Lynx Defense

Anyone with Experience in Laser Designators?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I am considering one for hog hunting. Currently, I've been switching between a Kill Light XLR250 and a custom made super thrower. However, I saw a laser designator for $140 and am wondering how they'll do. I do not have NV, and understand that some use the LD in conjunction with a NV optic.

Anyone with thoughts to share on laser designators would be appreciated.
    Hurley's Gold

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I have a green laser designator on my .300BLK hog gun. It works great. It's been responsible for more than a few gut piles. Just make sure to get one rated to 0 degrees Fahrenheit. They don't work very well in the cold otherwise.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Are you going to be calling in air strikes on the hogs?

utuva6a6.jpg

I know what your talking about and I used one once and went straight back to my pvs14. Those things are more of a novelty in my opinion. Had a friend shine one at a cop as he drove past, that was a bad night for my friend.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    That's me in the camo. I'm working on getting some goggles that don't look so dorky.

TXAR, couple questions. What model do you have? How far does it throw a usable beam? What optic are you using with it?

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I use the hand held ND5 and a rifle mounted ND3. they are both by Laser Genetics. The 5 is used as a locator and the 3 is used for precision shots.
    Both are effective to about 200 yards.

I use the ND5 paired with a pair of Nikon binoculars to locate the herd or individual, then switch to the mounted ND3 and my scope. The scope I'm using currently is the Nikon P-223 which works pretty well but I'm thinking about replacing it with a scope that is more suited to the .300 round.

The key to using laser designators effectively is to point the light at the ground in front of you and then slowly run it onto your target area. If you start by shining directly onto the target area there's a good chance you'll spook your target.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Great info there, thanks. I'm looking at a cheap copy of the ND3 for $140, so might pick that up and give it a shot.

Santa brought me a great set of field binoculars for Christmas, so I will probably spend more time with those than staring through my heavy rifle scope.

I have had good luck starting my flashlight in the air and then bringing it down to the target, but good to know that it works the other way as well.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rgomez5329
    Top Bottom