K98s have the third recoil lug and can take all kinds of beatings, so high powered 8mm is not problem. Just check for any overpressurization signals on the primers, sticky bolts, etc. as you normally would.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you want to start reloading, there is a line of reloadable brass ammunition made by PPU sold under the Privi Partisan and Wolf Gold labels that's pretty good. It costs a little more per round than loose brass, but it's probably easier to find and you get to have some fun with it.

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    When you go to the range take some windex with you and when your done shooting, spray some windex down the barrel and then put a cleaning rod down it to clear it out.

or use some hoppes #9 after your done.

Exactly! Windex is soap, water and ammonia. Check, check, check. Hoppes#9 is well regarded, going back to the time of all corrosive ammo. Clean the bore after firing corr. ammo or suspected corr. ammo. You will have done all that is necessary or required.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ammonia is good for copper. It doesn't help or hurt with corrosive ammo, but it's something that's corrosive to a barrel in and of itself - you don't want to leave it in there.

Top Bottom