ARJ Defense ad

Anyone want to split a large order of Gold Dot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nullrejector

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Austin
    I'm going to order a case of Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124 +P here: AMMOMAN.com. SPEER 9MM GOLD DOT 124 GRAIN +P
    I don't need a whole case so I'm wanting to split 500 rds. with 1 other person, or split 1000 rds. with 1-2 other people (I only need 250-350 rds.). I'm willing to pay for the ammo up front; so I just need a commitment to split it after it arrives. I can meet anywhere from Austin to Giddings.

Anyone interested?
    Guns International

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    It might not be a "need", but you will certainly shoot it if you keep it.

1000 rounds goes pretty damn quick through a pistol.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    Speer Gold Dot is my favorite projectile. When I reloaded, is used them in my .45. How much are they charging for 1,000 rounds?

-Glen, Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Why train with one load and carry another?

Makes no sense to me. Which is why I reload mostly hollow points.

Nullrejector

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Austin
    Why train with one load and carry another?...

Because I can't afford to train with SD ammo. I don't know any serious trainer or competition shooter that uses SD ammo for training. I run at least 200 rounds through a gun to ensure reliability, then I'll occasionally empty (shoot) my carry mags.

Also, with 9mm I don't notice the extra power from SD loads affecting my shooting much. The only exception to this is a .38 Special +P in something like a S&W 442--the extra power is noticeable, so I do tend to train more with SD ammo with that gun (and I don't burn through so much ammo with the 442).

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Because paper targets can't tell the difference between JHP and FMJ.

The same could be said for bad guys.

I think it's a bit comical when I hear guys say that a gun isn't reliable until you run a thousand rounds down the tube. Then in almost the same breath, say that it's ok to only run a box or two of "SD" ammo through it.

I rely more on getting valid hits on the intended target than I do on carrying a magic bullet. But that's just one man's opinion.

Nullrejector

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Austin
    How often do you guys "practice"? It's common for me to run through 500-1000 rds. per week "practicing", and I'm not using Gold Dot to do it. That being said, I think there is a difference between running 1000 rds. through a gun to check out the gun, and running 200 rds. of SD ammo though a gun to test that particular load in a gun that already demonstrated reliability.

In my opinion, if you restrict yourself to practicing with only your carry load, you are restricting your practice (unless you are rich).

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    The same could be said for bad guys.

I think it's a bit comical when I hear guys say that a gun isn't reliable until you run a thousand rounds down the tube. Then in almost the same breath, say that it's ok to only run a box or two of "SD" ammo through it.

I rely more on getting valid hits on the intended target than I do on carrying a magic bullet. But that's just one man's opinion.

To your first statement, I disagree. A quality JHP is typically going to stop a threat more effectively than FMJ range ammo.

To the rest of your comments, your logic escapes me, but if someone wants to waste money practicing at the range, that's none of my business.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    To your first statement, I disagree. A quality JHP is typically going to stop a threat more effectively than FMJ range ammo.

To the rest of your comments, your logic escapes me, but if someone wants to waste money practicing at the range, that's none of my business.

Vital organs and/or major arteries/veins aren't going to know that it was an expensive JHP that it was just perforated with versus a FMJ. A shot to the vitals is a shot to the vitals.

Don't get hung up on the marketing of a bullet. Shot placement is everything, because getting close only counts with horseshoes and hand-grenades.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Vital organs and/or major arteries/veins aren't going to know that it was an expensive JHP that it was just perforated with versus a FMJ. A shot to the vitals is a shot to the vitals.

Don't get hung up on the marketing of a bullet. Shot placement is everything, because getting close only counts with horseshoes and hand-grenades.

I don't get hung up on marketing, I get hung up on ballistics gel covered with clothing, expansion, jacket separation and weight retention. Personally, if my vitals were going to be hit in a gunfight, I'd take a non-expanding FMJ over JHP any day of the week. Ask yourself the same question. But, I digress and we are way off topic. The OP won't be using the SGD for practice, so your comment about running through it quickly is moot. End of story. :)

stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement
    @ nullrejector: :) Is what happened upon reading this, I think we could be friends.

I'd be down to split but I just re-upped my carry ammo. I generally shoot and replace it every 3-4 months.

Have you tried GT distributors? That is generally where I get my carry ammo from.

Nullrejector

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Austin
    @ nullrejector: :) Is what happened upon reading this, I think we could be friends.

I'd be down to split but I just re-upped my carry ammo. I generally shoot and replace it every 3-4 months.

Have you tried GT distributors? That is generally where I get my carry ammo from.

:)
    When I last called GT dist., they were out. I guess I should call again.
    :)

Top Bottom