• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Project325

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    San Antonio
    I need a new/used car and wanted something for road trippin and campin. The E30 gets kinda cramped on those sorts of outings. I was looking at used 4runners but have found some Xterras that have peaked my interest.

Any thoughts or opinions welcome. Thx.

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've owned a Jeep Cherokee... Never again. There's a reason they're all over the place.

???

I would rate the Cherokee over the Xterra.

Xterras are good, but IMO Nissan doesn't build an engine that's put together as well as the Jeep 4.0. Haven't seen any real major flaws with the Xterras I've worked on, though.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    i was looking at xterras a few years back. the one thing that annoyed the hell out of me is the rear doors. the wheel well goes through half of it, therefore getting in/out of the back seat is kind of a pain in the ass.

512Ram

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Central Texas
    I was recently looking into an xterra for my little sister and asked 2 friends that have owned one. None had anything bad to say.

One of my friends was involved in a pile up in Houston on I-10. A lot of vehicles were sandwiched, included his, but he said of all the cars, the xterra was the only one of all the cars involved in the wreck that was capable of driving away.

Project325

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    San Antonio
    Great feedback, thanks! My experience with Jeep wasn't a good, so I haven't even considered another one. I would love a Wrangler, but not enough room for kids and gear.

I checked out an Xterra forum. One of the main complaints was lack of power. I'm not looking to win any races with it. Guess I need to just drive one and see.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Had one a while back, Pre turbo.

It was comfortable to ride in and drive but way underpowered V6 and horrible mileage.

These things may have changed. I always thought it was really close to being a bad ass vehicle but just fell a little short and became mediocre.

Again, that was an older one, 2002 I think.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    There is a 2000 SE in my driveway. It has 185k on it. We drove the living hell out of it and gave it to the MIL at 150k. She doesn't drive any more, it's waiting until the Relation that is driving the MIL to the doc needs a vehicle. About the worst thing I can say about that vehicle is the torsion bars got tired around 2010. You will see the first gen X's sagging in the front. We replaced them and the thing drives like new. Window seals are starting to give up the ghost, 14 years in the Texas sun will do that. It's a hard choice between that Xterra and my Titan when choosing my all time favorite vehicle.

No experience with the newer X's, but Nissan has yet to do me wrong across 7 Nissans and over 1 million miles.

Best part ; they aren't built by the UAW.

NightTrainHD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Richmond, Tx
    I have an 06 two wheel drive. Mine has the 4.0L in it. Was not a big fan of the 3.3L. Being in the auto repair business for over 25 years, compairing the Xterra with all other SUVs I do not see many problems at all in them.

Project325

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    San Antonio
    Ok, checked it out and wasn't impressed. Pretty rough around the edges, but didn't care for the ride either.

What I'm trying to do is find alternate transportation so I can get my BMW off the road for repairs. I figured if I'm getting another car, might as well get something that serves a purpose.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I had a 2007 Xterra that I bought new and loved it. Wish I had kept it. Very functional. I own 3 Jeeps right now and would buy an Xterra any day over a Cherokee. Not to mention there is no such thing as a "low mile" 4.0 Cherokee anymore.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You selling the e30?

I don't really have any input on the Xterra, but when it comes to real SUVs I'd say Toyota -> Ford -> Chevy -> then everything else :rolleyes:
    My girlfriend has an LJ that I really like but it sucks for road trips. Loud and kinda cramped. The Jeep 4.0 is a great engine as far as reliability and maintenance, tho...

Last edited:

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I have a 2011 pro-4x.

70k trouble free miles. Rear shocks are being replaced with a lift. Adding shrockworks front and rear.

i like it. I would look at a 2006 and up.

gripes? Rear seat leg room maybe.

Top Bottom