Hurley's Gold

Anyone using Geico for homeowners, cars?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    New homeowners renewal received and a 20% increase.

So, figured it would be good to look at other insurance companies for the house and cars. {Actually, based on their ads talking about how much you save by switching, I figure if I switch about three times the insurance company will be paying me.}

I have heard pretty good feedback on Geico. Not eligible for USAA unfortunately.

Any good/bad experience with Geico?

The rate jump is my only complaint with the current company.

EDIT: Found out Geico doesn't really offer homeowners, just refers you out to their partners. Might as well go straight to the source, I would think.

Any suggestions in general on insurance companies for home and car?

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Some years ago, I switched to Geico, and had a great driving record, and only one accident that was the fault of another driver being drunk when he hit me. Well about eight months later had an accident, which I was determined by the officer working the scene to be my fault. They did pay the other driver's claim, and my claim, but at the time of renewal, they determined I was a high-risk and wouldn't renew my policy.

So I was only with them for a year, but no, I wouldn't recommend them.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Get an independent agent. Always a better deal.

That said I was with progressive for 20 plus years till the ADDED a driver to my policy cause she had my last name. Teen agers. Then told me I had to prove she wasn't mine but finally fixed it but still charged me the 1000 dollars that month.

Phuck off I told them.

Been at gieco since but will leave them in 4 months so the guy doing t hff e house can do both.

Independent agentm

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I have USAA (I know-you don't qualify) but I also hear good stuff about Amica. Stay away from Allstate.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Get an independent agent. Always a better deal.

That said I was with progressive for 20 plus years till the ADDED a driver to my policy cause she had my last name. Teen agers. Then told me I had to prove she wasn't mine but finally fixed it but still charged me the 1000 dollars that month.

Phuck off I told them.

Been at gieco since but will leave them in 4 months so the guy doing t hff e house can do both.

Independent agentm

When my niece got her DL, my brother got her own insurance policy on her car. It was expensive, her being a new teenaged driver, but still cheaper than him adding her to his policy.

dennisz

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Pipe Creek, TX (Hill Country)
    I had Geico and had a minor accident, only me involved, foolishly I had them fix it. A year later I had another small accident, the next renewal, my rate went from $3000 a year to over $15000 per year. The thing I didn’t understand was the comprehensive on my motorhome went up to $9600 a year, and it is always garaged. Needless to say, I found another company for less than half of what Geico wanted.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    I had both homeowners and auto looked at through 3 different independent agents. All came back more for "bundled" than I could at at AAA.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Some years ago, I switched to Geico, and had a great driving record, and only one accident that was the fault of another driver being drunk when he hit me. Well about eight months later had an accident, which I was determined by the officer working the scene to be my fault. They did pay the other driver's claim, and my claim, but at the time of renewal, they determined I was a high-risk and wouldn't renew my policy.

So I was only with them for a year, but no, I wouldn't recommend them.

Did something similar to my daughter and son in law. Son in law was in a single vehicle accident. They totaled the car and paid it off.

When renewal time came they tripled their rate.

I’ve been with State Farm for over 30 years. They’ve always been competitive and the times I’ve needed them their service has been outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Did something similar to my daughter and son in law. Son in law was in a single vehicle accident. They totaled the car and paid it off.

When renewal time came they tripled their rate.

I’ve been with State Farm for over 30 years. They’ve always been competitive and the times I’ve needed them their service has been outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They didn't even offer me the option on a higher rate. Just a form letter informing me that once my policy expired, they wouldn't renew it. I ended up going with a local agent, and moved all of my insurance needs over to them. And saved money over the Geico policy.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I have had Geico for a number of years (10+) and generally have not had an issue with them even when I had 5 vehicles on the policy and teen drivers....kids cars were liability only.

Currently have 2 vehicles on one policy and a Harley Road Glide Ultra on another. So I get some multi vehicle discount. The Harley insurance with full coverage, low deductables, uninsured motorist, and medical, etc is under $700 a year.

I find the glass policy is better under Geico than USAA based on a co-workers experience. My deductible for glass was only $250 while his was closer to $500. I am eligible for USAA, may need to re-evaluate the offerings.

I also pay the $10-$15 dollars every 6 months for roadside assistance and the bit for towing.

Look for all the discounts you can get. Having a CPR certification is a discount. A $20 defensive driving course they offer online provides a discount. Memberships in various organizations also provide discounts....nickle and dime them on the discounts.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    New homeowners renewal received and a 20% increase.

So, figured it would be good to look at other insurance companies for the house and cars. {Actually, based on their ads talking about how much you save by switching, I figure if I switch about three times the insurance company will be paying me.}

I have heard pretty good feedback on Geico. Not eligible for USAA unfortunately.

Any good/bad experience with Geico?

The rate jump is my only complaint with the current company.

EDIT: Found out Geico doesn't really offer homeowners, just refers you out to their partners. Might as well go straight to the source, I would think.

Any suggestions in general on insurance companies for home and car?

oldag,

FYI, I have my car, marine & renter's insurance with Geico-Military & have been well-treated by them.
    (Once I buy another house, I will get homeowner's insurance elsewhere. - Probably through our Farm Bureau membership.)

I once had USAA but the last time that I had a damage claim (a tornado tore up my RV & PU) , the adjuster tried to say that the damage was MY FAULT, as "Your property was outside, where it could be damaged by bad weather. It should have been stored inside.".
    (As far as I know, NO human can make a tornado hit/not hit anything.)

The company ended up, after many sessions & a visit from my lawyer, paying about HALF of the damage to the 40 foot travel trailer & some of the damage to the tow vehicle.

As soon as I cashed the cashier's check, I left USAA forever.
    (USAA is CHEAP but it's NOT great, imo, IF you have a expensive & "not human caused"/"nobody at fault" loss.)

yours, satx

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I've had Geico for about 12 years. Switched from State Farm whom I had been with since I was 16 years old. So, about 43 years. They kept raising the premium every 6 months despite no accidents, no claims, no tickets, no new vehicles. I did save some money initially by switching, but Geico started doing the same thing. My wife had a minor at fault fender bender and Geico paid the other driver's claim, but we only had liabilty on hers, so that was out of our pocket. Geico didn't raise our rates for that. Accident forgiveness or some such thing.

But then, a year later, she barely bumped some guys classic car in the HEB parking lot. The guy called the cops. The cop could not see any damage at all, but the guy filed a claim against our insurance. And they paid him something. That's when our rates jumped up about $100 semi annually. They came back down tho after about 3 years of no claims. Our semi annual premium is due in June. They reduced it by 10% because something something Covid-19.

I hate car insurance. Why can't we just go to no fault where my company pays my damages and your company pays your damages?

Top Bottom