• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tarheel7734

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Living in NC, but from Texas
    I was planning on a 6.8 build and should be done with the lower soon, but lookingat price of ammo i am second guessing my choice. Now i am thinking of using a 5.56 till i cwn fford a second upper for 6.8. 556 is much cheaper to pratice with and i can splurge on 20 rounds for hunting in a heavier grain. Eventually i will get into hand loading, but not quite there. What say you?
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I use a 223 with 55gr soft points and it works fine provided bullet placement is minded.

I'm in the process of building an AR with a 1:7" twist and will be running the 77gr stuff on critters. If they don't perform well the Nosler bonded flat bases look pretty appealing as well.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I built a 300BO upper just for hunting piggies. Haven't had a chance to hunt with it yet (still finding my magic load), but everything I've read states that 300BO is a much better cartridge on hogs and deer.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    As far as I know, all 5.56 is FMJ. I don't think FMJ is the best for deer hunting. Instead, I would use .223 soft point on deer. 5.56 Should be good on the hogs tho, where more penetration is desirable.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Everyone has a different opinion, so be prepared for that. Here's mine: save your money for the bigger bullet. Having shot hogs with everything from a 38gr .22LR to a 200gr .35Rem, I lean strongly towards the larger bullets.

This being said, the AR platform is idea for hogs. I just wish I had an AR10 instead of an AR15.

However, if you want to kill big things with a little bullet, see a test I just did, here http://instagram.com/p/oRvhP1htEF/ and here http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58537.

adetapyh.jpg

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    Green tip M855 ammo is devestating on hogs. You dont need expensive magic hunting bullets. Dont use AMAX bullets on hogs. Every one I shot with a 168 amax didnt penetrate enough for one shot kills. You need something that will penetrate. In 30 cal, I use 150gr FMJ. They work great!

Last edited:

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    It wouldn't be my first choice... not by a fairly wide margin... but I'd use it if that's all I had and it should be okay... but JUST okay.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Personally, I've never hunted hogs but I can pass on what my hog hunting buddies tell me which is M193 ammo works great on hogs and they've got the video to prove it. They hunt hogs from their UH1-H and have cameras mounted on their rifles and helmets. Bobby (the dad) made a "family" video of his sons killing hogs from the helo and showed it to me last year. They took about 125 hogs over a weekend and every hog on the video went down after a little puff appeared on them.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    Considering pigs are several times denser than deer, it will do the job. I would recommend a soft point bullet for deer. I think you are getting wrapped around the axles for nothing. Think about it..... Deer arent made of AR500 Armor Plate, so If you shoot a deer with anything do you honestly think its going to walk away like nothing happened? I took a yote at 200 yards with M855 on one shot. Its not the arrow.... Its the indian!

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Considering pigs are several times denser than deer, it will do the job. I would recommend a soft point bullet for deer. I think you are getting wrapped around the axles for nothing. Think about it..... Deer arent made of AR500 Armor Plate, so If you shoot a deer with anything do you honestly think its going to walk away like nothing happened? I took a yote at 200 yards with M855 on one shot. Its not the arrow.... Its the indian!

Not sure I would go that far. I've seen deer hit with various caliber/bullet combo's and not always drop even with good placement. There are only a couple of shots that will ensure a drop or minimal tracking no matter the caliber.

Top Bottom