• ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    majormadmax,

Perhaps the "relatively soft" CB spreads out & fills the bore at that velocity?? = The standard .323 size CB seems to be OK at "woods hunting" ranges.
    I cannot say how the CB would do beyond 50-100M, as you cannot see farther than that in the dense brush where our family hunts.
    (I'd guess that most of the WT/pigs that are taken on our farm are killed at 20-50M, with the nearest kill, by my 1st cousin in 2011, at 8 long steps.)

At that "brush hunting range" most any firearm will work OK. = The most deer taken since 1940 on our farm was by my uncle (He ALWAYS got his deer until his passing in 2012.), who commonly shot lead bullet reloads out of an OLD/battle-scarred Savage 99 LA in .32-40, which is by no means a "powerful rifle".

yours, satx
    Military Camp

Last edited:

Fishhooker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2016
    Alvarado
    Been doing a bit of research. It seems the bores were unchanged between the 8x50R and 8x56R conversions. The 8x50R was loaded with a lead projectile and relied on obturation to fill the .329 barrel.

The 8x56R switched to a jacketed, pointed projectile that was sized at .329 because the jacketed bullets did not obturate. I guess the trick with cast bullets would be to start somewhere in the middle to find the perfect size for accuracy with the least barrel leading.

Top Bottom