Guns International

Anyone using Frangible ammo for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • garabae

</null>
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2023
    DFW
    Yeah, it's one of those topics people tend to debate ad nauseam. Seems like in a CQ situation where overpenetration has to be avoided as much as possible, frangible may be a reasonable choice.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I'm alone in a house with a brick exterior. With it being winter & people wearing heavier clothes I wouldn't choose it. Y'all have seen test where hollow points opened on heavy clothes and fail at penetration.

Any of y'all remember reports of the Le MAS Ltd RBCD bullets?

garabae

</null>
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2023
    DFW
    No. Frangible rounds are for shooting steel up close, thats it.

No one has ever been hit by a pass through by a FMJ or JHP handgun round from all the research I've done
    I am not disputing your statement re: pass-through hits, but could you please provide some links? Much appreciated!

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I am not disputing your statement re: pass-through hits, but could you please provide some links? Much appreciated!

Links to things that didn't happen? That's not something you can really link to. You can google variations of "over penetrating round hits bystander"

There's stuff about it (with FMJ) happening in some police departments (especially NYPD), but I'd be hesitant to plan my home defense loadout around their experience.

Fortunately you don't have to pick between frangible rounds or FMJ's. Get some HST's, rangers, gold dots, or critical duty

garabae

</null>
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2023
    DFW
    Links to things that didn't happen? That's not something you can really link to. You can google variations of "over penetrating round hits bystander"

There's stuff about it (with FMJ) happening in some police departments (especially NYPD), but I'd be hesitant to plan my home defense loadout around their experience.

Fortunately you don't have to pick between frangible rounds or FMJ's. Get some HST's, rangers, gold dots, or critical duty
    Thanks. I was hoping for some statistics (hence request for links) but I will do my own due diligence.

Don't get me started on NYPD and similar big-city PDs. The only truly accidental gunshot wound I've ever tended to (and I've tended to dozens) was a Chicago PD officer accidentally shooting his own partner in the leg while practicing at a police range. Their captain looked like he was going to have a stroke from embarrassment.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Thanks. I was hoping for some statistics (hence request for links) but I will do my own due diligence.

Don't get me started on NYPD and similar big-city PDs. The only truly accidental gunshot wound I've ever tended to (and I've tended to dozens) was a Chicago PD officer accidentally shooting his own partner in the leg while practicing at a police range. Their captain looked like he was going to have a stroke from embarrassment.
    My favorite was when a bunch of NYPD surrounded a criminal in a big circle, and they all opened up on him. I don't remember the exact details, but the BG was hit like once, and 17 cops ended up getting shot.

Unfortunately statistics only really exist on LE shootings. You'll find people who say they've "analyzed hundreds/thousands of shootings", but no actual evidence, much less any with actual refrences

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    You might start here:
    Buford Boone, former FBI supervisory special agent who ran the FBI Ballistic Research Facility in Quantico, Va., said the bullets used in frangible ammunition are known to not break apart when impacting softer surfaces such as common building materials. “The bullets in frangible ammo are known to grossly over penetrate soft tissue as in ‘if you want to shoot through the most people with one shot, frangible would be the go-to round,’” Boone said.

Read more at: https://www.panews.com/2016/10/24/w...ical-of-ammo-school-marshals-required-to-use/

Yes, it’s a news article, but it’ll give you some names to start searching for studies from.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Too many if's, ands or buts about ammo. My first concern is me, myself and I along with my family. All else is secondary if at all. I would use the same logic if carrying outside my home.

garabae

</null>
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2023
    DFW
    You might start here:

Yes, it’s a news article, but it’ll give you some names to start searching for studies from.
    Protection of Children act, eh? As per usual, the real outcome is precisely the opposite of what it's called (see Affordable Care act, Safer Communities act etcetera).

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I have never once even considered using frangible ammunition for any type of defense. I see no reason not to use my Glock pistols, all in 9mm, for shooting a 115 grain jacketed hollow point. A 9mm round of that weight is less likely to over penetrate than a heavier bullet. The only thing I can reference that statement to is my NRA LE firearms instructors' training, my agencys' LE instructors' training and some special training I received right after 9/11 when I flew armed a lot for 5 1/2 months. It (the 115 grain JHP bullet) was the round of choice (or maybe it was mandatory, I don't remember which) due to it being less likely to over-penetrate and less likely to penetrate certain parts of an aircraft.

As is always the case anywhere, when shooting in an apartment, you want to assure, as best you can, where you bullet has the potential to go so as to avoid hitting someone other than the intended. So, instead of giving up a real bullet coming out of my pistol, I'd try to avoid shooting toward a wall that has neighbors on the other side unless of course the person causing an imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury to me left me no other choice than to shoot at an assailant in that direction. If you think that shooting frangible ammo would solve such a shoot or don't shoot dilemma, then I think you might as well be shooting rubber bullets; although, a T.A.S.E.R. would maybe serve better than either. Frangible ammo is for the range. Your opinion may differ.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    No one has ever been hit by a pass through by a FMJ or JHP handgun round from all the research I've done
    I guess this shooter must have fired a SJHP or TMJ, or wadcutter, or lead round-nose - since no one has ever been hit by a pass through FMJ or JHP.:rolleyes: Took me all of five minutes to find an article about a guy shot through a wall by a handgun round. Seriously, I kind of doubt that every person in the list of articles at this link were shot only by a rifle or shotgun, I am guessing the odds would have it some were shot by pistol ammo: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=victim+shot+through+wall&t=ffab&ia=web

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I guess this shooter must have fired a SJHP or TMJ, or wadcutter, or lead round-nose - since no one has ever been hit by a pass through FMJ or JHP.:rolleyes: Took me all of five minutes to find an article about a guy shot through a wall by a handgun round. Seriously, I kind of doubt that every person in the list of articles at this link were shot only by a rifle or shotgun, I am guessing the odds would have it some were shot by pistol ammo: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=victim+shot+through+wall&t=ffab&ia=web

The argument is not about shooting through walls, it's about rounds hitting the target, THEN hitting someone else.

No need for the snark.

Anything capable of stopping a threat will go through drywall like a hot knife through butter.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    The argument is not about shooting through walls, it's about rounds hitting the target, THEN hitting someone else.

No need for the snark.

Anything capable of stopping a threat will go through drywall like a hot knife through butter.
    I wasn't arguing just fact checking something that seemed off to me. If you can't take a joke/jab, what can I say.

Top Bottom